• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

djbanor

Reaction score
Anyone here have any experience using Saphir RenoMat to remove excess polish/paste wax from Alden shell? Is the stuff safe to use?

djbanor

Reaction score
Nice. But are your pants that high or are you pulling them upp?
I think they are that high in a sitting position. Once he's standing they probably fall just above the shoes. I prefer this 'no-break' look, personally.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they are that high in a sitting position. Once he's standing they probably fall just above the shoes. I prefer this 'no-break' look, personally.

Ah of course he is sitting down. Didn't see that. My bad. :facepalm:

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, I was sitting. The hem is sloppy because these are cuffed under. I'm waiting to wash them a few times before hemming.

Dude, I wasn't critizing your pants. They're fine. Don't worry. :smile: I was just wondering about the length.

Anyway, wear in good health. Great shoes!

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone here have any experience using Saphir RenoMat to remove excess polish/paste wax from Alden shell? Is the stuff safe to use?

Reno Mat is fairly aggressive and my personal decision to use it is dependent on the condition of the shoe and the need for these measures. I am referring you to the vcleat.com blog by SF member @davidVC. David says, "Reno’Mat is my choice for cleaning Shell Cordovan. It generally will remove old wax and polish without harming the finish of the leather." He has numerous posts about using Reno mat on shell, including this one where he restored a pair of vintage Nettleton shell long wings. Check it out here. I would also recommend the vintage shoe appreciation thread where such things are occasionally discussed or the shoe care thread.

Here are the before and after pictures of the Nettletons David restored. Pretty amazing.

Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 10.09.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 10.09.47 AM.png

djbanor

Reaction score
Reno Mat is fairly aggressive and my personal decision to use it is dependent on the condition of the shoe and the need for these measures. I am referring you to the vcleat.com blog by SF member @davidVC . He has numerous posts about using Reno mat on shell, including this one where he restored a pair of vintage Nettleton shell long wings. Check it out here. I would also recommend the vintage shoe appreciation thread where such things are occasionally discussed or the shoe care thread.
Thanks! I did see the post about his Nettleton restoration, which was very informative. I'll check out the vintage shoe thread as well. :smile:

katch

Reaction score

I would recommend renoMat for a restoration project. I do not use it for anything else

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Thursday forum pals.

FullSizeRender.jpg

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice. But are your pants that high or are you pulling them upp?

He's probably seated, right? My cuffs ride up a little when I sit.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I did see the post about his Nettleton restoration, which was very informative. I'll check out the vintage shoe thread as well. :smile:

I used Renomat on my old shell Florsheims (they turned 49 last month) and it worked great. You have to condition them after (I did three rounds, but it was an old-shoe-resto - you could do one or two), and things can look a little scary during the process, but it worked great.
3EsbDHA.jpg

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
eBay nor my waiting lists are scratching my itch.

Anyone with some spare exotic shell, preferably loafers in a 9.5 (9 barrie) that need a new home, HMU while my wine glass is still full.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know, I know, I just posted these on Wednesday. But for me, they were always intended to be a casual shoe and now that they have some scuffs and rolls, I'm not uncomfortable wearing them on jeans Friday.

20170512_054341.jpg

20170512_054712.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics