• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnu

Reaction score
Is there a good place in or around Salt Lake City or good cobbler send my boots to to get eyelets on a pair of shell longwings?

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, I am normally a Barrie 10 but just grabbed some Leffot Natural Chromexcel Longwings in 9.5 hoping those might work for me. They are a bit snug across the vamp. In your experience, do you think these will stretch and "give" a bit with some wear? Thanks in advance for any advice you might have……...

Are they only snug across the vamp? not too short? as mdubs mentioned probably not a good idea however if the length is fine at least CXL is probably the leather that will stretch the most I have found. I would put a few gym socks on a shoe tree and leave that over night then add another sock the next night - I did this with my CXL indies and it worked. Also wear the hell out of them - wearing something once a month is not going to get it done.

Wesley Crusher

Reaction score
I don't know it's the "Mac" method, but I bring mine to work and wear them around my carpeted office for usually 2 days. I usually do quite a bit of walking throughout the day. After that I wear them as normal. My toe tends to drag a little so I like to get the soles a little flexible before their first walk on concrete.

I suppose I could do that. I also do quite a bit of walking throughout the day at the office. I'd feel a bit funny changing shoes at the office though, ha!

MT1982

Reaction score
Give Voltaire and Pascal a call tomorrow. It's not on their site, but they do stock it.

Found a reference...

https://www.instagram.com/p/9G3A2Kt9YO/?taken-by=citishoes_

-Mike

Interesting. Those are like NST's without the center stitching that goes to the sole. Most Indy's, aside from shell varieties, don't have a raised portion between the stitching. Even other suede models still look flat between the toe stitches. This one is raised like an NST. Pretty cool! Thanks for the tip!

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Chippy, they are from Alden DC.

Thanks. I really love them as well. They are like the absolute perfect suit shoe for San Diego, as it's a more casual atmosphere in general. The Whiskey color makes it a pidge more casual, but the wingtip and balmoral also means you mean business. :)

I almost always get comments on these shoes when I wear them. I hardly ever get comments on my shoes in general.

-Mike

This seems like a crime against nature! your whiskey bals are awesome, Dubsy!

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Interesting.  Those are like NST's without the center stitching that goes to the sole.  Most Indy's, aside from shell varieties, don't have a raised portion between the stitching.  Even other suede models still look flat between the toe stitches.  This one is raised like an NST.  Pretty cool!  Thanks for the tip!

Hmmm. I did not notice that. I could be wrong, but this looks hand stitched to me. The hand stitching I believe typically has the bulge behavior that you are referring to. It's a nice touch on that boot. Especially for a non-shell makeup.

-Mike

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My fiancé was able to see the divots when the boots were worn, so they are slightly noticeable.
i would send them back.
Color 8 Tankers x AoM today. The shell on these is so thick it's crazy.

nice pairing with dress trousers. i haven't tried that... yet.
Do you all follow the Mac break-in method for new shoes? I wore my boots for a few days inside of my house before I took them out, but I'm not sure how much of a difference it made.
yes. i wear leather soles indoors for an hour or 2. don't deed to with commando soles.
Whiskey Wednesday. Alden x DC Whiskey Wingtip Balmoral on the Tremont Last.

fantastic combo with blue marcolianis.
DV, your boot collection remains the gold (or cigar/ravello/whiskey) standard in my estimation!
DV, those Cigars are looking superb. I am just looking forward to the day when no older Alden boot laces are available and you are stuck doing an entire boot with unexposed eyelets with the new thicker Alden laces... ;-) Regardless, those are superb. How about a more downward angle so that we can enjoy the Plaza-ness?
Those are superb. Wow.

thanks for the kind words gentlemen.
dubs, i'll steal your old laces if these ever snap.

AliMurtaza

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a 10.5 B on brannock. On the Barrie last, my size is 9.5 C. 9.5 D was loose and 10.5 B was tight across the vamp. For the Indy boots that are on the Trubalance last, should I take the same size 9.5 C or try either 9.5 B or 10 B? Asking this because apparently Trubalance is wider than Barrie.

Thank you

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Hi,

I am a 10.5 B on brannock. On the Barrie last, my size is 9.5 C. 9.5 D was loose and 10.5 B was tight across the vamp. For the Indy boots that are on the Trubalance last, should I take the same size 9.5 C or try either 9.5 B or 10 B? Asking this because apparently Trubalance is wider than Barrie.

Thank you

Personally, I would start with 9.5C. I wear 10.5B on both. Anyone size differently between the Barrie and TB?

-Mike

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

I love this makeup. I'm on the list (1st or 2nd in my size, I think), but who knows how long it'll be. Now that I have a similar makeup I am somewhat sated, but your pair is such an incredible shade of whiskey.

Hot freaking damn!

This seems like a crime against nature! your whiskey bals are awesome, Dubsy!

Thanks guys. Not a worry on my end P! Yeah, you are in good hands J! :)

-Mike

jjschube

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm sure these questions have been asked and answered a million times but, I am new here so cut me some slack! :)

I just got the Color 8 Plaza NST from Brick and Mortar and they are almost black. Will they lighten up over time? I didn't know there was so much variance in the Color 8 and was really hoping for that eggplant color.

My Brannock size is a 10.5 D/E (right in between). I have a 10.5 on the Aberdeen last (calf) that I wear all the time and it fits great.

I also have two shell plaza last Aldens in a 10.5, the NST 8 and the PTB Cigar. They're a little tight but I have only worn one of the five times and the other never because it's been snowing a lot lately. Will they stretch out at all?

Would you advise going to a 10 or staying at a 10.5 in the Barrie last?

And lastly, is there anything you can do to minimize the rolls in the cordovan. All of Mike's shoes ( Alden of San Diego) look brand new. How does he do it!?

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys,

I'm sure these questions have been asked and answered a million times but, I am new here so cut me some slack! :)

I just got the Color 8 Plaza NST from Brick and Mortar and they are almost black. Will they lighten up over time? I didn't know there was so much variance in the Color 8 and was really hoping for that eggplant color.

My Brannock size is a 10.5 D/E (right in between). I have a 10.5 on the Aberdeen last  (calf) that I wear all the time and it fits great.  

I also have two shell plaza last Aldens in a 10.5, the NST 8 and the PTB Cigar. They're a little tight but I have only worn one of the five times and the other never because it's been snowing a lot lately. Will they stretch out at all?

Would you advise going to a 10 or staying at a 10.5 in the Barrie last?

And lastly, is there anything you can do to minimize the rolls in the cordovan.  All of Mike's shoes ( Alden of San Diego) look brand new.  How does he do it!?

Your dark color 8 will lighten with time, wear, and exposure to natural light.

I would try the 10D Barrie, it's a pretty roomy last so it might work. You might need a 10E though.

Cordovan will not stretch much at all but the insoles will compress to give you a little room once they break in, if your tightness is in the toes you may need a 10.5E in the plaza last.

Mikes shoes look new because many of them are very new, he acquired many of his pairs over the last few years and has a very large rotation. He also puts in The time after each wear to reduce the rolls, see his tutorial on Alden of San Diego. In my experience if they are going to crease they will crease, you can put in the work to reduce the rolls but they will come back the next time you wear if that's what your stride dictates. Embrace the rolls.

Last edited:

g2cdk

Reaction score
Thanks, your Color 8's are looking superb.
Welcome, hope that you grow to enjoy Alden as much as we do...

Answers are as follows.

1. We for ease say Alden x Brick+Mortar to mean that it was a special makeup from Brick+Mortar for example...
2. The 911 is a Semi-Brogue, which is a balmoral. The Alt Wien that Mike is known for is a Blucher. Essentially the same design, just a Blucher which tends to be more casual...
3. The flex welt is a single leather sole that has been soaked in oil to provide a) water resistance and b) flexibility. The flex welt tends to be a bit softer and malleable than the standard single leather sole. The regular sole is a typical oak tanned leather sole. Comfort is relative to be more direct, it's initially more comfy.
4. The PTB is the standard model, i.e. 990, it's made out of a single piece of Shell Cordovan (well plus the tongue). The eyelets are attached via an extension flap. The Dover is a three piece makeup. The eyelet piece extends down to the sole on the side in a curved fashion. The Dover is common on unlined makeup so...

Dover:

Standard (Wholecut):

-Mike
Thank you Mike:) I read the info on your website and it is helpful. There are too many outsoles to choose from, can you add a sole option part on your website? It will help us a lot to choose Alden shoes of different soles.
I list some outsoles that Alden use:
neoprene cork sole, Leather outsoles, Double Oak Leather Outsoles, Single Oak Leather Outsoles, Single flexible leather sole, Flex oil tanned leather sole, Waterlock Double Leather Sole, Commando Sole, Mini lug rubber outsoles, Microcellular Rubber Outsole......
I cannot figure out the subtle difference among those leather outsoles, such as leather outsole, oak leather sole, flexible leather sole, oil tanned leather sole, waterlock leather sole, and copley last (looks like a flex sole or something).

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ravello Cap Toe Boot x DC today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads