• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Thank you mdubs, I am humbled by your compliments. The shell grain patina is a beauty. Not sure if I make sense, but it is like there is another dimension to the pebble grain. Like when you see a 3D movie and you can see depth. I know it is a strange way to talk about shoes and leather, but it is the best way I can describe it. Not sure if it is illusion because of the grain or if the shell coloring is just special. (Okay I am putting the tin foil hat back into it's box and we can get back to talking about Alden's) 

I will post some better pics of the Black Indy's, they are on rotation for next week and I will post some action shots and pics of the customization preformed by Role Club/Brian. I am looking forward to your/everyones thoughts already :) 

You are 100% correct the Cap Toe Whiskey Balmoral would be the ideal San Diego dress shoe, they really thrive in the west coast sun ;-) 

Have a great Saturday and thanks for the compliments everyone. 

You are most certainly welcome. I had a custom pair of Ron Rider LWBs made in Cognac Grain Shell Cordovan, and they were ridiculously beautiful but sadly the fit just never worked that well for me. They were also the pair that taught me that I hate Danite without a nice mid-sole. But I agree the other dimension afforded by the grain is top notch. I think that the WT Boot is a pretty awesome platform for the Grain. Probably better than my idea on the LWB.

-Mike

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have brought the whole Black Shell thing to Mike's attention last summer and he personally talked to Alden's top brass and explained that he already had a large number of excited customers who pre-ordered and paid and that these customers knew and loved Alden and understood the hand made nature of the shoes and so Alden has agreed to push the model through as originally detailed.

-Mike

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

now.... if we can get the same response from them on a snuff/#8 saddle again
frown.gif

postal007

Reaction score

The Walter boots got screwed!!!!! No antique welt!! or brass eyelets

Yeah, it's extremely disappointing. I missed the Rydenboot and put a deposit down on these boys back in August (it seems like an eternity ago).

What I don't get is why there's no communication between Alden and the retailer, and the retailer to us. I remember calling about these boots about a month ago, because they're way past the delivery date, and let's just say the answer from Leffot was a terse "no update". Based on the response, I had a feeling something was amiss, but I have to imagine Alden and/or Leffot knew about this already (I mean, you can't be making the shoe without the antique welt and not know about it a few weeks before you're going to deliver anyway, I would imagine). I think I'm more disappointed that the communication was not handled well, and that Alden and/or Leffot wouldn't give its customers a heads-up that things had to change so we could be mentally prepped for the eventuality. Ultimately, I understand it's a first-world problem, and I'm just grateful I get to participate in this wonderful hobby, but it's extremely off-putting to put down a bunch of money and wait 7-8 months for it not to work out, with no heads up.

Chris6

Reaction score
Sporting some tassels on this fine day in Niagara. With my Indy's on backup.

Last edited:

prez

Reaction score

Ravello ptb with Cucinelli cargo pants and Salvatore Piccolo shirt

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before and after:

RobinM

Reaction score
Those leave me nearly speechless. Adam also did a #8 Grain LWB as well if my memory serves me correctly. I have seen a very old sample of Ravello Grain before and it was glorious. Looking good in your GrainTips bro!
Tassels in Hong Kong did the #8 Pebble Grain

Alden-C8-LWB1.jpg

randylahey6843

Reaction score
Ha! I am not sure here, but I am sure that this was a company strategic decision. I can conjure up three possibilities as to why they did this (1) maintaining the more formal style and appearance that is the Alden brand, we constantly forget that they are a company who isn't necessarily profit driven and have learned through decades of experience that sticking to the classics is what allowed them to succeed where so many others have failed, or (2) Artie flat out doesn't like it and as the owner of the company, he has that right, or (3) there could have been some production slowdowns associated with it similar to the Color 8/brass policy change, this assumes that Alden adds some sort of acrylic layer on top of their Black Shells. In an era in which they are production and material limited, avoiding waste and re-work is key to optimization. I have no empirical data to back any of these, but they all seem reasonable given my several years of learning about Alden and it's unique culture.

I have brought the whole Black Shell thing to Mike's attention last summer and he personally talked to Alden's top brass and explained that he already had a large number of excited customers who pre-ordered and paid and that these customers knew and loved Alden and understood the hand made nature of the shoes and so Alden has agreed to push the model through as originally detailed.
mdubs thanks for the well thought out informative reply. (1) I understand this point and do remember the days before the hype train was getting ready to leave the station and finding the special tweaks were a treat, something we all considered unique. I just love an antique or 'redwood' finish with black shell. (2) I respect this point the most out of the 3. This is America and they have every right. (3) Is what I fear...some Jabronie siting with an excel spreadsheet saying that if this cut is made "the 4 quarter is going to give back an extra .002%".

I have no dog in this fight. But if anyone feels the jury is out on an antique/natural/wood style finish w/ black shell, here are some pics of the black indy shell boot I had some work done too. Going to post more pics next week when they are up in the rotation.

In the shade,

The sexy bottoms, It is my favorite way to really look at shoe construction. Hand welted on a leather footbed. Triple ribbed Wishbone shank secured with brass rivet. Dr.Soul raw cord half soul and heel, double stitched, secured with brass rivets. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

andiandi

Reaction score

mdubs thanks for the well thought out informative reply. (1) I understand this point and do remember the days before the hype train was getting ready to leave the station and finding the special tweaks were a treat, something we all considered unique. I just love an antique or 'redwood' finish with black shell. (2) I respect this point the most out of the 3. This is America and they have every right. (3) Is what I fear...some Jabronie siting with an excel spreadsheet saying that if this cut is made "the 4 quarter is going to give back an extra .002%". I have no dog in this fight. But if anyone feels the jury is out on an antique/natural/wood style finish w/ black shell, here are some pics of the black indy shell boot I had some work done too. Going to post more pics next week when they are up in the rotation. In the shade, The sexy bottoms, It is my favorite way to really look at shoe construction. Hand welted on a leather footbed. [COLOR=424242]Triple ribbed Wishbone shank secured with brass rivet. Dr.Soul raw cord half soul and heel, double stitched, secured with brass rivets. What do you guys think? [/COLOR]
Oh my god this is soo sexy:) Whats the Modelnumber of those Indys? Wow!

Last edited:

schmallo15

Reaction score

mdubs thanks for the well thought out informative reply. (1) I understand this point and do remember the days before the hype train was getting ready to leave the station and finding the special tweaks were a treat, something we all considered unique. I just love an antique or 'redwood' finish with black shell. (2) I respect this point the most out of the 3. This is America and they have every right. (3) Is what I fear...some Jabronie siting with an excel spreadsheet saying that if this cut is made "the 4 quarter is going to give back an extra .002%". I have no dog in this fight. But if anyone feels the jury is out on an antique/natural/wood style finish w/ black shell, here are some pics of the black indy shell boot I had some work done too. Going to post more pics next week when they are up in the rotation.
In the shade,
The sexy bottoms, It is my favorite way to really look at shoe construction. Hand welted on a leather footbed. [COLOR=424242]Triple ribbed Wishbone shank secured with brass rivet. Dr.Soul raw cord half soul and heel, double stitched, secured with brass rivets. What do you guys think? [/COLOR]
These are fantastic. I thought I saw these a while back somewhere (maybe on Randy the Cobbler or Role Club's instagram..can't really remember). May I ask who did the work? I had been considering doing this to a pair as well and your pics may have pushed me over the edge. P.S. - I'm a huge fan of the Dr. Sole raw cord soles. Have 2 pairs done by him and have been really pleased with how they've held up.

Last edited:

stevefok

Reaction score

-Mike

Thanks for the effort mayor! I hope delivered what they have agreed....

randylahey6843

Reaction score
Oh my god this is soo sexy:)
Whats the Modelnumber of those Indys? Wow!
Thanks so much...The model number is 86987HC...but that is only half of equation....
These are fantastic. I thought I saw these a while back somewhere (maybe on Randy the Cobbler or Role Club's instagram..can't really remember). May I ask who did the work?

I had been considering doing this to a pair as well and your pics may have pushed me over the edge.

P.S. - I'm a huge fan of the Dr. Sole raw cord soles. Have 2 pairs done by him and have been really pleased with how they've held up.
Thank you also. These were sent to Brian"the bootmaker" @ Role Club. He is my favorite when it comes to high end customizations (US based too). I hope it does drive you to make some custom choices (Alden's are a great canvas for creativity).

I am all about the Dr.Soul products. I have some Cat' Paws and Biltrite souls on some boots and I prefer the Dr.Soul out of the 3. I am just guessing on this, but I think they also make the "Role Club Soul" for Brian, so next project gets the RC half soul. Have a great day.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents,

What's the best place to get a waterlock sole replaced? My CXL LHS need new soles, and I don't want to wait for a full Alden refurb

Last edited:

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aram at AH One has Alden flex oiled soles. He does fantastic work and is fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads