• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

skriefal

Reaction score
I hope this question isn't appropriate.

Typo? Or Freudian slip?

I was just wondering, due to collecting (whatever you want to call) Alden's being a pretty expensive hobby, does everyone here just make boatloads of cash or is it something that you just budget for and or occasionally splurge? Just curious, sorry if this is a rude question.

I think for most it's a matter of saving up (a little each pay check, etc), and keeping those savings in a small "fun money" bucket. Ready to be used if something interesting pops up. Not really different than any other "hobby."

Last edited:

HenryIII

Reaction score

The Ocho. LHS.

Wow... just wow

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Just got this super lightly used pair on ebay - love them! If it was one of you guys...thanks heaps!

Natty CXL on Barrie

Old school Orange Whiskey LHS's. These are 4-5 years old. Most of the newer Whiskey looks Tan.

Very nice Whiskey Chippy! Looking great and splendid shine / color.

FYI, thebeauralbelfast is selling out of the Double leather soled Iny's in both non NST and NST with Antique Welt very quickly. Probably a good idea with next weeks exchange rate to score. Seems my timing was off relative to that. Anyway, most every Tanker I see is on Commando, nice if your in a wet climate but I dislike the comfort of the ever popular Commando Alden split sole. Is there another retailer doing Tankers on Double Leather soles? I'd love to see a Suede Tanker on Double leather. Chocolate - Snuff - Green, Antique sole?

Hah, thanks for the heads up. Nice look Tankers.

It's a tassels kinda day, gents.

Looking great Chris is your Tan Tassels. A great and casual style.

Ravello LHS for an evening out with the wifey.

Looking good Henry in your Ravello LHSes. Some reason in that lighting they look like Cigar.

Prof, your Color 8 LHSes are looking great and are nicely paired with the argyles and khakis. Hope that you enjoyed them!

Just saw these whiskey shell LHS at TSM. Had to buy them!

Sent from my iPhone 6s plus using Tapatalk

Congrats Hoser! I have a pair arriving tomorrow and am excited to have the classic Lined Whiskey LHS.

Stellar as always Chippy!

Broke out my AOM Cigar LWB today. Pant are AG

Steve

Looking good in your Cigar LWBs Steve, they are looking lovely and have a nice shine.

Unlined Brooks #8 shell 2day:

7Ix5POH.jpg

Great looking Unlined Color 8 LHSes!

Ravello chukkas.

Lovely looking Ravello Chukkas Zippy. Look great with the pale red chinos.

I just received my boots (4461H) from Alden Shop in San Fran. There are some markings on these and I wanted to see if others think this is acceptable or if I should send back for a different pair. On one pair there is what appears to be a 1.5 inch scratch on the side and the other pair has a small .25 inch scuf that exposes the under color, some gritty finish around the top, and another small scratch in the rear.

Seems to be more of a seconds quality item, but I just wanted other's opinions and advice.

They look tolerable to me, I would vote keep. Nothing in areas where they will be too noticeable.

Brogued cap toe today. Really looking forward to receiving mt black shell long-wing bluchers from TSM on Friday.

Those Black Shell PCTs are looking stellar. Enjoy them!

Update on these as I finally got some flat waxed laces.

Went from:

to:

Looking forward to seeing how they break in

Those boots are looking great and I agree with your lace choice. Amazing how much laces can impact the appearance.

In the theater district tonight to see Hamilton.

Color 8 Saddles

Great to see you here Chris, your Saddles are looking great!

Cigar PTBs with a little sun

Your Alden Cigar PTBs are looking stellar and their colors are maturing quite nicely.

These beauties yesterday.
Close to 2 years old and not taken care of very well.
Loving the colour and rolls on them.

c947cbe4ca701b38ed4cb136a837867c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are looking good!

NST goodies this week

Your NSTs are both looking stellar JD!

Brown Regina Grain Wingtip Boot x B+M (x J.Gilbert).

Great looking Grains JSO! I had the pleasure of visiting Yenni on Saturday, it is always great to swing by!

my wife and i visited the amalfi coast a few days ago. i did not take or see any aldens, but we did see ravello.
ravello is a small town known for a classical music festival they host every june. its tiny, quaint, with nice views.
well worth the trip.

Beautiful photos bud, those look great and I am totally jealous! :-D

Still unboxing shoes at the new place so it's been easier as I have been just working with a 4-5 shoe rotation until I get shoe storage sorted out. Of course these are in the rotation.

Those look great and hope that you get the rotation sorted out. Those are nice and comfy looking.

Van last help:
I normally wear an 8 1/2 D. I sized down a half size. I purchased an 8 D. I have a very very small amount of heel slippage. Should I try a 7 1/2? I think the size 8 might be a bit long. Unfortunately I don't have a store in my area to answer this question. Here's a pick of what they look like on.

Those Color 8 LHSes are looking great. Are you feeling like you are going to walk out of them? It seems that they are just slightly loose and are they both slipping or just one?

King gunboats 2day:

A7G5XgP.jpg

Those gunboats are looking great Cool! Lovely classic model!

d30f76a971b6f0e96c09a48a8c357a30.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6s plus using Tapatalk

Dang those are looking stellar!

TSM Whiskey LWB
c74069ec095df8e3a155e805e85e2a09.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking great on Whiskey Wednesday Don!

Ay caramba! Those look buenisimo!

#8 the beast in shell cordovan, go ahead and spill an over poured Scotch on them.. no problem. King for a reason.. These are 2012 circ and still haven't needed to resole yet. Slippers with meaningful soles. My fav..

A beast indeed, they look great!

IMG_2889_zpsn01tooz9.jpg

Meet my newest addition. Whiskey Shell Cordovan Leisure Hand Sewn on Van Last

Happy Whiskey Wednesday!

Looking great Joel! Looking forward to getting my pair.

Whiskey LWB x TSM today. Because Whiskey is good any day of the week.

Very nice looking LWBs JSO!

Cigar straight tips from Alden DC:

hNjlT02.jpg

Those Cigars are looking stellar and those pinstripes are looking great!

Tough to say but I think the darker finish would just take more time to wear off and change color. I would be curious to see the new dark color 8 out in the sun for a few weeks and how the finish reacts.

I am pretty sure that they are just putting a darker finish on the recent makeups, I don't think that the material below is that much different than before. I think @sazon 's recent Cigars is a fine example of this.

Dragged my fiancée to join the Alden army lol

Wow, thats pretty awesome! My wife has zero interest. My wife's feet do not fall within the sizes that Alden makes, so that is not an option here, not that she has any interest in it...

Ravello in full sunlight today.

Those Ravellos are looking absolutely beautiful and have a killer color on them developing!

Ocho NST's today.

Looking great bud in your Plaza NSTs!

Color 8 Alt Wein X Epaulet

These are "new Color 8" and I agree, they may take a while to lighten up...

Ha, those are looking great and hopefully you come to a consensus on the color that you want them to go towards... :)

BB Unlined Jet Black Shell, workhorse shoe not to be overlooked..

Looking great in your Jets bud!

Brick + Mortar Alpine grain NST boot.

Those AGs are looking great Marv and look great with those Navy slacks.

The Ocho. LHS.

Great Minds...

IMG_0775_zpsbvjt9fn9.jpg

BB unlined LHS in #8

Happy Thursday!

Yet two more fine examples of the beauty of the classic Color 8 LHS!

-Mike

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Back from a weekend vacation to Seattle with the Mrs...

Tuesday. Alden Color 8 Perforated Cap Toe Balmorals. Marcoliani Purple Argyles OTC. Epaulet Navy Donegal Tweed Walt Trousers.

Wednesday. Alden Black Grain Calf and Color 8 Shell Cordovan Saddles. Epaulet Charcoal Houndstooth Trousers.

Thursday. Alden Ravello Shell Cordovan NST Bluchers. JCrew Navy Anchor Socks. Brooks Bros Navy Houndstooth Slacks.

-Mike

andiandi

Reaction score

Back from a weekend vacation to Seattle with the Mrs... Tuesday. Alden Color 8 Perforated Cap Toe Balmorals. Marcoliani Purple Argyles OTC. Epaulet Navy Donegal Tweed Walt Trousers.
Wednesday. Alden Black Grain Calf and Color 8 Shell Cordovan Saddles. Epaulet Charcoal Houndstooth Trousers.
Thursday. Alden Ravello Shell Cordovan NST Bluchers. JCrew Navy Anchor Socks. Brooks Bros Navy Houndstooth Slacks.
-Mike
Wow! Those ravello NST are just a dream!!! Today one of my favourite shoes: Cap Toe bluchers Nr. 2170 in #8. Havent seen those in here yet.

RevisIsland

Reaction score
Mike,

Nice shots of the NST's and PCT bals...was thinking about selling mine but man, those look good.

Leisure Friday for me.

Alpina

Reaction score
I hope this question isn't appropriate. I was just wondering, due to collecting (whatever you want to call) Alden's being a pretty expensive hobby, does everyone here just make boatloads of cash or is it something that you just budget for and or occasionally splurge? Just curious, sorry if this is a rude question.
Back in 2013, @bkotsko posted a demographic survey in the old Alden thread. The results and following comments start here. I think the design of the survey underestimated income levels, and the "and up" value should have been higher than $300K to get a more accurate distribution.

Anyway, it's one take that may help answer your question. (regular disclaimers apply: who volunteers to take an income survey, how significant is n=87, internet self-inflation, as some suggest...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads