1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

I have to agree with M635.
    There is WAY too much polish on those shoes.
    If you used Renomat and then renovateur (optional) and some neutral (or burgundy) cordovan creme (all from Saphir), you will probably see some really fantastic results.
    A little elbow grease and you'll likely be thrilled.
    I look forward to the results.
    Note: Renomat stinks to high heaven, but takes polish off like a champ.

2. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

3. darrellfilthy

darrellfilthy Member

[​IMG]
    Alden for beams international gallery / black grain / shell/ modified last/ v tip

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    3 people like this.
  4. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Eggplant indeed, those are looking superb my friend!
    Don, like all your others, these are rediculously awesome and a great combo.
    Andi, looking good bud!
    J, these are looking better with each wearing. Hope that you enjoyed them today!
    Chippy, your Color 8 NST Boots are looking good. Your should keep the Chukkas. They should get over it. I think those look normal to me.
    Your Black Grain Boots are looking superb! Many great makeups come from Seattle.
    Nice collection!
    That looks like it has a lot of product on it. I would personally renomat it to get the gunk off and then send it to Alden for a restoration.
    Those Grain/Shell V-Tips are looking great! Enjoy them! -Mike

5. flofloryda

flofloryda Member

Hi everyone - I just purchased my first pair of color 8 Norwegian front shell cordovan Alden's last weekend. I have two (hopefully) quick questions:

1) I walked into the store to simply try on a pair to see what the fanfare is about these and walked out $840 later (including polish, etc.). However, after trying these on last night and again tonight (in accordance with this wonderful, helpful guide) it feels like the right foot has more "space" in the shoe. I suspect that the shoe was tried on only in the right foot by someone with.... larger feet than I. I wear a 12D. My very first reaction to putting these on was similar and I didn't mind it at first but eventually I am now at the point that my right foot bangs around in that shoe. The fit on the left foot is incredible - hugs my foot perfectly and the crease is a perfect straight across the front. The crease on the right is starting to look more diagonal. I am curious what you would do in this situation? These were carpet worn only in my house and with inserts for cushioning. Should I return these and ask that they order me an unworn pair? The reason I jumped at these is because they mentioned a 6+ month wait list for these and I trusted that metric to be accurate. I don't mind waiting some months if necessary. Am I overreacting or over thinking this? Is it likely that the shell cordovan will eventually start to hug my right foot like it does in the left foot? I've never had a similar issue in 5ish pairs of AE.

2) what is the concensus on shoe trees for these shell cordovan? I put a pair of AE shoe trees in there to test and it feels like a pretty extreme stretch in the front (spring of the tree is fully pressed) between the front and back of the tree. Should I go down a size or keep such a strong stretch?

THANK YOU!!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  6. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Without getting into nuances on how/where the shoe should crease, my experience is that if shoes don't fit right they eventually find their way out of my rotation. Based on what you describe, I would not keep these. It's a beautiful shoe and will be well worth the 6-month wait. You may run into a bit of an issue as many shops won't accept returns with creases. As for trees, for me, part of the appeal of an Aberdeen-lasted shoe is its sleekness. I would not want the trees fitting so snugly that you literally have to force them in and out of the shoes.

Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  7. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I'll preface this by saying there are far better resources here than me, but a couple thoughts/questions:
    • Firstly, I totally feel your pain on your first pair. I had the exact experience except I wound up buying Indy boots as a guy with zero boots and about that much interest in owning a pair. Until I tried them on. My fourth pair of Alden boots arrives this morning.
    • It is pretty common for feet to be different sizes (apologies if you knew that already)
    • Shell is extremely resistant to stretching, so it is extraordinarily unlikely the room you're feeling is from try-on wear. It is possible that it isn't lasted properly, or maybe the corkbed isn't as full as it should be, but I think both of these are unlikely (the second less likely than the first).
    • What is the fit like without the inserts?
    • How are you lacing the shoes?
    • Are there gaps at the heel or sides?
    • What model number are they?
    • Are you a 12 D on the Brannock or shoes you wore previously?

1 person likes this.
  8. scb

scb Senior member

laces broke on my snuff suede longwings. where's my best bet for a replacement online?

9. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

You can e-mail Alden, they'll send you new laces. general@aldenshoe.com

10. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Very often the retailer you bought them from will replace them for free. I've also heard that Alden will send you some if you call them (508-947-3926).

11. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

If you have creased shell cordovan shoes, very few if any stores will accept a return even for store credit. But to your actual concerns, it's rather unlikely that someone's foot stretched out the shoe in trying it on. The idea that shoes stretch like that is a popular one, but it's rarely true. Shell cordovan, in particular, is very non-stretching. It's more likely that your feet are slightly different sizes, as mine are, by about a half size. In that case, you are rather better off having one shoe a hair big, and the other perfect, rather than one a hair small, and the other perfect.

I'd also warn you to consider if there's a risk you might start sizing down, and eventually sizing down too much. Consider how much "banging" your right foot does, and whether the flex point on your right shoe is right at the ball of your foot (which is good), and how the shoe feels on your foot when you have all your weight down on that foot and your foot is flexed (your toes should splay out and maybe touch the side of the shoe a little, but not a so much as to hurt). I made the mistake of thinking my shoes were too big for me several years ago, I started sizing down, until my feet were in constant pain, and then I had to start sizing all the way back up until now, when I'm back where I started.

1 person likes this.
  12. seanathanjon

seanathanjon Member

New JCrew Color 8 Dovers, fully lined, oiled sole. Don't mind the sweatpants...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  13. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

I also have slightly different sized feet ( more like 0.4 size difference), and I always go by this rule to buy shoes to accommodate my bigger foot.

1 person likes this.
  14. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

A little NST action this morning
    [​IMG]

7 people like this.
  15. fitchottie

fitchottie Senior member

16. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

17. fitchottie

fitchottie Senior member

How is the coloring on yours, I ordered two pairs and both are slightly splotchy, granted I have to inspect with a fluoresce light and you can tell in direct sunlight... Think i am being too anal.

http://imgur.com/NRJPys8 , http://imgur.com/3xTte3j , http://imgur.com/Tu9edvF , http://imgur.com/9Zd3ehH , http://imgur.com/fcRJ0fZ , http://imgur.com/0NXFiZj , http://imgur.com/SVXqGdP , http://imgur.com/bvyqhhT

On another note,
    Alden Tan Indy
    http://imgur.com/UoFbZYS

18. fitchottie

fitchottie Senior member

Was your pair splotchy, I order two pair and both seem splotchy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On another note, Alden Tan Indy
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

You should post actual pictures, rather than links to pictures.
    Many folks might not want to click on random links.
    YMMV

20. seanathanjon

seanathanjon Member

I've had splotches on a pair of color 8 boots and over time haven't been able to notice it actually. I'm sure others could chime in. No splotches on my pair except for a small one on the side which is hardly visable unless you are blasting it with an LED flash light.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.