1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rstldr

Rstldr Senior member

First pic of the new year! Leathersoul Ultimate Indy, chups and first wear of 3sixteen sl-100xk
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Same old Chamois tankers - cheers, everyone!

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  3. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

they look great.

1 person likes this.
  4. ylku

ylku Well-Known Member

Happy new year, new thread, and new tankers.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  5. TO Tie Guy

TO Tie Guy Senior member

Love those tankers! Also, kick ass socks!

1 person likes this.
  6. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Really great work on the FAQ's Mike. Your contributions to this forum are greatly appreciated.

Picked these up from the Bay and they were delivered on New Year's Eve. Expected a long restoration process but after 15 minutes, this is how they look. Love the recuperative powers of shell........

[​IMG]

I've been hunting these down for a while on the after-market. Didn't want to pay retail because I already own a bal in color 8. Here's a quick comparison shot.......

[​IMG]

Happy new year!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    12 people like this.
  7. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Have to assume you meant one in, one out. I can't imagine a more perfect example of a Freudian slip [​IMG].

I've been successful in the one in, one out policy for about three years now. The hardest part is that I continue to read this thread and often hear about pre-orders with plenty of time to participate. While those days aren't all that tough, when the shoes start getting delivered a year later...that's when I get small pangs of regret [​IMG]. However, with one (or two) exception(s), when I bought something, I've sold something and pared down my rotation from 20+ to 15 pair of shoes & boots. Alden makes up the largest category and Viberg (1), AE (2), C&J (1) and and Rancourt (1) round out the rotation.

Part of my motivation was to reduce overlap. I did the same thing with watches some years ago, so perhaps it's a pattern with me. Mechanical watches were one of the first hobbies/collections in which I took an interest. After about ten years of regular buying & selling, I eventually settled on just one good example of each type of watch. For instance, rather than owning a Sea Dweller and a Seamaster, I kept just one. So these days, it's just one diver, one GMT, a single chronograph, etc.

It's clearly not for everyone but it's something that worked for me. Also, I love the look of well worn, cared for, aged leather. Most of my footwear falls into that category now. With a larger rotation, everything would look new forever. That's not necessarily a bad thing but wasn't what I wanted.

Happy new year folks! Good luck TO Tie Guy!

Lastly, thanks for the nice work @mdubs on the FAQ. I always kept a copy in an evernote folder for light reading from time to time.

1 person likes this.
  8. thromb

thromb Senior member

Great front page post @mdubs! Can't imagine there being a better one out there!

and hope everyone on this forum had a happy New Year!

9. postal007

postal007 Senior member

I can't believe I'm here for the start of a new Alden thread! Happy new year everyone.

10. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

Request for those with older/well worn suede: could you post some pics? I hear lots of folks talk about how suede is really underrated for its toughness, bad weather ability, etc - but then I also see pics of older suede and frankly they don't look good at all. A recent pair came up for sale in Buy/Sell here that falls into the latter bucket - it looked the nap was gone, there were large darker areas / inconsistent color, etc.

So I'm trying to reconcile everyone who says suede is so tough, but then pics like that (which I see a decent amount of - stained suede, etc). Thoughts on that?

11. husbands

husbands Senior member

if you use a water defense spray with suede it lasts much longer

12. Moss

Moss Senior member

These! :worship:

13. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Brownvello glamour shot for the day.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

thanks - but, I guess, how solid/dependable is that for preventing snuff suede from ending up like this? or is this just typical for how worn snuff suede will end up?

[​IMG]

(yes these were for sale here, but have already sold, so I'm not trying to squash anyones sale! also I rehosted)

15. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Some folks like the broken in look.
    The Nanoprotector does fairly well at keeping suede looking decent.
    I would invest in a suede eraser, shampoo, and a suede brush if you want things to stay pristine.

1 person likes this.
  16. duff406

duff406 Senior member

So I think my pair of tankers will have to go back to Alden to have some bad eyelets replaced. I can't seem to get them to stay fixed on my own. Just curious how long to expect Alden will have them? I'll contact them next week but thought I'd ask others experiences

17. sazon

sazon Senior member

i'm having a hard time adhering to the 1-in 1-out policy these days. I have very few pairs that I don't really like. Granted, I don't wear every pair all that often but even those that get minimal wear hold a special place in my heart.

:violin:

I have 4 pre-orders from '15 scheduled to arrive in 2016 and 2 pre-orders from 2015 still awaiting Confirmation.

Other than that, there's only one other pair on my radar for this year.

Let's see how I hold to that strategy...

1 person likes this.
  18. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

You should wear these more often. They deserve it. They are glorious.
    Your Ultimate Indys are looking good and have a nice patina on them. Love the socks!
    Those same olds are looking very good. Something about the color of Chamois is really beautiful and full of character.
    Looking great in your new Tankers. The Color 8 on Antique Tanker is a splendid combination.
    I got my PCT Balmoral the same way. Lovely shine on them and yes Shell rocks!
    That's a superbly done glamor shot BK! Those Ravellos are looking good and ready to rock!
    Concur. Recommend periodic cleanings with a nano session after they have dried. That is if you want them to look clean. Working the edges also tends to go a long ways.
    I think it will take a few weeks, but no historical basis for that statement.
    Good luck with that Joe. ;-) -Mike

19. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Thank you everyone for all of your kind posts about the first post. Took me surprisingly little time to copy over from AoSD. :)

-Mike

1 person likes this.
  20. postal007

postal007 Senior member

mdubs, you are a great ambassador to the community here. The value you add to this place is immeasurable, keep it up!

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.