1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drewvacavaliers

drewvacavaliers Member

Quote:
    i'm pretty sure those are allen edmonds san marcos made for brooks brothers.

2. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

3. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

11.5E would be my vote

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  4. RevisIsland

RevisIsland Senior member

11.5E, but I would also try on 12D

5. zennypoo

zennypoo Senior member

Hi all,

Our recent group order with the color 8 plaza NST monkstrap went very well and was submitted a couple of weeks ago. I'd like to gauge the interest on a (old) new idea for the next group order.

The unlined suede chukka is one of the quintessential Alden shoes, unfortunately as many of us know or have experienced, the Leydon last is quite narrow and hard to fit. Personally I'm unable to be fitted in the Leydon due to lack of EE lasts. I'd like to propose the following design, this has been done before by Leathersoul in a lined version. I think the plaza last would be excellent as a chukka and will be comparable, if not better than, the Leydon last.

We'd need 12 people to commit and this order will go through. Here are the details and a photo of lined plaza suede chukka from Leathersoul.

Material: Snuff suede
    Last: Plaza
    Lining: Unlined
    Welt: Flat, 270 degree with closed heel
    Edge: Natural
    Sole: Waterlok

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Please PM if you are interested!

Dan

3 people like this.
  6. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

[​IMG]

Wearing my #8 LWBs by Bureau Belfast today. Decided that I really didn't love how dark black they were (and had stayed for 9 months of wear) so I put them in a window of direct sunlight for a week or so. As you can see, even the new #8 level of darkness fades quite a bit in sunlight. I think these look just sooo much better (even if the inconsistent coloring isn't everyone's favorite).

4 people like this.
  7. aldengeek

aldengeek Member

Thought these were worth a post! I was debating picking them up off the Bay (auction link) a while ago for restoration, however, after Alden carefully reviewed the photos (not taken by me, btw), they determined that the shoes wouldn't hold up to the process. They have since sold. Anyway, a great example of some signature Alden shell cordovans from the 1950s, when, "[...]Morris Bootmakers were carrying over 20 variations in color and leather." (Quote source: Alden of San Diego)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    This is a word of advice to those who choose lighten their #8 in sunlight and not a comment on @wdahab 's LWB seen above. I recently did the same to some #8 PTB I have and I simply placed them in the sun for the day on about 5 different sunny days. I achieved the desired effect, making sure to rotate the shoes 180 degrees midway through the day to allow both sides of the shoes to receive sunlight. I later noticed that the tongue remained darker because the laces were left in and the eyelet flaps provided shade to the tongue. If I were to do it again, I would remove the laces and pull the tongue out to receive full light. They are ok as they are because the tongue is not terribly visible to people. The darker tongue does show how powerful the sun can be. I would advise people to lighten one day and then live with it for a week or so to really judge the effect and how you like it. If needed, you can do a second day and so forth.

9. Don L

Don L Senior member

Whiskey Wednesday
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 people like this.
  10. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Well it's Wednesday which seems an auspicious day to get these beauties in the mail from Adam:

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  11. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Active Member

Don't know if this will help but I just bought a pair of the Unlined Chukkas at Alden in NYC. They measured my feet and gave me several options. I normally wear a 9.5 D in almost everything.

I ended up getting a 9.0 E as the Leydon last is a little narrower but also runs a bit long. I bought a pair of George Boots at the same time and the 9.5 D fit perfectly.

Hope that helps.

13. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

snuff indy

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  14. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Love the microcell sole. It doesn't get enough airtime on here. I have milkshake suede longwings on red microcell and it feels like I'm wearing sneakers. Amazing.

1 person likes this.
  15. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Cigar short wing x AoM today.

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  16. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Jesus H. Christ, those are fucking gorgeous. Alden at its finest.

1 person likes this.
  17. arrow

arrow Senior member

Maiden voyage... paired with Studio D' Artisan chinos

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  18. Resistant

Resistant Senior member

Alden group MTO shell Indy

Details of the boot are still in the works.
    However, anyone seeking wide sized boots or narrow, will have the opportunity to order in this multi-width MTO

12 pairs confirmed are needed to proceed.
    PM if interested you will be added to the list.

19. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Specs?

20. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Stormy day here so I had to break these out for a spin. Cordovan Tanker Model M6903HY. The website said Barie, I wrote Alden and they said they were Trubalance. It's weird because this retailer has the exact same boot on its website in Trubalance Model M5904 called Indy Work Boot. The Bureau I have to believe would be correct. I think the help at Alden might have misspoke. Either way comfortable boot.

4 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.