The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HenryIII

HenryIII Senior member

Killing it JSO, great combo

2. Rstldr

Rstldr Senior member

Indys and chups. Good day gents!
    [​IMG]

3. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

JJ, thanks for your comments! You already have a few lovely Aldens there. As @Burzan stated, the shoes will indeed lighten up with time and wear. Alden or Horween has been making them darker recently. Yes, wait until my Color 8 family photo in a few weeks, Color 8 indeed has a crazy amount of color variation.

I concur with @Burzan 's sizing advice and perspective on the compression of the sole, but with minimal to no stretching of the upper.

Unfortunately, Shell Cordovan will roll. All of the shoes in "My Collection" pages are new. Because I am religious about taking photos of them before I wear them. Other than that, I spend about 15-20 minutes per pair shining my shoes between each wearing, utilizing the techniques posted on my blog or on the third post here.

Glad to help! Ha, I have many planned articles for my blog upcoming, I am heavily time limited though, unfortunately. One of the planned articles is a comprehensive story on the Alden outsole options. Another one is going to be on the edge/welt colors. They will all get done in due time... Also, gives me or people things to look forward to! :)

To specifically answer your bottom question...

Leather Outsole = Oak Leather Outsole = Typically its just a oak tanned piece of leather. This typically refers to a Single Leather Outsole. There is the Double Leather (which is just two attached to one another for extra thickness)
    Flexible Leather Sole = Oil Tanned Sole = Flex Welt = A leather sole that I believe is oak tanned and then soaked in oil. The oil soaking is done at the Alden factory, so this is an Alden only option really that I have seen. This is supposed to provide superior inclement weather performance and its supposed to be softer (thus the name flex welt is associated with it).
    Waterlock Leather Sole = Double Waterlock Sole = A leather outsole with a second oil soaked outsole under it, so its twice the thickness and has the oiled outsole on the bottom for water protection (since water and oil repel each other)

Copley Last is actually a Last, or wood form, in which the shoes are made around. Not a whole lot of shoes are made around the copley, just a few loafers really.

-Mike

4. mdubs

Looking great in your Ravello CT Boots @JSO1 . Enjoy them today. Like the pairing with the lovely textured navy slacks.

Looking good in your Indy Boots. Great casual pairing with the CHUPs and Selvedge.

-Mike

5. bm93

bm93 Senior member

More and more, I find myself warming up to wingtip boots. These are unbelievable. What last are they made on? Most of the wingtip boots I've seen are on Barrie and have speed hooks.

6. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

^ looks like plaza to me

7. mdubs

They are indeed made on the Plaza Last. From LeatherSoul about 5 years ago.

-Mike

8. Don L

Don L Senior member

Black Calf NST

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

Where did you get them? Those look amazing. Great pants, too!

10. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

I would disagree with Mike on this. CXL is the stretchiest material I've ever worn on my feet. I have some Alden 403 boots that once fit pretty snug and are much less so now, even with thick socks. I actually had to let my D width 403 go because they became sloppy.

Are these new? If so, your foot will compress the cork under the insole a bit which will also help.

11. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

Yep. I am 12D on the Brannock, but with relatively wide toes. I wear 11.5D on Barrie in shell, but non-shell is a bit too narrow in the toe box due to the elasticity of the material during lasting.

The trubalance is a wide last, so I wear a 12C in my 403 for a decent fit. I might able to wear a B, but have never seen one. I was fortunate to come across the 12C on the seconds list.

12. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

If you mean the FJ Classics Dry Premiere, they were made in FJ's own factory in Massachusetts (not made by AE). I've tried AE golf shoes on several occasions and they are no match for the Dry Premiere... (not even close)
    [​IMG]

White pebble grain saddle on thick leather sole... best golf shoe ever! (so sad to see their factory close down)

13. ReppTiePrepster

I believe B Nelson can do it.

14. ReppTiePrepster

Fabulous DV! One of my favorites of yours...

15. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

RepTie. Great post.. Those are exactly what I mean. Best golf shoe ever. I'll post mine later..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.