• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gents, some opinions please;

I am longing for this specific shoe (previously available from

I really like the dark eggplant shade of the shoe as pictured. Unfortunately, this run is sold out.

I have not inquired whether they have stock in my size, but AoM has a nearly identical shoe listed:

My question is, is the NS shoe truly that dark, vs the Aom, which appears more light and more brown? And if so, with various cremes or polishes, could the darker shade of the NS shoe be duplicated on the AoM shoe with a little effort? Or is it a case of "it is what it is"?

I was just at AoM the other day and saw this shoe in person. It is a dark shade of color 8, very lovely.

avidtest

Reaction score
Fantastic. Thanks for the feedback guys. I will inquire and hope my size is in stock. It will be my first pair of shell (but third pair of Aldens within a little more than a month). :)

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I assume you are joking. Why would you regret passing on a pair of $700+ boots that is not in your size?

add 20 bucks for a nice pair of hiker socks and he's good to go.

it's fairly easy to take up the extra volume and I bet more comfortable.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I received the AOM rare shell twice in last 2year.
I was listed on alden sf and tsm rare shell list too.
But for DC everytime i sent an email to them they said there were no such list.
I will never purchase anything from DC.

as TO said, there's no general email list. but they have a waiting list for their all their rare shell makeups. you should call Kathy and let her know you are interested. she's pretty fair and she'll let you know where you are on the list.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Retailers obviously have to make money and if they have a customer who buys calf models and basic shell models it's in their best interest to reward their best customers. Who wouldn't want to show up to the superbowl ten minutes before kick off and sit on the 50 yard line.

I am by no means a super buyer but I have purchased a few rare shells over the years by just getting lucky. Happened to call AoM the morning a run of cigars showed up. Just the way it works it is what it is. I know bit has turned many people off but this is what happens when there is dearth of exotic shell skins.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys pair #8 shoes/boots with #8 belts mostly? Any belt recommendations?

I have an AE color 8 belt I snagged on eBay that I wear most of the time with trousers but I also sometimes reach for a Rancourt brown CXL belt if I am wearing jeans/color 8.

I always thought the AE merlot belt would be a good choice for color 8 though, have not had a chance to check it out in person. http://www.allenedmonds.com/accesso...F39501.html?dwvar_SF39501_color=39501#start=2

Last edited:

JayDotz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

as TO said, there's no general email list. but they have a waiting list for their all their rare shell makeups. you should call Kathy and let her know you are interested. she's pretty fair and she'll let you know where you are on the list.

I agree. I literally just bought rare shell two days ago from DC. I emailed them inquiring about a specific make up. Kathy was a pleasure to deal with and happened to have one sitting around from a run last year that was a size that could work for me. It's a half size down in length but a size up in width. I received it yesterday and it fits great.

She also put me on a few lists. I have no idea if they will ever come in but all in all she was really great to deal with. It seems to me that you have better luck if you are looking for something specific rather than any make up in any color.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1. They're a good group to deal with. They don't necessarily run their business around rare makeups and it's mainly a nuisance for most retailers bc people are inevitably disappointed they can't easily get what they want. For example, when rare makeups do get announced on here their phone rings off the hook for days.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Retailers obviously have to make money and if they have a customer who buys calf models and basic shell models it's in their best interest to reward their best customers. Who wouldn't want to show up to the superbowl ten minutes before kick off and sit on the 50 yard line.

I am by no means a super buyer but I have purchased a few rare shells over the years by just getting lucky. Happened to call AoM the morning a run of cigars showed up. Just the way it works it is what it is. I know bit has turned many people off but this is what happens when there is dearth of exotic shell skins.

does anyone think Alden just chooses to limit their rare shell offerings? similar to what rolex does with the daytona. we see whiskey and cognac all the time with other makers. c&j always has dark brown available and recently had a stockpile of whiskey. seems that alden can easily request more cigar if they wanted.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FLW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you guys pair #8 shoes/boots with #8 belts mostly? Any belt recommendations?
Tricky-
I would also recommend Equus Leather. They have a burgundy shade that works well with #8 (except for some of the near-black shades). They make outstanding belts and you can customize all kinds of options. I have used them for all my hard-to-find shades (navy, green, #8)

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have an AE color 8 belt I snagged on eBay that I wear most of the time with trousers but I also sometimes reach for a Rancourt brown CXL belt if I am wearing jeans/color 8. I always thought the AE merlot belt would be a good choice for color 8 though, have not had a chance to check it out in person. http://www.allenedmonds.com/accesso...F39501.html?dwvar_SF39501_color=39501#start=2
I have an AE Merlot belt and it pairs really well with two pairs of AE burgundy shell that are about 4 years old and a lot lighter. I wouldn't wear it with any recent Alden color 8 though, which would be quite noticeably darker than the merlot belt. I have a plum museum calf belt on order from Vass that should match my Alden 975s nicely when they come in next month (hopefully). Some people also match belt color to sole edge color if the upper leather is exotic enough (like grey, pewter, or green, etc). I think black would work if you're really in a pinch. If your shells have black edges, that is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads