• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Alden doesn't really need C/S the fact remains people will always buy them. As angry as one may get if they got a phone call tomorrow for Ravello Chukkas they would jump on them. As stated above when Alden gets it right it the knock it out of the park. I fail to understand why Alden wouldn't remake the defective pair seems a bit absurd to me. The shell shortage has to be strictly a choice by Alden as other manufactures seem to have no problems acquiring as many skins as they'd like, MTO thread for CJ confirms this.
I agree with you regards to their customer service. I will say their shops do do their best to provide the best costumer service provided the circumstances that they are provided. Although I understand with your point with regards to C&J, they do their Whiskey Shell Cordovan very differently than Alden and frankly do them in much smaller quantities. C&J goes by the slow and steady concept, limiting the Whiskey GMTO runs to 12 pairs and only 2, maybe 3 per year. They will also do an additional 2-3 runs of 12ish for their various stores and vendors. So they are frankly only asking about 60 pairs of Whiskey shoes per year. Alden tends to just confirm a slew of orders once they get material. From all that I saw this year from Alden in Whiskey, AoC Whiskey NST Saddles, DC LWBs, SF LWBs, TSM LHSes, TSM LWBs, Leffot NST Boots, Madison Monks + NST Boots (6 each), Madison U-Tips, to name the ones coming off the top of my head, Alden actually does more Whiskey than C&J does, seeing how that is 8x12 = 96 pairs and I don't know if they have any additional Whiskeys or sold pairs to other vendors or non-US vendors. Frankly, this makes sense, as Alden is the biggest user of Horween Shell Cordovan by far. Just had to chime in here with more facts.
Happy wingtip Wednesday forum pals.
Fantastic looking LWBs sir! They look great in Black!
Whiskey LWB from TSM
0d98ddf103137469c7b4134d378c8ecf.jpg
Happy Whiskey Wednesday Gents Smoke em if you got em Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great looking LWBs Don! Those are looking amazing!
haven't posted in a while. happy that fall is officially here so i feel less sheepish about wearing boots. going with alden x need supply church hill indy boots today:
also, a brief anecdote that some of you might appreciate: i went to a college football game (florida vs. tennessee) with some friends last weekend, and i decided to wear my unlined suede dovers. three of the four friends have kids, and one in particular was very proud of his "dad look" (i.e., new balance sneakers, cargo shorts, and a university of tennessee polo). prior to the game, we were talking to some college students at a tailgate when one of my friends asked them who looked more like a dad--my "dad look" friend or me. the college students looked down at our shoes and said, "those shoes [the aldens] are stylish. those [the new balances] are not. so i'm guessing the new balance guy is the dad." nice to know that alden > new balance in terms of style even to a younger, seemingly more sneaker-obsessed generation.
Great looking Indy Boots and nice story. Totally agree with the college kids.
Wet Whiskey Wednesday, Worn Well
Those are some nice looking NSTs! Is that a Tanker or Barrie Blucher?
PTBs again for WW
Your WW contribution is great Zippy. Your PTBs are looking great! -Mike

Last edited:

stevefok

Reaction score
I agree with you regards to their customer service. I will say their shops do do their best to provide the best costumer service provided the circumstances that they are provided.

Although I understand with your point with regards to C&J, they do their Whiskey Shell Cordovan very differently than Alden and frankly do them in much smaller quantities. C&J goes by the slow and steady concept, limiting the Whiskey GMTO runs to 12 pairs and only 2, maybe 3 per year. They will also do an additional 2-3 runs of 12ish for their various stores and vendors. So they are frankly only asking about 60 pairs of Whiskey shoes per year. Alden tends to just confirm a slew of orders once they get material. From all that I saw this year from Alden in Whiskey, AoC Whiskey NST Saddles, DC LWBs, SF LWBs, TSM LHSes, TSM LWBs, Leffot NST Boots, Madison Monks + NST Boots (6 each), Madison U-Tips, to name the ones coming off the top of my head, Alden actually does more Whiskey than C&J does, seeing how that is 8x12 = 96 pairs and I don't know if they have any additional Whiskeys or sold pairs to other vendors or non-US vendors. Frankly, this makes sense, as Alden is the biggest user of Horween Shell Cordovan by far. Just had to chime in here with more facts.

-Mike

Well said Mike. I tend not to believe in the conspiracy that Alden try control the number of rare shell shoes to create a bigger demand. On the contrary, I think the lack of rare shell makes Alden shoes less popular than 2-3 years ago, various Alden retailers mentioned it much harder to sell Alden this year and the traffic of Alden thread is also much lower than 2-3 years ago.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Well said Mike. I tend not to believe in the conspiracy that Alden try control the number of rare shell shoes to create a bigger demand. On the contrary, I think the lack of rare shell makes Alden shoes less popular than 2-3 years ago, various Alden retailers mentioned it much harder to sell Alden this year and the traffic of Alden thread is also much lower than 2-3 years ago.

Steve, yes I agree and was aware of the slow down here and on the retail end from my chats with many retailers and I agree that the exotic absence has impacted that heavily.

-M

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
CS and QC still hot garbage. "Charming"

Last edited:

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black Shell Lined LHS's.. sometimes the non exotics are what is called for.. l

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I appreciate your insight @mdubs

I thoroughly enjoy alden, I also agree the couple of retailers I deal with are incredible. I cannot sing the praises of GF and BM enough. Alden's fan base is rabid beyond the other major manufactures and the number of posts in this thread speak to that.

I still look at my cigar indys in awe. I feel bad when people get (exotics in particular) in a defective state. Really what can you do if you pass you will likely wait 2+ years for a remake. Tough call but again it's a sellers market for sure.

It just seems CJ in particular has multiple mto s going for cigar and whiskey and these have runs of at least 12 shows each. Perhaps shell isn't as popular across the pond and they are so kind to leave it for us chaps in the states.

Last edited:

Promilone

Reaction score
Thanks, I will. I am surprised at the price difference though. The BB branded shoe is €540 (547 incl shipping), whilst the Alden branded ones are almost € 800. As long as it's the same shoe, I'm not too bothered about the BB brand instead of the Alden brand...

RevisIsland

Reaction score

Thanks, I will. I am surprised at the price difference though. The BB branded shoe is €540 (547 incl shipping), whilst the Alden branded ones are almost € 800. As long as it's the same shoe, I'm not too bothered about the BB brand instead of the Alden brand...

Technically not the same- Alden stock model is Hampton last and I believe BBxAlden perf toe is Snap last

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads