• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IMO, (take it for what its worth...) the Dundee is one of the only shoes that AE makes that is comparable and maybe even a little better than Alden.

The Alden will definitely be finished better and more sturdy in overall design.  But, as others have noted that Alden Cigar Chukka is typically not available.

The Dundee has the 3 eyelets and is on the 1 last, which is a little more aesthetically pleasing IMO.  And it is available.  

One thing you can do and has already been suggested, is buy the Dundee and wait on a list for the Alden.  When the Alden comes, sell the Dundee on B&S...

In all seriousness, the Dundee is a great boot!

Thanks.

Yup!

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These beauties just came in today. I am a hair over 12D Brannock and these fit very comfortably in 11D. My only concern is if the eyelets are too close when laced tight, as I know the CXL does stretch. Any thoughts?
If they feel comfortable and like they fit properly every else, then that's fine! Not a problem!

husbands

Reaction score

You have a great looking collection my friend. You have done well via the seconds list!

-Mike

thanks! only way I could afford this many. the cigars were actual Adam from AoC's seconds rather than shoemart. miss the days when you could go to his site and find stuff like that on hand!

chrisefi

Reaction score

snuff indy
From Alden Madison? My girlfriend really wanted me to get these when I was there but I have no experience with the red brick sole. What do you think? Comfort? Durability? Weather proof? They look great!
Cap Toe Ravello on Modified last:)

I just can't spoiler these! Great shade of Ravello. I am fortunate to have 2 Ravello boots in great shades, but neither have nearly this "carmel" look to them. So nice! That only comes with more wear and bloom. I can't wait until they look like this!

BenLeaman

Reaction score

I should post more of my pics in the thread.. but I am too lazy.. Here is today's pair though.. Whiskey NST from TSM
Meh, I don't want to see them if they're not on the grate ;)
day 7. Alden grain and friends
top row: alpine ptb, alpine sw boots x j.crew, regina sw boots x tsm, alpine nst x citishoes, navy cxl ptb. bottom row: grain ct x texas clothier, bison nst x aoc, grain sw, grain - #8 saddles x tsm, black shell collection.
Those Bison NST.......ugggghhhhh @MrDV you always find a way to get me worked up.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Alden Cap toe Ravello on Modified last VS Alden DC Cap toe Ravello on Grant last
The Grant Last looks 100 times better to me. But it makes sense as the Modified is designed to be anatomical and not for looks necessarily. Regardless, enjoy your two boots.
My cap toe ravello on Grant last.
Congrats, new acquisition from SF or Bay? -Mike

Last edited:

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi All, 

I'm mostly a lurker and love seeing all the great Alden love and tips on general care. I'm looking for some advice. I read the opening post, but there's a lot to digest and I'm looking for the best possible direction to go for my specific situation. 

I've come to the point where I'm able to afford one pair of cordovan shoes or boots. I want them to be brown and although Color #8 looks fantastic, it just wouldn't work with my wardrobe. I just celebrated the birth of mydaughter by purchasing a Nomos Tangente watch that has a wonderful brown Horween cordovan strap (they use Horween even though they're a German company) and I've had an AE brown cordovan belt for a couple of years. 

I'm currently very tempted to order a pair of Allen Edmonds Dundees in brown cordovan. I know it would match my belt and be much closer to my watch strap than color 8. However, I have a pair of Indy boots and Alden Suede PTBs and there is something these boots and shoes have that my AE Park Avenues don't. It could be the fuller last, it could be a more classic cut, it could be that Alden isn't owned by a huge Private Equity firm, I don't know.

Long story short, I want to buy a pair of Cigar Shell shoes or boots on the Barrie last. My order of preference would be LWB, Chukka, PTB or some kind of ankle boot. How would I make this happen? I don't mind waiting if I"m ultimately going to end up with some footwear that I'll cherish in a way that I could never do for the Dundees. 

I think it will be easier for you to find Brown shell options by Crockett and Jones (direct, or via Ralph Lauren or via Brooks brothers) than Alden at this point. Pricing at this point is pretty close as well and you won't be sacrificing any quality. The brown they use is perhaps somewhere in between a typical ravello and cigar

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
here's my alden collection

back row (from left)
color 8 plain toe boot / anatomica via seconds, suede LWB on crepe / alden DC, black calf shortwing commando / alden of carmel
front row (from left)
color 8 LWB waterloc sole / leffot via seconds, red-ish cigar LWB / alden of carmel second, whiskey shortwing / alden DC
I wear the boot, cigar LWB, and suede LWB the most, but hoping to get a new job where I'll wear them all more often
very nice collection sir. the cigar lwb color is special.

Cigar chukka via Alden of SF.
very nice color. how old are those? i only ask because i tried sf cigar chukkas once, but came out too dark.
Interesting lacing approach.
i feel the laces are too long, i wrap around to shorten the loops.
WINNING!!!!
Hi All,

I've come to the point where I'm able to afford one pair of cordovan shoes or boots. I want them to be brown and although Color #8 looks fantastic, it just wouldn't work with my wardrobe. I just celebrated the birth of mydaughter by purchasing a Nomos Tangente watch that has a wonderful brown Horween cordovan strap (they use Horween even though they're a German company) and I've had an AE brown cordovan belt for a couple of years.

I'm currently very tempted to order a pair of Allen Edmonds Dundees in brown cordovan. I know it would match my belt and be much closer to my watch strap than color 8. However, I have a pair of Indy boots and Alden Suede PTBs and there is something these boots and shoes have that my AE Park Avenues don't. It could be the fuller last, it could be a more classic cut, it could be that Alden isn't owned by a huge Private Equity firm, I don't know.

Long story short, I want to buy a pair of Cigar Shell shoes or boots on the Barrie last. My order of preference would be LWB, Chukka, PTB or some kind of ankle boot. How would I make this happen? I don't mind waiting if I"m ultimately going to end up with some footwear that I'll cherish in a way that I could never do for the Dundees.
I started by buying allen edmonds shell before aldens. they were more affordable and much easier to get. i eventually tried on aldens and made the switch. i have since sold all my aes including 4 shell cordovan models, i lost a few dollars in that transition. if i were you, i would wait for cigar lwbs or chukkas to become available (call every retailer and get your name on the lists). cigar plain toe boots are extremely rare.
Cool Indy Boot DV!
thanks dubs.
From Alden Madison? My girlfriend really wanted me to get these when I was there but I have no experience with the red brick sole.
What do you think? Comfort? Durability? Weather proof?
They look great!
thank you. yes x alden madison via tsm seconds list.
listen to your lady, go get some. i have been looking for snuff indy on crepe, commando, or brick for a few months now. i didn't want to pay retail, and got lucky w these last week.
brick sole makes them very light compared to other alden boots i own, super comfortable, and quiet on wood floors. i've only worn them once and will likely never see rain on my watch.

Alden Cap toe Ravello on Modified last VS Alden DC Cap toe Ravello on Grant last
holy crap! i didn't know. those look so nice.

@BenLeaman
thank you sir. the bison is kinda cool.

Wesley Crusher

Reaction score

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@reggieandtfe

I just want to clarify, the only time I would recommend AE over Alden is in the RARE instance of the chukka.

As MrDv said above, if you want a LWB then Alden has no equal in that price range IMO.

The Alden Cigar LWB is a classic. Here is mine:

image.jpg2_zpsw3ecu20t.jpg

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Crockett & Jones longwing (Cheviot) gets my vote for a shell longwing with appealing lines.

I realize it's not Alden, but it sure is clean and well made.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Crockett & Jones longwing (Cheviot) gets my vote for a shell longwing with appealing lines.

I realize it's not Alden, but it sure is clean and well made.

I totally get that too smooth....I think you would pay dearly for a Cheviot in whiskey....probably 1k...

Then, in that price range, your opened up to some other LWB options that may trump CJ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads