The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

2. BenLeaman

BenLeaman Senior member

I recommend contacting EP right now (if you're interested in saving time) as I just passed on my pair of the first run of the TTG suede boots....fyi

3. TO Tie Guy

TO Tie Guy Senior member

:censored:

4. BenLeaman

BenLeaman Senior member

Thank you! Baby's are cool, lol.

The GS is an amazing piece! Can't say enough good things about it.

As for wearing warm on the wrist, I haven't found it to be noticeable. The shell strap feels very comfortable even during the hot and humid east coast summers.
    No issues with bloom even when this watch sits as I'm wearing some of my other watches.

5. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

6. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Very cool. I have had Aram do a number of jobs for me. He is one of many reputable cobblers and a nice guy.
    Looking absolutely superb Don! I actually just photographed mine before heading to the airport. Those are rad trousers!
    Looking good in your classic Aldens and Selvedge.
    Life is tough when you have such rad makeups at your fingertips.
    Wow, that's way too hot for me. Looking good in your 987's. Keep cool sir! Looking stellar in your Cigar Bananas. Good to see your lawn again. -Mike

7. swils8610

swils8610 Senior member

Really want the Alt Weins! How do I get on the list?

8. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

9. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I guess it depends on how much the sales people know and where the shoe is in the process (and not every store has the same perspective or way of communicating).

I'm pretty new to the game, but delivery estimates in the Alden world take a variety of forms, and timing has a lot to do with what type of transaction is taking place (pro-order, MTO run, sale against a confirmed order, etc.). Here are a few thoughts, though I'm sure there are folks who can/should correct/clarify/fill in the holes:

Some retailers take pre-orders for a run they are planning to ask Alden to do for them. I'd guess they have some level of OK from Alden for the makeup itself, but they probably only have a general guarantee for delivery time. These get slotted in with more general production runs of the standard products, so any issues there probably push the small-batch orders out. Dates can also be affected by availability of material (shell colors tend to be scarce - especially anything other than Color 8 and to a lesser extent black. The Ravello/Whiskey/Cigar is entirely unpredictable and probably has a multi-year wait). Hand-stitching is another constriction point - my understanding is that the hand-stitching team has a backlog that is 6-8 months (though they may be catching up). So a Color 8 Norwegian Split Toe is probably a year or possibly even two. I get the feeling that a lot of retailers are reluctant to string people out that long so they make no commitments.

Once a shoe enters production (order is confirmed), it is usually 4-6 months based on what I was just told by the Alden Store in San Francisco (which is one of only two factory-owned stores - the rest are independent retailers). They just got confirmed for a Brown CXL NST on commando, and he said it would be July or more likley August to get the boots in.

I also have the impression that some of the better and/or higher-volume retailers (TSM, AoM, etc.) have better relationships and priority with Alden. Maybe that is just because they communicate better to both Alden and their customers, but one way or another their estimates seem more solid than some of the smaller guys.

I feel your pain. I'm trying to put the button on my sickness at the moment. Including the pair of boots that arrive next week I've bought four pairs of Aldens (three boots and a pair of LWB's), plans for a fifth (the NST's mentioned above) and six pairs of AE's since this past August. The boots that shipped today have felt pretty excruciating - I've had custom-ordered cars take less time.

My advice - take a breath, get the thing you want and just decide that anticipation makes the ultimate arrival even better...

10. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

11. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Well, the nuance there is the store-type. Really small stores seem to pretty much carry only Aldens standard models (also called "makeups"). The two company stores in SF and Washington DC mainly have the standard and a few custom makeups. TSM has a lot of custom and a lot of standard (probably the biggest selection of both). Alden of Madison (AoM) offers a fairly broad selection of both. Guys like Leffot and Epaulet seem to specialize in custom makeups. There are all kinds of retailers who seem to have a specialty - crepe soles, wide widths (can't remember who that was), orthodic lasts, etc.

This forum is an outstanding resource, and I'd be really, incredibly grateful to it if it wasn't the enabler for a pummeling of my credit card... [​IMG]

;)

Best of luck to you!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016

12. chrisefi

chrisefi Senior member

Congrats Ben! I was out of town and just saw this! Happy to hear that she's here. Best wishes!

13. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

styling boots mdubs.
    wise choice, can't go wrong with those.
    thank you mayor.

14. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

The color 8 band pictured in my original post is unlined Horween shell, looks and feels identical to other color 8 items I have. It is identical to the Nomos strap and even has a Nomos stamp on the back (with another stamp over it). I believe they could be Nomos seconds quality straps but I could be wrong since I do not see a flaw with mine. It\s honestly an amazing strap, would buy another one in a heartbeat.

This is the exact band I bought (http://www.ebay.de/itm/351294319594), it's in a smaller size so a little less expensive than others. $40 shipped for a Horween band cannot be beat. I love Guarded Goods and other leather guys making straps but I cannot yet swallow a $150+ band when these are readily available.

The Nomos strap same as the ebay link above, they call it brown but it is color 8 cordovan. http://www.nomos-store.com/en/Watch...nuine-Shell-Cordovan/brown-red-stitching.html

As for the whiskey strap, it is a Fluco strap that again is also Horween shell. The strap is padded and lined and I do not like it as much as unlined color 8 strap. This is the exact whiskey strap but I bought on ebay for much less at the time: http://www.chronoworld.com/fluco-horween-shell-cordovan-leather-watch-strap-1172.html

Edit: Couple more pics of the color 8 strap, you can see the Nomos stamp

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016

15. TommyB

TommyB Senior member

Me, jealous? No, no, my face is always this green. But If anyone has suddenly gone crazy and decides he doesn't want his new whiskey tankers and happens to be a 9D on Barrie, please feel free to PM me...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.