1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tps3443

tps3443 Active Member

Who here feels like polish is bad on your leather?

I decided I was going to put a little brown cream polish on my Alden muchigan Epaulet boots. I put a light coat, let it dry and shined it up really bright. A little to shiny for me

I decided I really didn't like it, I always forget that shoe polish builds up and for a rugged work boot. It was just a little to much.

I cleaned it off with lexol cleaner, and water on a damp cloth and then I Let them sit and dry. I brushed them back to the natural shine of the boot. Which actually looks a little better then when they were new.

2. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Budget is the question.

If you have some money for a life-time pair of shoes, 975 Gunboats or NST's in Color 8 are great dressed up or down.

For whatever reason, the calf NST's don't grab me quite as much, but my tobacco LWB's (from JCrew in my case) are great - not quite suit material unless it is in a certain and less formal color range, but slacks/chinos/jeans are all great.

Color 8 NST's are a nice choice if you want something that you don't see very often.

I've got too much on my plate between now and the end of the year (as many as four pair of Alden), but one of these days I'm going to get a Color 8 NST shoe or boot...

1 person likes this.
  3. AMD500

AMD500 Senior member

#8 Tassel loafers. No question. Goes with everything! no matter what these other folks say, the #8 Tassel is the quintessential Alden shoe. Will last a lifetime and never go out of style.

1 person likes this.
  4. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

polish is unnecessary for cxl imo. quick rub with a thumb will get most scratches out, or a little VSC

5. stevefok

stevefok Senior member

6. hpreston

hpreston Senior member

As stated earlier, polish is unnecessary for CXL leather. It is not "bad" for leather in general, but is really only needed on calf,

CXL and shell don't need it. There are other products specifiaccly for protecting these leathers.

7. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

Hey Guys.. A little unlined Suede LHS help here. I just ordered this model on my same Van Shell size and these feel much tighter. Will the suede stretch some and conform. Model 2244 F. Thanks!

8. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

deleted cause bunk formatting

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  9. skriefal

skriefal Senior member

Which would be great if more retailers carried Alden. My nearest dealer (nearest to Salt Lake City) is ~600 miles away, in Denver.

10. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I'm assuming that is sarcasm. ;) (at least the first part)

Of them all, I think Epaulet does the best overall job - you can see what they've got, in what sizes and when you click on a shoe you generally get nice photos of the shoes in the real world in what appears to be natural light, though I'm guessing that shows that they've got a skilled photographer on the case. Yenni has a *much* broader range of offerings, and she's a one-person-army, but an easy understanding of sizes and what pre-orders are running against styles would be awesome.

I'm pretty sure Yenni would still hear from a lot of folks... :) ;)

I think most of the major Alden sellers do a good job engaging their customers, and it wouldn't diminish with better websites. Heck, you could list sizes and just say "Call to order"

I guess the journey is part of the destination...

11. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Quote:It's funny - I've found a couple small men's shops that have some selection of Alden in Raleigh, which is a relatively small city. I travel enough that I've been able to visit Alden of SF and DC, as well as Yenni's shop in Seattle.

12. stevefok

stevefok Senior member

Yea, that's sarcasm to me too. Able to buy things with a few click is nice. But what we are talking here is a very old fashioned company and their retailer wouldn't even know when the products they ordered will get shipped. [​IMG]

13. Profligate47

Profligate47 Senior member

They do stretch a bit after a while; have tendency to feel like slippers, esp w flex sole... Try carpet for a few days...

14. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

I agree and prefer this approach.

15. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I'll try to shut up about this, but here was my thought: When I saw the stack of 20 or so pairs of shoes that Yenni has left over from Adam and are all at sale prices, I thought how many folks around here would benefit from some cool makeups at great prices. Plus they aren't helping her business just sitting there.

She's in a small shop in a city that a lot of folks don't travel to, and isn't on a major street - her foot-traffic is going to be a little limited. Thus she depends on connecting to her customers over the internet (like many of these retailers). Designed the right way, a good site encourages relationship, not abstraction.

I'm sorry for the thread-jack - I'll shut up now. ;)

2 people like this.
  16. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

That is another great point! That was my first Alden...

-Mike

17. AMD500

AMD500 Senior member

Gateway drug.

18. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I feel the same away about 975's.

But apparently also true about Indy boots... [​IMG]

19. AMD500

AMD500 Senior member

Yeah I have to say I think the Indy boot is my least favorite Alden boot style, but I understand that they are iconic. Now the "Dr. Jones" boot...that's a different story all together.

Ready for some real blasphemy? I also prefer the Allen Edmond's MacNeil to the 975s...please refrain from burning the heretic.

1 person likes this.
  20. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Funny - my first in-person with Alden was visiting the San Fran store wanting to see some 975's in person. The SA there suggested I try on an Indy boot, and I was totally not interested, but did it for politeness as much as anything else.

My credit card has never been the same...

I love the MacNeil - I think it is a sleeker and slightly more contemporary and formal take on the longwing style. I have it in black. The now-discontinued J&M Hutchins was another shoe like that.

It is interesting the contrast in approaches to that iconic design and how much difference small things make. They are two very different shoes to my eye, which makes my wife think I'm crazy.

(and, as usual, she's not wrong) ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.