1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

[​IMG]

2. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

One more statement and then I'll hang up the jersey...for today at least...

Let's just look at the anomalies of colors within the Alden shell paradigm, because this was really the heart of my original statements...

Old school whiskey, Ravello and cigar are almost totally different then they are today....

The "New School" cordovan shades are darker to my eyes...

And this synopsis is in the context of Alden.

Thanks and have a blessed day.

3. KPDarb

KPDarb Senior member

That picture gave me goosebumps.

4. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Yeah, it's stunning. Ashland has some Garnet Apple Watch straps but that appears to be all that's left.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  5. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Thanks, sure why not?

Ugh... January is coming quickly...

6. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Whiskey Wednesday. Alden x Leffot Whiskey Shell Cordovan Tanker Boots. Marcoliani Navy Argyles OTC. Epaulet x Southwick Navy Check Barberis Slacks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Mike

9 people like this.
  7. gilby

gilby Senior member

Couple of recent arrivals, black shell dover & Damasko DC66 black.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. smoothie1

smoothie1 Senior member

This entire discussion of Alden shell colors is indeed complicated by the fact that the colors of Ravello, Whiskey, Cigar--and others as well--have changed over time and/or are not always perfectly consistent between batches. I won't speculate and rehash the reasons for the inconsistencies, but these inconsistencies are well documented and indisputable.

Also, the lighting and filter effects of pictures online can be misleading. Many of the Alden enthusiasts and obsessives on this and other threads are incredibly demanding and/or unrealistic at times. If they are delivered shoes in Ravello, for example, that are not the exact right shade, have a small mark or blemish, do not match the late 2014 Captoe boots / Daytripper's color, or their favorite picture of Mdubs's or another person's shoe, all hell breaks loose, and they complain, or solicit opinions on this thread before asking their retailer to explain the problem, give them a price concession, or return them.

Everyone needs to be cool! Alden is a good brand that is imperfect. If you need shoes to meet exacting and perfect standards of pristine shells, there are alternatives that may not lead to such frustration, indigestion, and disappointment. Otherwise, pull up your socks and buckle up. This is Alden.

1 person likes this.
  9. gilby

gilby Senior member

I've been eyeing these for a while as a go to simple brown work/dress shoe, They are listed as brown chromexcel but to me look a little more like calf. I don't have any experience with chromexcel, any thoughts on it as a dress shoe. Does it shine up well? Will it look to casual as it ages?
    [​IMG]

10. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

I like all the shades of whiskey/ravello/cigar. Doesn't matter to me that it's slightly different than previous shades. Color names don't really matter to me either. I just wish they were more accessible. I feel stupid for passing on several models from years back.

11. AndersonJamesRR

AndersonJamesRR Active Member

12. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I don't generally look twice at black boots for some reason, and I'm not generally attracted to brass hardware, either.

But holy crap those Raven Ryder boots look amazing! I know some are unhappy with the edge not being antique, but honestly I think those are the most attractive black boot I've ever seen...

13. AndersonJamesRR

AndersonJamesRR Active Member

Agreed. Total color consistency over time is not critical to me, as far as leather goes. But I understand some folks wanting all their "insertcolorhere" shoes to look relatively the same shade.

Those are lovely.

14. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    What with all the bantering about exotics.. Here's 2016 #8 LWB Antique Welt. [​IMG] #8

5 people like this.
  15. katch

katch Senior member

Those are amazing

16. ScarsdaleVibe

ScarsdaleVibe Senior member

That second pic looks like you stuck your legs out straight and put your shoes on the wrong feet.

17. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

So [​IMG] true that brother, your image?

18. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Thanks for that - how, if at all, would it be possible to get one then if it doesnt exist? Is there like a group MTO thing that they do? The desire burns stronger now, of course.

19. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

The only way to really get it done is to convince a retailer to do a run. Alden does not do MTOs.

Contact Yenni at Brick + Mortar.

20. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

Pediwear had them at full discount three years ago 300 or so. Pissed [​IMG] I didn't pull the trigger now. Jet Black Suede Full Strap's. Yep.. the real deal..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.