1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sazon

sazon Senior member

Feeling festive yesterday with my favorite Tankers from Yenni (2013)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    6 people like this.
  2. sazon

sazon Senior member

Agree on this. I've been on my feet sometimes for 12 hours, walking multiple miles and the neo cork with the footbalance heel is like heaven for my flat feet. For comfort, I'd pay double for a pair of trubalance boots with cork & Thomas heels over a shell boot with just double leather.

GASP.

HERESEY.

:fence:

3. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

i find my 403s to be incredibly comfy as well, particularly the neocork sole, but I have yet to wear it out in the rain. does it hold up in the rain? I actually bought those boots to replace my AE Long Branch boots as my go to beaters. The Long Branch uppers have started to unravel at the seems, but that heavy duty vibrate lug sole is still going strong.

I guess I've been skeptical of the durability of commando, as it seems to me to be essentially a topy??

4. KPDarb

KPDarb Senior member

I

I actually have a pair of shell Indy boots on double leather incoming. I have already planned on having the heels replaced with Thomas heels when the time comes lol

5. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

tough to answer...your rotation is getting up there and if you have(and I know you do[​IMG]) other boots on Commando and the Aldens are not going to see bad weather regularly then the Neo Cork is fine...I purchased a black pair of indies that had a toppy put on the neo cork and it is awesome also..so you will have that option also. Neo cork like dainite to me gets really comfortable after 30 wears or so..maybe more.

6. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

IME the commando is far better than any topy I've used. topies tend to get worn down and smooth fairly quick (which means they actually become dangerous on ice - the worst fall I ever took on ice was on smooth rubber soles). My Ultimate Indy's have hundreds of wears and are still on their original commando soles which is pretty impressive (I'm 230lb ish and have worn through heels on loafers in 20-30 wears). They are due for a resole soon but getting through 6 Boston winters is prettaay pretttay good.

7. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

8. Don L

Don L Senior member

Just brushing and an occasional reno. The finish on this first batch of EP Alt Wiens is much better than any other pair Color 8 I have. Shines up beautifully and seems to scuff less.

9. metranger8694

metranger8694 Senior member

Awesome.

Thanks Don!

10. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

Another break in day for these..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  11. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

I haven't been following Brooks Brothers closely, but I did stop in today to look at their plain shell penny loafers-- and was told that they are all being made by Allan Edmonds now. Kind of a drag, as Aldens fit me reasonably well but I had wanted to experiment with the "D" fitting unlined. Now it looks like I am stuck for a while with standard Aldens, plus C&J Harvard, or EG Duke (or Harrow!). [I do love the C&J fit and appearance, even if they are somewhat less solidly-made than the alternatives.]

Another random note on renovation at the plant: I've had one pair of lace-ups resoled as has my daughter, with great success. When I tried to get my loafers done this summer, they came back feeling quite different. I think that in order to pull the slack out of the toe on the last, they had to gather up the bit under the ankle. Now it feels a half-inch shallower than before.

12. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Interesting. Who informed you of that, out of curiosity? Last time I stopped by 346 Mad a few weeks ago, they definitely had Alden-made full straps and LHS and it'd surprise me (and I'm sure a lot of people) to find out that changed.

13. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

The BB associate did not know what he/she was talking about. You can tell in less than 5 seconds if the shoes are made by AE or Alden from the heel pad, the insole, the production codes/markings, and the heel/sole itself. BB's LHS/Full-Strap/Tassel collection (among other shoes) is still made by Alden.

14. Concordia

Well, that is a relief, although the internal codes didn't look much like my other Alden shoes. Now to wait and see if they bring out 11E in the LHS again.

15. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

How were they different? BB made for Alden are not marked with the typical "B/D" or "C/E" type width notations, but are otherwise quite similar. You were shown Color #8 shell loafers? Were they full-straps or the LHS style?

Were you looking at these? http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Cordovan-Unlined-Penny-Loafers/034H,default,pd.html

Or these? http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Cordovan-Low-Vamp-Loafers/032H,default,pd.html

Both are made by Alden.

Rancourt makes shell loafers for BB as well, although only in Venetian style (pure slip on). What store were you in?

16. Concordia

They were pretty close to the first link, although I am unfamiliar enough with the AE Patriot that I couldn't swear either way.

The shop was in the Chestnut Hill Mall, near Boston. Not a young sales guy.

17. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Were they lined or unlined? The Patriot is lined.

18. Concordia

Not lined as my other Aldens are, but not obviously unlined. I suppose I should have taken a photo. :angry:

19. Chris6

Chris6 Active Member

Start looking out for the Shoe Mart seconds, gentlemen.

20. Epaulet

Epaulet Senior member Affiliate Vendor

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.