• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watch and I have been continuing the spirit of the MTO days through Vass and Enzo Bonafe, who both offer vastly superior quality to AE at roughly the same price point, once all is said and done. And of course, the spirit lives on in some of awesome Alden makeups that retailers like Epaulet and Yenni are churning out.

BTW, my Barrie sizing oddessy continues. Over the summer I was sized at 10.5 E, and ordered a pair of 975s. When they came in, they were almost painfully tight in the forefoot, and so I went to another retailer and was sized again using a brannock device as 10.5 3E Barrie. There weren't any actual shoes in this size handy, so we special ordered a new 975. Fast forward 6 months, and I received the shoes (they looked gorgeous, great QC on this pair), but they were too WIDE this time. So fortunately the retailer agrees to take them back (was very extra careful not to crease them) and special order a 10.5 2E, which I hope will be the goldilocks size. Now just to wait another 6 months! Ah well, I'm sure it will be worth it.

smile.gif

Have you tried 11D or 11E, out of curiosity?

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Family photo:
Top:
-very used 403 with a coat of black dye
-403 (brown CXL on trubalance)
-405 (brown cowhide on trubalance)
-40531H (Alden of Madison, snuff suede on lightweight brick sole)
Bottom:
-D4907 (Alden x Moulded Shoe, Alpine Grain on modified)
-40724H (Alden x Leather Soul Vanguard boot, brown CXL on Barrie)
-45183H (plain toe, natural CXL on Barrie)
-45110 (tan suede with crepe sole on Barrie)

I'm thinking of getting another pair of indy boots. I'd most likely snag the reverse tobacco chamois, but considering the kudu on neocork or a brown suede plain toe on the modified last.

Nice collection...you need an NST!

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
but they were too WIDE this time. So fortunately the retailer agrees to take them back (was very extra careful not to crease them) and special order a 10.5 2E, which I hope will be the goldilocks size. Now just to wait another 6 months! Ah well, I'm sure it will be worth it.

smile.gif

Hate to say I told you so....but, well....you know.....
smile.gif

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dr. Pepper,

I also think that a 10EEE would do you right as well....

And remember, while Alden sizing is not nearly as wacky as Vass, it still is more than other makers I have dealt with.

IME, AE and Carmina sizing are the most consistent.

Last edited:

Allen Dreadmon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's comforting to know that some Alden vets here have sizing issues too. You would think their feet fit every last perfectly by the size of their collections. Tongue pads are pretty much a necessary evil for me and if that lets me wear beautiful shoes, then I'm game.

BTW, Trunk Clothiers has a few pairs on sale at 50% off right now. I've purchased from them before. They ship Fedex and in a "friendly" way. After VAT reduction, they're about 200 pounds plus 20 shipping to NA.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have you tried 11D or 11E, out of curiosity?

11 would def be too long.

Hate to say I told you so....but, well....you know.....:)

You did!

Dr. Pepper,

I also think that a 10EEE would do you right as well....

Hmm. Now that's a thought. Damnit. Fit is so complicated. Not really sure if that would work as my toes splay out, but worth at try.

For the record I wear 10.5 3E in all AE lasts, 10 EEE UK in Carmina Detroit, 10 H UK Bonafe, 44.5 H Vass and 10 EE UK Lobb 7000.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
11 would def be too long.
You did!
Hmm. Now that's a thought. Damnit. Fit is so complicated. Not really sure if that would work as my toes splay out, but worth at try.

For the record I wear 10.5 3E in all AE lasts, 10 EEE UK in Carmina Detroit, 10 H UK Bonafe, 44.5 H Vass and 10 EE UK Lobb 7000.

Just for reference, I get almost as much overall width and girth from an Alden 10E Barrie as the AE 65 in 10 3E.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just for reference, I get almost as much overall width and girth from an Alden 10E Barrie as the AE 65 in 10 3E.

Yeah, my feet are complicated. Lol. My right foot is extra wide at the ball because of a bunion that I'm not having corrected anytime soon, and the left one is narrower at the ball but longer in the toe by .5 size and the big toe splays out due to a previous bunion surgery that was overcorrected/botched. The 10.5 E Barrie was painfully tight on my right bunion, and on the side of my splayed left big toe.

Ha! Sorry if this is TMI. The last's that fit me best are actually the AE 511, JL 7000, and Vass U.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Alpina

Reaction score
A few notes:

The recent family shots have been totally amazing. For me, the beauty is in the variations of color, whether due to age, batch, whatever. Really incredible stuff! Thank you gentlemen.

Recently moved to the South Shore of Boston. Not that it makes a lick of difference, but it's kind of nice to know the factory less than an hour away.

My wife: You don't actually post pictures of your own shoes on there, do you?
Me (channeling Fletch): Me? No, no--never, never.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few notes:

The recent family shots have been totally amazing. For me, the beauty is in the variations of color, whether due to age, batch, whatever. Really incredible stuff! Thank you gentlemen.

Recently moved to the South Shore of Boston. Not that it makes a lick of difference, but it's kind of nice to know the factory less than an hour away.

My wife: You don't actually post pictures of your own shoes on there, do you?
Me (channeling Fletch): Me? No, no--never, never.

Their factory is only a few trees away from 495, and I've driven past it numerous times. Never bothered to actually get off the highway and check it out, but I've seen pictures and it doesn't exactly seem like a visitor-friendly spot. I wish they had a "factory shop" and sold irregulars there, in person only.

aldennoob

Reaction score

If only it were easy to find in my size (6D)... That's why my choices are limited.

You may want to try leffot
they can add you size as a special order and you need to paid full deposit for it.
I ordered a 6D Naval boot and tanker from leffot!:slayer:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads