1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrisefi

chrisefi Senior Member

Beautiful Cigar Indy boots! I love what you paired them with. Thanks for sharing!

I am a huge fan of these boots! I have the DC version as well. However every time I see the Barrie AoM version, I think how great they look on that last too. This would actually be one I'd buy both versions in a heartbeat.

You wear them well. Enjoy!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016

2. ironclad

ironclad Senior Member

3. stevefok

stevefok Senior Member

So many great listings in size 8.5D, why not some in 7.5D? Lol

4. g2cdk

g2cdk Member

I am new to the Alden family, after buying some Aldens and reading some posts, I have some questions:
    1. What's the X mean in the 'Alden X'? I think it means exclusive, but I want to confirm.
    2. Epaulet is know for its AWB(Alt Wien Blucher). Is Alden's Stock Model 911 an AWB?
    3. What's the difference between flex sole and regular sole? Does flex sole give more comfortable?
    4. What's the different between PTB and Dover Blucher? They look the same for me.
    Thank you!

5. linafelt

linafelt Distinguished Member

Does anyone happen to know any place that stocks boots with either the crepe sole or the Vibram-esque rubber sole in E widths?

6. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Thanks, your Color 8's are looking superb.

Welcome, hope that you grow to enjoy Alden as much as we do...

Answers are as follows.

1. We for ease say Alden x Brick+Mortar to mean that it was a special makeup from Brick+Mortar for example...
    2. The 911 is a Semi-Brogue, which is a balmoral. The Alt Wien that Mike is known for is a Blucher. Essentially the same design, just a Blucher which tends to be more casual...
    3. The flex welt is a single leather sole that has been soaked in oil to provide a) water resistance and b) flexibility. The flex welt tends to be a bit softer and malleable than the standard single leather sole. The regular sole is a typical oak tanned leather sole. Comfort is relative to be more direct, it's initially more comfy.
    4. The PTB is the standard model, i.e. 990, it's made out of a single piece of Shell Cordovan (well plus the tongue). The eyelets are attached via an extension flap. The Dover is a three piece makeup. The eyelet piece extends down to the sole on the side in a curved fashion. The Dover is common on unlined makeup so...

Dover:
    [​IMG]

Standard (Wholecut):
    [​IMG]

-Mike

7. MrDV

MrDV Distinguished Member

nice collection sir. thank you for sharing.
    great family photo. great cigar indys, really nice color.
    special forces! nicely done dubs.

8. Wesley Crusher

Wesley Crusher Senior Member

Speaking of dovers, does anybody here have a well worn pair of the chromexcel dovers? I love the way chromexcel ages on boots, but I haven't seen many well worn chromexcel dovers. I'd love to see some pics.

9. schmallo15

schmallo15 Senior Member

Ha. I was thinking...So many great listings in 8.5D draining my bank account!!!

10. stevefok

stevefok Senior Member

Hey guys, anyone knows if I send a shoes dyed to black edges but originally with antique edges to Alden for recraft, is Alden gonna default recrafting it with the antique edges for me?

11. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

My understanding is that they resole according to the original speciations only now...

-Mike

12. andyip125

andyip125 Member

Hi,
    I'm interested in buying a pair of shell cordovan Alden longwing, but they are sold out at my local store, so I really need some help on sizing. I've never own a pair of Alden, and i wear size UK6 on a fitting 5 for my Tricker's brogues. Can anyone please suggest what size should i get for the Alden longwing?

13. schmallo15

schmallo15 Senior Member

It'd be helpful to know which last your Trickers are on as some of the country brogues run large. I wear an 8UK on the Trickers 4537 last and comfortably wear an 8.5D on Alden Barrie.

14. andyip125

andyip125 Member

Thanks for the info. My trickers are on 4444last uk6, do u think I should get 6.5d on the alden?

15. schmallo15

schmallo15 Senior Member

I don't have experience with the 4444 last. If it fits true to size then I'd say to try a 6.5 Barrie. If it fits a half size large then possibly go with a 7 Barrie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.