• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
If you look at the first page or so of this thread there is a guide to the numbers. It doesn't appear to be known how to decipher the last from the markings inside the shoe (though that would make absolute sense to me - maybe someone here knows better).

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here you go. In the shade... Back in the sun...

Last edited:

ShootThePier

Reaction score

Quote:
If you look at the first page or so of this thread there is a guide to the numbers. It doesn't appear to be known how to decipher the last from the markings inside the shoe (though that would make absolute sense to me - maybe someone here knows better).
Checked out TSM. The only Alden's starting out with 45 were on the Modified last. If that is part of the formula, next is the 194H. The drama and intrigue of eBay purchases!

ah Mo

Reaction score

Thanks for the kind words. Here is a list of model numbers, that might help answer any questions and fill any gaps. I said I was going to post yesterday but I got sidetracked. Left to Right in the lineup pics, Top: 4060 Grant Cap Toe (AofM) 44610C Pebble Grain WTB Barrie Last (AofC if I can remember correctly) 40568C #8 Indy Boot (Shoe Mart) 4020HC NST Boot/ Tanker #8 (I can not remember, for some reason I want to say Sir Max in Amsterdam, but think I might be wrong) w/commando soul. 986 LHS (Hubert White MPLS) Bottom: 86987HC Black Indy Boot (AofC or Leather Soul Hawaii can not remember) 13132 Cigar Chukka (AofM, I just lucked out, story bellow) 13750 Ravello Chukka (Shoe Mart or Sir Max, box just has a SM written on the inside by me. If I was betting Shoe Mart) 24061 Whiskey Shell NST. I want to say I got them from the Shoe Mart, but I can not remember. I do know this was an instant purchase, I saw them and pulled the trigger with out even thinking twice, that is what makes me think SM because there was really no long wait. And I know I got them in the Golden Age before every vendor was doing custom make ups. I can post the maker number but they make no sense to me. 9064 Whiskey Cap Toe Balmoral (AofM) I bought the 9064, 4060 and 13132 on the same day. I saw the 9064 on the shelf and asked if they had my size, fellow said they did, I said I would take them. He looked at me and asked if I wanted to try them on and if knew what they cost. I replied I did not need to try them on and was well aware of the cost. He said he had some other stuff I might like in back, and he brought out the other two pairs. I snatched them up like they were hot and had them shipped home this was 08 or 09. I just finished sending the 9064 off to a great home, because I was not giving them the attention they deserved. We might see them pop back up on here ;) The 86987HC Black Indy was customized by Brian the Boot Maker/Role Club. The work was worth every penny. Took the Alden Shell Indy boot to next level. On par with any shoe/boot on the market IMHO (I look at them as a MTM or bespoke Alden) The guy is an artist, took a great pair of boots and turned them into a work of art. If you don't know his work, take a few minutes to look him up. Thanks for reading the wall of text, sorry if the stories were boring.
Very nice collection

masaccio

Reaction score

Thank you. I was having a hard time getting the last out of the numbers.
They were from eBay. Gonna clean them up and probably send out for a commando sole. I'll wait til I have em in my hands.

If you email Alden they can tell you last and retailer and such. It was discussed a few days ago, if you look back in the thread someone posted the email address that he used to get a reasonably quick reply.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Awesome shoes sir. The Alden brush is a nice touch.
Nice
1f44d.png
1f44d.png
May I know who does this make-up? TIA

Thank you. My pair is from the shoe mart's seconds list. I believe Alden of Madison sells a similar make-up.

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Cigar cap toe boot x AoM today.
Your Cigar CT Boots are looking nice and clean! Hope they took good care of you today!
Thanks for the kind words. Here is a list of model numbers, that might help answer any questions and fill any gaps. I said I was going to post yesterday but I got sidetracked. Left to Right in the lineup pics, Top: 4060 Grant Cap Toe (AofM) 44610C Pebble Grain WTB Barrie Last (AofC if I can remember correctly) 40568C #8 Indy Boot (Shoe Mart) 4020HC NST Boot/ Tanker #8 (I can not remember, for some reason I want to say Sir Max in Amsterdam, but think I might be wrong) w/commando soul. 986 LHS (Hubert White MPLS) Bottom: 86987HC Black Indy Boot (AofC or Leather Soul Hawaii can not remember) 13132 Cigar Chukka (AofM, I just lucked out, story bellow) 13750 Ravello Chukka (Shoe Mart or Sir Max, box just has a SM written on the inside by me. If I was betting Shoe Mart) 24061 Whiskey Shell NST. I want to say I got them from the Shoe Mart, but I can not remember. I do know this was an instant purchase, I saw them and pulled the trigger with out even thinking twice, that is what makes me think SM because there was really no long wait. And I know I got them in the Golden Age before every vendor was doing custom make ups. I can post the maker number but they make no sense to me. 9064 Whiskey Cap Toe Balmoral (AofM) I bought the 9064, 4060 and 13132 on the same day. I saw the 9064 on the shelf and asked if they had my size, fellow said they did, I said I would take them. He looked at me and asked if I wanted to try them on and if knew what they cost. I replied I did not need to try them on and was well aware of the cost. He said he had some other stuff I might like in back, and he brought out the other two pairs. I snatched them up like they were hot and had them shipped home this was 08 or 09. I just finished sending the 9064 off to a great home, because I was not giving them the attention they deserved. We might see them pop back up on here ;) The 86987HC Black Indy was customized by Brian the Boot Maker/Role Club. The work was worth every penny. Took the Alden Shell Indy boot to next level. On par with any shoe/boot on the market IMHO (I look at them as a MTM or bespoke Alden) The guy is an artist, took a great pair of boots and turned them into a work of art. If you don't know his work, take a few minutes to look him up. Thanks for reading the wall of text, sorry if the stories were boring.
Fantastic collection. Those Whiskey Balmorals are great, a really cool makeup, probably the perfect dress shoe for San Diego. :) Those Black Indys do look fantastic. Black Shell is really an amazing material and is sadly far under appreciated here. I will save my Shell Grain comments.
Agency briefing today in the B+M WTB's
Hope that your briefing went well today bud! You should have had a lot of confidence based upon your fantastic footwear.
I had the same idea for the day. Great minds...
Ha, looking great as well Gil!
AF79 with some brass.
Always such solid pictures Marv. Beautiful boots and photography!
Whiskey LHS
5289d4b5e87efa4773c2f76c1cdfdaf1.jpg
d5ac22f9861e138c510cdcfd7f9ff4b8.jpg
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don, your whole ensemble today was just stellar. those Whiskey LHSes definitely provided a strong foundation!
Here you go.
In the shade... Back in the sun...
Those leave me nearly speechless. Adam also did a #8 Grain LWB as well if my memory serves me correctly. I have seen a very old sample of Ravello Grain before and it was glorious. Looking good in your GrainTips bro!
IMG_0692_zpsyefn0icf.jpg
image1_zps2mwd43dz.jpg
Happy Friday!
Thanks Joel! You are looking stellar in your Whiskey PTBs.
Nice
1f44d.png
1f44d.png
May I know who does this make-up? TIA
DV technically got that pair from ShoeMart seconds, but they are made for Madison. The Snuff Indy Boot family is as follows: Red Brick - Madison Double Waterlock - AoC & AoSF Barrie Lasted on Commando - CitiShoes Mike

Last edited:

wooksb

Reaction score

DV technically got that pair from ShoeMart seconds, but they are made for Madison.

The Snuff Indy Boot family is as follows:

Red Brick - Madison
Double Waterlock - AoC & AoSF

Barrie Lasted on Commando - CitiShoes

Mike

Thank you @MrDV, @mdubs. The collective knowledge in this forum is astounding. It took me an hour of Googling to learn about the snuff make-ups from AoM, AoC and AoSF. Didn't come across the Citishoes make-up though. Just learned something new
1f44d.png
1f44d.png

KPDarb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you @MrDV, @mdubs. The collective knowledge in this forum is astounding. It took me an hour of Googling to learn about the snuff make-ups from AoM, AoC and AoSF. Didn't come across the Citishoes make-up though. Just learned something new
1f44d.png
1f44d.png

They aren't listed on the Citishoes website but they posted a picture on IG a few months back. It has a hand stitched moc toe which is a great touch.

https://instagram.com/p/9G3A2Kt9YO/

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Super versatile model. However I would refrain from suit use entirely. More of a chinos, jeans, tweed or casual leaning flannels.
Could make a nice trouser/sport coat look work well, but traditional worsted suit fabrics. No IMo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics