1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metranger8694

metranger8694 Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Yep, all true and I was not trying to impune anyone. This is why I said "perhaps not." Just trying to pass on that Alden does have a number of seconds so some type of system is in place for some of the production.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  3. metranger8694

metranger8694 Senior member

^ We can move on my friend.

Onward and upward!

4. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Apples and oranges. Viberg is much more of a work boot than alden ever was in my opinion. I prefer the alden aesthetic generally as the Plaza and Aberdeen lasts lend themselves to being a more dressy option. Both have merits, I also think Viberg goes a little of the deep end with materials but again I lean toward more traditional styles.

Brett has done a good job of branding his product with that said it feels a bit like selling out to me. All of the sudden the gyw comes into play when they seldom used this technique before. Stinks of a cash grab.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  5. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Viberg makes great boots. A bitch to break in though.

6. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Happy Friday. Cigar Wingtip Blucher x AoM today.

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  7. bkdc

bkdc Senior member

It's a little dark these days but after a few years of wear, sun exposure, and lightening, #8 looks the best and is the most versatile. The demand for lighter brown is in its rarity. It's beautiful but not as beautiful as a well aged #8.

8. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Happy Friday forum pals! Just think, this is the last weekend interrupted by political commercials, so we got that working for us. Meanwhile, I have been wanting just a straight cap toe balmoral for a year and a half. The AE Park Ave would just not fit and I tried several Alden sizes as well. For some reason, these just fit better and I now have a #907 that will work. Out for a maiden voyage and then I am ready for those more formal occasions.

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  9. Don L

Don L Senior member

Jcrew Suede SWB
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 people like this.
  10. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

From last night's therapy session:
    (Excuse the AE trees)
    [​IMG]

10 people like this.
  11. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Way OT but I wanted to share a bit of shoemaking history. Note, many of these items were found right here in New England, home of Alden. My interest in welted footwear has led me to collect tools and other bits of ephemera from the early days of cobblers and shoe manufacturing.

At the turn of the century, MA was the shoe making capital of the world. United Shoe Machinery Corp. (USMC) was formed in the late 19th century after a merger of several companies including Goodyear Machinery Co. USMC manufactured hand tools and welting machinery. HQ'd in MA, they built the first skyscraper in Boston in the 30's and employed thousands in the shoemaking industry. Because of all the shoe & boot manufacturing, old shoemaking tools are ubiquitous at flea markets and antique shops throughout the area.

I got a kick out of these recent finds from the Boot and Shoe Workers Union. Formed in 1895 right here in Boston, the BSWU originally resisted mechanization in factories.

[​IMG]

This lapel pin is stamped with the factory's name on the reverse and came from J.F. McCarty & Co. in Lynn, MA.

[​IMG]

I got a small plastic tape measure like this at a conference recently. It broke by the end of the day. This promotional item from BSWU is somewhere between 50-100 years old and still works like a charm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These lasting pliers made their way from Birmingham, England to New England sometime in the last 100 years.

[​IMG]

The above clicking hatchet (or scrap hatchet) was used by the clickers to trim the leather used for the upper. While only 6-7" long, it weighs a good 3 lbs making quick work of leather scraps.

[​IMG]

Many sellers at flea markets and antique shops mistake this logo for the Marine Corps. It's actually the United Shoe Machinery Co.

[​IMG]

After finding this shoe/cobbler's hammer, I was able to locate a PDF of the maker's catalog from 1910.

[​IMG]

I've been putting this stuff up on my IG if anyone's interested. With all that history, it's amazing to think that Alden is the only company that made it and still manufactures here in MA.

14 people like this.
  12. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

13. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

14. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

We forgive the trees because you did such a nice job shining them up!

Great looking model Don!

Glad that you found a Cap Toe Bal that fits you well, those look classic and are perfect for those critical meetings.

Stellar of course as expected!

Those look magnificent!

Your Color #8 Unlined LHSes are looking great, I wore my Whiskey pair today... :)

Looks like you and your PT Boots kept out of trouble today! Nice lace combo.

-Mike

15. mdubs

Thursday. Alden Color 4 WT Boots. Brooks Bros Navy Argyles OTC. Epaulet Navy Lambswool Flannel Walt Trousers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Mike

13 people like this.
  16. mdubs

Friday. Alden x Brooks Brothers Unlined Whiskey Shell Cordovan LHS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Mike

2 people like this.
  17. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Ravello LWB for casual Friday.

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  18. mdubs

Looking superb @Burzan in your Ravellos! :-D

-Mike

19. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

These are the grail, Mike. The grail.

20. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

Thursday. Alden Color 4 WT Boots. Brooks Bros Navy Argyles OTC. Epaulet Navy Lambswool Flannel Walt Trousers. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] THIS IS NOT NICE! ... Have a good weekend Mike... LOL killer boots bro.. duh dang [​IMG] -Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.