1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Congratulations on your first pair of Aldens! A fine pair to pick, especially given your historical purchases. I hope that you enjoy your new Indy boots. And yes, Alden's boots definitely have a more substantial presence to them, in a good way!

IC, those pants are just awesome. They look A LOT like my Epaulet Navy Barberis Flannels that I got made by Southwick. Looks great with Black Shell. I probably would do a simpler sock with that pant though.

Looking good MrV. Nice Wingtip boot and nice Selvedge pairing.

That is an absolutely strong foundation to a great summer rotation!

-Mike

2. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

@Mghart , my vote in order of preference would be as follows:

1. Black Shell NST Boot on Plaza
    2. Black Shell Naval Boots
    3. Black Shell WT Boot on Plaza
    4. Black Shell NST Boot on Barrie
    5. Black Shell Indy Boot
    6. Black Shell CT Boots

If you tend to favor denim or casual, I would go with 1, 2, 4, or 5.
    If you tend to favor suits or slacks, I would go with 1, 3, or 6.

Frankly, any of those boots are going to be rad and should be able to go up or down in terms of formality. Yenni does the WT Boot on Plaza and I just got a pair and it is glorious. I haven't had time to photograph it yet, but its in the not-so-distant future... :) I love the Plaza NST Boot. I think Yenni will be doing that as well, but not 100% sure there.

-Mike

Last edited: May 29, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. Mghart

Mghart Senior member

Thanks! @mdubs I look forward to the plaza WTB pictures. What sole did they have? Single leather? Flex? I think a plaza nst would be a great alternative as well if it were available down the road.

4. harveyrabbit

harveyrabbit Senior member

I second that recommendation. I really like the B+M WT boot on the plaza last. It has a double waterloc sole, and I prefer that to the Leffot version of the same boot (Bristol) on the flex sole.
    I'm hoping Yenni will do a #8 version.

5. KPDarb

KPDarb Senior member

+1

6. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Looking good Mike. Got to see those in store yesterday. Anthony was great to talk to. [​IMG]

7. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Senior member

Considering the pre-order sold out of all sizes in under 4 minutes last year, and it's only offered once per year, they could likely double the price and still sell them out within a week.

8. iLuveketchup

iLuveketchup Senior member

Are color 8 gunboats (975) too informal for a summer wedding? I'm not the groom nor part of the groom's party.

9. SouthNarc

SouthNarc Senior member

Has anyone ever done a brown CXL chukka w/commando?

10. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

What else are you wearing?

11. KPDarb

KPDarb Senior member

I have barrie shoes and boots and for whatever reason boots give me an absolutely unbearable pain in one of my feet. Has anyone experienced any difference in fit with boots vs. shoes built on the same last? I have a pair of shell chukkas on barrie on order and have been wondering if they might be more forgivable than regular derby boots. Hope everyone had a good weekend!

12. DuckOB

DuckOB Senior member

Sorry to hear this KPDarb

can you describe the pain you feeling? what soles do you have on the boots and what sole is on the shoes?

I can't wear the leather soles and i find certain softer soles (not alden soles) cause me issues but I have no issues with the Alden crepe soles.

Feet are tricky!

13. KPDarb

KPDarb Senior member

Thanks for the response DuckOB! The issue is when I'm walking for any more than 5 minutes and its usually a sharp, piercing pain in my painter fascia tendon. The boots were all on commando soles and my shoes are on flex and double leather. Funny thing is that I wore an indy boot that was 1.5 sizes too small and never experienced any pain like that.

14. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

commando soles will give you a slighty different feel compared to single/double leather soles. the heel is slightly raised and there is a slight down slope in the midfoot. so even though you are wearing the same size, your gait and sensation may be different.

15. DuckOB

DuckOB Senior member

Strange...go back to the indys! hahaha jk. only thing i can think of is the boots are restricting your movement somehow and aggravating that tendon. Have you looked up the exercises for plantar Fasciitis? That's what the foot doctor will tell you to do ....stretch and then that you need a orthotic :( Best to resolve the issue if at all possible before going the orthotic route. Maybe take a break from the boots and see if it heals....... The pain i had felt was like a sprained big toe. I had to sell my indys and other shoes that didnt work but my feet are much better and hope i can now where indys again!

good luck and if I think of anything else i'll PM you

16. DuckOB

DuckOB Senior member

agreed, the combination of sole, last, boot/shoe all factor in, in my opinion

17. KPDarb

KPDarb Senior member

Haha I almost immediately bought myself a pair of 405s and I absolutely love them. Ive spent 10 hours walking around NYC and never had a hint of pain or aggravation in my feet. They are my go to walking boots.

Thanks for the insight. My next pair is on flex soles so Ill see if it works out. Otherwise it will be another expensive lesson in the sizing game.

18. BenLeaman

BenLeaman Senior member

Hey dude! I can't find anyone that made that makeup but could certainly be missing something...

I found brown calf on commando
    http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/shoes-brown-calfskin-chukka-boot-commando-sole-485.htm

And there's of course the leather soled version which could be worn until replacement is required.
    Somewhere along the way my brother grabbed a pair of brown cxl chukkas on crepe but not certain offhand from whom.

Yenni has a interesting makeup on preorder which I believe your size is still available. Info copied from @Alden of Carmel's website.

[​IMG]

19. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

got those "pre-order (with deposit) i don't think i want anymore" blues

20. tricky

tricky Senior member

First day with the chukkas. Still on the fence whether I sized correct...ugh.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.