1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Haha pretty much the same story for me, though went to see the 990 at a local shop and they didn't have my size. Ended up trying on the 403 and couldn't resist the $450 CAD price tag. Up to 10 pairs of Aldens now over the past 2.5 years since then, not counting the 2-3 pairs I've sold.

2. RevisIsland

RevisIsland Senior member

Color 8 tassels were going to be my suggestion as well bc of the history, tradition and versatility. However, tassels don't float everyone's boat - a lot of tassel haters out there.

Unless the OP already has Marlow shell tassels or is opposed to tassels in general, my vote is for color 8 tassels.

3. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

I agree with many of the above posts regarding a good choice for a first pair of Aldens.

I had a somewhat less traditional first pair - a black shell plain toe boot on the 379X last from TheShoeMart's irregulars collection. I was extremely impressed with the comfort, quality, and finishing (even though they are seconds), and almost immediately bought a pair of Color #8 wingtip boots (4461H) from Alden DC.

And then the floodgates opened. I have over 25 pairs of Aldens now, and there are probably 10-15 more pairs that I have had and then sold either for fit or for redundancy reasons.

For a first-time buyer, I would recommend going to a retail store and getting properly sized in several of the more popular Alden lasts (Barrie, Plaza, Aberdeen, Trubalance, Van, etc.). Alden excels at shell cordovan and that is probably where they outshine the competition most brightly, but a classic Indy boot (405 or 403) is a great choice for someone with a more casual wardrobe. The #8 shell longwing (975) or plain-toe blucher (990) are great first forays as well. If you are into boots, you could go for the #8 cap toe boot (4060) or wingtip boot (4461). A much more casual but still fantastic choice is the longwing in snuff suede (9794).

1 person likes this.
  4. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

I'm coming out of hibernation for this one...
    That is crazy! For me at least, I have not been able to find a size in that last that feels remotely comfortable. [​IMG][​IMG]

I will give AE credit though, they have tried several different lasts and versions of the LWB, and still haven't produced a viable option (for me at least).

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  5. sazon

sazon Senior member

King wtb.
    Have a great week gents.

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  6. ironclad

ironclad Senior member

7. Don L

Don L Senior member

Snuff LHS
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 people like this.
  8. rbf1138

rbf1138 Member

Anyone have any idea how long it typically takes for J. Crew to restock the longwing bluchers? I'm looking for the dark brown in a size 7 but they only have 7.5 right now, or plenty of sizes in tobacco. The rep couldn't tell me if/when they'd be restocked, though.

9. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

It seems pretty much as erratic as any other stockist. Only ShoeMart seems to keep a high level of stock that is refreshed fairly regularly.

10. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Mahogany shell AF2 today.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  11. chris4prez

chris4prez Member

Long-time lurker, first time posting.

The vast amount of information in this thread is fantastic, well received, and I appreciate all that take time to post their photos and share their insights and knowledge.

With that being said, I picked up my 5th pair from Yenni this week a Tan Country Calf LWB. This is my first "textured/pebbled" leather purchase. I'm a strong believer in Saphir products but unsure on the regiment I should take on these out of box to maintain/protect them. What is the group's consensus with Tan Country Calf or any textured/pebbled leather for that matter?

-Do nothing and just rock them hard
    -Saphir Renovateur and wear
    -Saphir Renovateur and Pommadier cream in Neutral and wear
    -Saphir Renovateur and Pommadier cream in a Specific color (Open to suggestions as I could not seem to match Tan CC to a specific color on the Nuancier Chart) and wear

Open to thoughts and suggestions outside of those listed above. Thanks in advance.

1 person likes this.
  12. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Generally my routine is wipe, brush, Reno, brush and wear, but I'll be interested in seeing more experienced responses. I wouldn't use a colored cream at this point.

That is a nice leather - I'd be really tempted to just wear 'em.

13. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

My first, and only pair so far, are the J Crew Indys. If eBay didn't exist, I'd still have zero. I see why people wouldn't want it as their first, it's bulky, is it casual or work or what? But having a few AE dress shoes, I'm so glad this was my first. Actually, no I'm not. Now I'm on the prowl for moor...

14. AMD500

AMD500 Senior member

ReppTie, I'm just personally not a huge fan of the Barrie last in shoes (I have recently discovered that barrie boots are fine).

Now a Grant last LWB, that would be a different story, and I would consider resending my earlier MacNeil superiority comment. [​IMG]

15. JJGNYC

JJGNYC Member

These look awesome! Makes me wonder if I've put away my boots prematurely. Do you wear them all summer? I'm tempted to get mine back out.

16. sazon

sazon Senior member

@jjgnyc

Thank you !
    No I don't wear them all year. I'm planning to put them away from August 19-22.

Just kidding - boots all year round.

3 people like this.
  17. sazon

sazon Senior member

@ironclad

Thank you sir.

18. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

jcrew indy was my gateway pair also, back in 2010..

28 pairs later, I think im finally getting to the end of want list [​IMG]

19. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Looking great, Don.

I have a pair of suede unlined loafers that have an issue. They are nice and floppy, which I like. However, the toe cap has a structured area. It's like a slightly thick piece of paper/cloth? on the inside toe. Anyway, it has started peeling. Sometimes, when I insert my foot it gets caught and, maybe, peels it off more (?). Any solutions? I bought them used so I can't take them back to the retalier. Thanks.

20. tps3443

tps3443 Active Member

Hey, are you referring to Raleigh, NC? This is where I live and, unfortunately I purchase all my Alden's online. Luckily the fitment has been spot on first try. What stores carry Alden's? I would love to buy my 2ND pair of Alden boots in person.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.