• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Mike that is extremely helpful. I've heard Alden fits can be tricky at first until dialed in. I don't want to spend loads of cash only to get the wrong sized shoe or finally get it right on the umteenth try. I actually was able to snag a gently used pair of BB unlined black shell in 11D and those fit just swell as well. Would a 12B be too long in the loafer? I intentionally go half size down in AE loafers becasue the 12's just get too flip-flop like when I put them on.

I guess the question becomes that if I wanted to dip a toe into Alden from eBay in these BB loafers (shell), I think 11.5C or 12B is a much rarer beast than the D widths so I might have trouble getting a pair at a steep discount (albeit worn). That's a personal decision I guess and I will probably have to buy new if I want those widths.

The other question I have is, Alden seems to mark their shoes "12 D/B" for example like they are saying it's two widths. I am confused with their nomenclature because Allen Edmonds for example just says 12D. Can you enlighten me?

P.S.

What size shoe trees should one use for 11D LHS or unlined BB? I currently have split toe Woodlore in XL in them but I don't want to stretch the shoe out too much. The toes of the LHS seem wider than the AE L solid toe trees. I usually use XL solid toe in my 12D AE shoes and L solid toe in my 11.5D AE loafers. Sorry for the confusing thoughts!

Very interesting to hear, thank you. I've heard that tossed around as well with regards to AE's Patriot and Grayson loafer. I have the Grayson in shell and i has a low vamp and seems to fit me without issue. Also their Patriot (in suede) seem to fit fine, too. I think loafers have a lot less room for error as there are no laces to fix a slight size issue.

First, Alden marks their shoes with a "split last" notation, where the 12 B/D is a B width in the heel and a D width at the ball of the foot (widest part of the foot). This technically is what most vendors would just label as a D width. All Aldens of recent have this notation with the exception of the Brooks Brother models, which just use their wider (ball) width and they are always "2" widths apart between the heel/ball width. Thus a C width would be A/C and a B width would be AA/B, etc.

I would highly recommend going to a bigger shop and trying on the various widths. If doing this, I would call ahead and request that they get the widths from Alden or just to ensure that they have them. The Tassel is a catalog shoe and is readily available to all vendors in any width upon their request.

As per your question on the 12B being too long, you may be surprised. I wear a 11B and was not expecting that at all myself when I first walked into an Alden store. My personal experience was at Alden of San Francisco and they pulled out the B, C, D width for their Tassels for 10, 10.5, and 11. I tried them on without knowing what they were and as soon as I put on the 11B, I knew that was the perfect size for me. In general, there is always a good fit and a best fit, for me, 11B is my best fit on the Aberdeen Last. I can make other fits work okay, but nothing fits me quite like the 11B does.

-Mike

Misterg12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chippy, thank you, I most certainly will. Your King Tassels are looking fantastic today my friend!

Matthew, those are looking absolutely stellar. Such a great and gorgeous boot!

-Mike
Thank you Michael.

Misterg12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh my, those are stunning! And as usual, best photos of shoes on the net!
Thank you sir. Not sure about that. Been getting a lot of stiff competition lately .

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what does a used whiskey indy go for these days?

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, Alden marks their shoes with a "split last" notation, where the 12 B/D is a B width in the heel and a D width at the ball of the foot (widest part of the foot). This technically is what most vendors would just label as a D width. All Aldens of recent have this notation with the exception of the Brooks Brother models, which just use their wider (ball) width and they are always "2" widths apart between the heel/ball width. Thus a C width would be A/C and a B width would be AA/B, etc.

I would highly recommend going to a bigger shop and trying on the various widths. If doing this, I would call ahead and request that they get the widths from Alden or just to ensure that they have them. The Tassel is a catalog shoe and is readily available to all vendors in any width upon their request.

As per your question on the 12B being too long, you may be surprised. I wear a 11B and was not expecting that at all myself when I first walked into an Alden store. My personal experience was at Alden of San Francisco and they pulled out the B, C, D width for their Tassels for 10, 10.5, and 11. I tried them on without knowing what they were and as soon as I put on the 11B, I knew that was the perfect size for me. In general, there is always a good fit and a best fit, for me, 11B is my best fit on the Aberdeen Last. I can make other fits work okay, but nothing fits me quite like the 11B does.

-Mike

Very good info about the notation, that makes complete sense now.

Not sure what stores with any sort of inventory exist in St. Louis since I'm new to the area but I'll try to find one and stop by!

Fantastic, thank you! I guess it's probably best to blind size to avoid any sort of bias! :fonz:

Sonoran Desert

Well I wish I was there!!

DuckOB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hope everyone is doing well. I have a couple of boots i am looking to trade. Thought i would share on the thread before posting in B&S. First up is #8 Tanker - the original tanker as it is on the 379 x last. Size 9d with crepe sole. These were seconds as they have a dye run on one side. see pic below. I think its cool as it shows the ever changing color change of shell. I would love to swap for a size 9.5d or e in the exact makeup. This is probably my favorite boot but my feet are getting old and spreading so i need to size up. I am open to other swaps, black shell, suede in barrie and 379x lasts. Size 9d or e in barrie and 9.5 in 379x last. I'd also swap for some vibergs. shoe trees not included. If you are interested din buying send me an offer

thx
DSC_0005.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG
DSC_0007.JPG

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very good info about the notation, that makes complete sense now.

Not sure what stores with any sort of inventory exist in St. Louis since I'm new to the area but I'll try to find one and stop by!

Fantastic, thank you! I guess it's probably best to blind size to avoid any sort of bias! :fonz:

Well I wish I was there!!

You won't find much inventory at a store in St. Louis (especially non-D width). Your best bet is to stop by Alden of DC, Alden of San Francisco or Alden of Madison (NYC) next time you're in one of those cities.

DuckOB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok second offering. Looking for some grails. Grail for grail. Want to trade these 2015 TSM Cigar Indy size 9 for some Cigar, Ravello or whiskey. Preferably for size 9 barrie NST or plain toe boot or 9.5 in 379x. I can probably do a 9.5 in barrie as well U tip in Cigar, Ravello or whiskey would work as well as Viberg shell in size 9.5 i think...maybe 9 These have been worn about 8 hours in the house over the last 3 years trying to make them work...I just can't wear trubalance last Let me know your offer!
DSC_0009.JPG
DSC_0008.JPG

BS68280

Reaction score
Picked up the Unlined suede cukkas from a member here and absolutely love them. I still can’t believe how comfortable they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads