• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianshaft

Reaction score
i use a heel pad on my left 986, but nothing on my right, with no ill effects

Yea I have one on my right shoe the foot must be smaller but there is just the slightest bit of slippage I only feel it when stepping down feels like it hits the floor before my foot. Other than that the fit is great I even wear thicker socks cause I have oddly thin heels

DigDug

Reaction score
I bought a pair of Kudu's for each of my Boys. Same size,Leather,style.
one pair from Sherman Brothers and a pair from TheShoeMart.
Oddly they seem to be a little different.
The Alden Logo on the GoodYear Lug Rubber Outsole is raised and the other flat.
There also seems to be a one piece Outsole/Heel and the Other has a two piece.

Is there a reason for this? would one pair be considered preferred?
Just mildly odd....

thams

Reaction score
I went to lunch at Union Station (DC) today and may have seen someone wearing Alden #8 boots. Guy was walking in front of me so didn't get to see the front. Looked like #8 shell with commando soles. Blue shirt and tan pants. Anyone?

I don't think I've ever seen Alden shell in the wild here and I take the metro. Maybe that's why, lol.

Wasn't me, but I was wearing #8 boots and did ride the metro. I'm not sure I've seen a shell sighting on the metro, period. I don't claim to be the most fashionable gentleman, but I'm head and shoulders above 99% of the men I see on the metro - especially on the shoe-front.

Xenos

Reaction score
Black shell tankers on Trubalance with Commando sole from Alden SF:

FullSizeRender (20).jpg
FullSizeRender (21).jpg
FullSizeRender (22).jpg

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't checked this thread in a couple of weeks. I'm saddened to hear the news of Uncle Mac's passing. Like many of you, his photos were a major part of why I developed an interest in Alden shoes. I didn't know him as well as many of you, but he was always cordial with me, PMed me on occasion and gave me shoe advice. He was a pioneer of Styleforum and probably the major reason this thread maintains a unique decorum and comraderie. I will be wearing color 8 tomorrow in his honor. R.I.P.

Hill

Reaction score
Wasn't me, but I was wearing #8 boots and did ride the metro. I'm not sure I've seen a shell sighting on the metro, period. I don't claim to be the most fashionable gentleman, but I'm head and shoulders above 99% of the men I see on the metro - especially on the shoe-front.

Yeah I haven't seen shell or even many goodyear welt shoes/boots on the metro. An Allen Edmunds every so often but that's about it. I thought someone a while back, maybe a few years ago now, had been talking with Kathy at Alden DC about a potential meetup. That could be fun.

mrfixit

Reaction score
if you are a size 12E Aberdeen, heads up on a whiskey nst shoe available at Alden Madison as of yesterday.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you are a size 12E Aberdeen, heads up on a whiskey nst shoe available at Alden Madison as of yesterday.

that's probably the pair I turned down a month or two ago, was supposed to have been a saddle but was mistakenly made up as a regular nst.

iirc from the photo sent to me, the color is nice, hopefully someone jumps on it

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, I need a pair of king LWB. I haven't owned a pair in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads