1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

The Dundee is a fine shoe, and the AE 1 last fits me very well. If you get a great fit and want the shoe right away, I would go for it. However, if you don't mind waiting (could be up to a year or two), there are concrete reasons why you feel a difference between AE and Alden.

One is the arch support from having a steel shank keep the Alden shoe together. AE uses a 360 degree welt with no shank. It's kind of their trademark historically. Another is the greater care that goes into Alden stitching the welt and finishing the sole edge. Another is the higher number of stitches per inch in the sole stitching. That gives it a closer, tighter feel. Also, the insole leather seems thicker and more robust than AE's to my eye. It looks the same as the insoles on my Carminas and Lobbs. It's just a nicer shoe all round. But you'll have to be reeeeeaaallly patient.

But again, the Dundee is still a great boot, and in the end, whatever last fits you best should be what helps make up your mind. I haven't had good look fitting in the Barrie last, and my Dundees feel perfect on my foot...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  2. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Cool Indy Boot DV!
    Great Cigar Chukka. Looking good.
    The Ravello NST Boot is untouchable and can't be matched.
    A very classy model my friend!
    It is always a Cordovan LWB kind of day. Looking good!
    I needn't repeat myself. Looking good bud! -Mike

3. husbands

husbands Senior member

here's my alden collection
    [​IMG]
    back row (from left)
    color 8 plain toe boot / anatomica via seconds, suede LWB on crepe / alden DC, black calf shortwing commando / alden of carmel
    front row (from left)
    color 8 LWB waterloc sole / leffot via seconds, red-ish cigar LWB / alden of carmel second, whiskey shortwing / alden DC

I wear the boot, cigar LWB, and suede LWB the most, but hoping to get a new job where I'll wear them all more often

3 people like this.
  4. Teeka

Teeka Senior member

NYC Tanker x Misterfreedom Sportman Slacks
    [​IMG]

10 people like this.
  5. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I would wait for cigar alden also...however the Dundee is a better chukka than Alden's imho...you can have a long wait for the cigar chukka so get a second dundee brown shell in the meantime...let's face it if AE shoes added the weight of a steel shank...many would live them more...there is something damn fine about the heft of an Alden

6. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

The shell is finished better also. I will agree with you the three eyelet design of the dundee is superior to the alden model.

7. chai Sataanfa

chai Sataanfa Member

Cap Toe Ravello on Modified last[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14 people like this.
  8. HenryIII

HenryIII Senior member

Daaayyyuuum!!

1 person likes this.
  9. mdubs

Your Ravello Cap Toe boots look terrific!
    Your Color 8 Tankers are looking superb! Enjoy them.
    You have a great looking collection my friend. You have done well via the seconds list! -Mike

1 person likes this.
  10. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

IMO, (take it for what its worth...) the Dundee is one of the only shoes that AE makes that is comparable and maybe even a little better than Alden.

The Alden will definitely be finished better and more sturdy in overall design. But, as others have noted that Alden Cigar Chukka is typically not available.

The Dundee has the 3 eyelets and is on the 1 last, which is a little more aesthetically pleasing IMO. And it is available.

One thing you can do and has already been suggested, is buy the Dundee and wait on a list for the Alden. When the Alden comes, sell the Dundee on B&S...

In all seriousness, the Dundee is a great boot!

Thanks.

11. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Yup!

[​IMG]

12. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

If they feel comfortable and like they fit properly every else, then that's fine! Not a problem!

13. husbands

husbands Senior member

thanks! only way I could afford this many. the cigars were actual Adam from AoC's seconds rather than shoemart. miss the days when you could go to his site and find stuff like that on hand!

14. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

See, what did I tell ya, the Dundee even makes Dr. Pepper's feet look good...[​IMG]

15. jeab sataanfa

jeab sataanfa Member

[​IMG]

Alden Cap toe Ravello on Modified last VS Alden DC Cap toe Ravello on Grant last

5 people like this.
  16. chrisefi

chrisefi Senior member

From Alden Madison? My girlfriend really wanted me to get these when I was there but I have no experience with the red brick sole. What do you think? Comfort? Durability? Weather proof? They look great!
    I just can't spoiler these! Great shade of Ravello. I am fortunate to have 2 Ravello boots in great shades, but neither have nearly this "carmel" look to them. So nice! That only comes with more wear and bloom. I can't wait until they look like this!

1 person likes this.
  17. jeab sataanfa

jeab sataanfa Member

My cap toe ravello on Grant last.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  18. BenLeaman

BenLeaman Senior member

Meh, I don't want to see them if they're not on the grate ;)
    Those Bison NST.......ugggghhhhh @MrDV you always find a way to get me worked up.

19. mdubs

The Grant Last looks 100 times better to me. But it makes sense as the Modified is designed to be anatomical and not for looks necessarily. Regardless, enjoy your two boots.
    Congrats, new acquisition from SF or Bay? -Mike

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    2 people like this.
  20. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

I think it will be easier for you to find Brown shell options by Crockett and Jones (direct, or via Ralph Lauren or via Brooks brothers) than Alden at this point. Pricing at this point is pretty close as well and you won't be sacrificing any quality. The brown they use is perhaps somewhere in between a typical ravello and cigar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.