• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shunted22

Reaction score
Whiskey Saturday...got dragged to a male fashion event. Seems like I'm the only one sporting Aldens apparently

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First one with flash. All my shells finally received the biannual Reno application. No wax.

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here I am on the fence on whether to buy a black shell PTB. I have black shell perf cap toe and LWB and a #8 PTB. Love them all, but for some reason I am questioning whether I will enjoy a black PTB. For some reason I do not expect the LWB or the perf cap toe to need to develop patina in the long run, but the PTB will seem to need it. I would grab any other color shell over the black, but at EEE I think the only chance of that is slim at the very best and likely none. Having never seen a black shell PTB in the wild and seeing scant mention of them on the forum, dampers down the lust level. They don't seem to get much love on the forum. At full retail I would likely skip it, but I did find a second and would pay less than $500. So, what say you about a black shell PTB? Get it or skip it?

Last edited:

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have several black shells and wear the hell out of them. Much overlooked shell colour..

prez

Reaction score

Unlined color 8 shell cordovan penny loafers on Van last modified at Anatomica.
Very happy with these.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unlined color 8 shell cordovan penny loafers on Van last modified at Anatomica. Very happy with these.
"Modified" you say? Could you elaborate on what they did? Did they just happen to be able to have the unlined number 8 LHS, so it's not just a Brooks Brothers thing? Or did they remove the lining from a lined pair? Or do you mean they actually modified the van last, to make it to a different specification. Either way, gorgeous pair of LHS.

prez

Reaction score

"Modified" you say? Could you elaborate on what they did? Did they just happen to be able to have the unlined number 8 LHS, so it's not just a Brooks Brothers thing? Or did they remove the lining from a lined pair?

Or do you mean they actually modified the van last, to make it to a different specification.

Either way, gorgeous pair of LHS.

Hi there, I asked Charles at Anatomica to describe the modification of the last.
Here goes" Our Loafers on Van last have a longer vamp effect by the unlined tongue coming higher on in-step which holds better the foot; vamp is unlined as back counter is lined by leather so it holds well in the back with good light and smooth walking fold in the front; outsole is flex system."
It has a different fit than the brooks brothers unlined version that I had in the same size and am now selling.
They also have the unlined chukka boots on Tremont instead of Leydon.
I will be there over the weekend so will get some pics.

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whiskey LWB
d03692dc01994e26d15e65242cf31095.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads