The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MT1982

MT1982 Senior member

Closest I know of to that is JGilbert, but they are on Commando soles. Could always get them resoled to double leather when the time comes (or even directly after purchase).

http://www.jgilbertfootwear.com/products-page/mens-shoe-collection/alden-boots-2/

2. od1017

od1017 Senior member

Fantastic work here sir!

3. chrisefi

chrisefi Senior member

These are absolutely atrocious. Send them to me and I will get rid of them for you right away! Great boots - an amazing color for a cap toe boot with antique and reverse welt. They look great with some wear! Thanks for posting up a pic and make sure to enjoy them.
    These turned out to be total stunnas! They're a really nice formal/casual boot. The antique welt dresses it down JUST enough. Nice score my friend!
    I.... I.... I have no words. Amazing DV!
    Someone had a good year! Congrats on all of the great makeups you scored in 2015. Glad to see that you're enjoying them and letting them out of the box!
    Un. Freaking. Real. Nice photo Mike! You have quite the lineup and it's hard to pick a favorite between the Color 4 wingtip boot and Brassvellos. Thanks for sharing pics of your coveted collection of brown/red tones. Also thanks for helping out hundreds of people in this thread and what an epic first post!
    I love this combination! I'm definitely going to have to break out the Cigar Indy boot with something similar to these. Looks great! Thanks for sharing a pic.
    Wow, I really don't know a single Ravello boot collection quite like this. You and Mike have more Ravello shell in the state of California than Alden has produced in the last 2 years! Amazing!
    Absolutely love these! That is all. :)
    You're 3 for 3! Cigar collection is looking awesome DV. Thanks for posting and giving us all a chance to take it in!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016

4. blue peter

blue peter Senior member

so i'm dejected, guys...starting off the year on the wrong foot ;-)

i just spent about 40 minutes with kathy at the Alden DC shop, trying on shoe after shoe in a mind numbing array of lasts, widths and lengths and in the end walked away with nothing. kathy's going to have a couple of pairs sent to the shop in combos she did not have on hand for me to try but i'm not feeling very hopeful. i've had two bad experiences, one with used alden boots ordered online that were way to long and wide and a pair i bought new at alden on madison avenue being slightly too short in the right foot only (salesman never should have sold them to me...but i shouldn't have convinced myself they fit, either ;-)

if you've made it this far down my rant, thank you and my question for you is: do you not buy a pair unless they are the illusive "perfect fit" or do you get the pair that fits "as well as possible" in the particular last and then stretch, massage, add an insole, tongue pad, sprinkle magic dust, etc. to get them the extra mile into "perfect fit" territory or do you simply not buy a certain makeup because it doesn't fit?

i'm heading to nyc next weekend and will try once more on madison avenue...past that i'm ready to switch to trickers...;-)

thanks for reading!

5. Neofio

Neofio New Member

I purchased my first pair of Alden shell cordovan captoe boots two months ago from Alden of Carmel. Overall, no problems with the comfort, and the fit too me is excellent (despite the admittedly hellish break-in period). The're as soft as butter now.

My concern is that from day 1, the left boot developed a single deep crease where the vamp flexes. You can see the difference in the two boots side-by-side:

[​IMG]

I understand that creases like this is property of shell, and I wasn't worried for a while. This was my first experience with shell cordovan, and I admittedly might have been a tad overexcited when trying them on for the first time, leading to the crease. My second pair of shell boots don't have this crease and has the soft "rolls" instead, similar to the right boot on this pair (I was more careful with my fist steps on the second pair).

The first week, had thought this was just wax buildup, so I wiped down that part of the vamp with Saphir Renovateur, which took out a lot of the wax and flattened it down with a shoe bone which made it almost disappear, but the crease simply reappeared when I wore it again. After that time, I decided to just accept it.

My concern is that the crease seems a bit... deep? Particularly at the side. I am worried that over time it might develop into a crack (or is it a crack already?) It also seems to collect dust rather easily.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These boots are supposed to last me a good long while. Is the shell dry or is this a sign of some other problem? Thanks.

6. bantone

bantone Well-Known Member

On second thought I just tried the Barries I have and they fit a bit roomy. If they were laceless they would hit my heel and stay there but there's room.

Guess I MAY go to a 10D then in Van Last.

7. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Damn! Those 972 look phenomenal.

8. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Sorry to hear about your woes, sizing is very hard and many take compromises there. What is your brannock width and length?

Madison and SF probably now have a wider variety of widths then DC as they did a recent reduction of their stock sizes there.

I am pretty certain one Alden last will work for you. Then it will be finding the makeups on that last that you like.

-Mike

9. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Moved your post over here for you @Neofio

10. blue peter

blue peter Senior member

thank you, mike! it's terrible but i can't remember exactly...i think i was a 12/12.5 B - i have quite narrow feet but toe area is somewhat boxy. kathy found the hampton last to fit me best, but of course none of the models i want are made in hampton, to my knowledge. was going in jazzed up for a pair of cordovan wingtip boots only to find the trubalance last is my enemy :) keeping fingers crossed for a norwegian toe boot in N8 working in nyc...really want a versatile boot good for a suit or jeans and then a LWB that's a bit more "country casual" for walking/weekends. basically, replacing my current two pair that i'm now selling off because neither fit...thank you, again, mike!

11. wonsmithr8

wonsmithr8 Senior member

Yeah that's what I figured. Oh well, thanks haha

12. AliMurtaza

AliMurtaza Well-Known Member

Bad day for me. On a member's advice, I had spoken to Cathy in Alden DC on Monday and she was super helpful. My brannock size is 10.5 B. After telling her about my experience on trying Barrie last locally in Chicago, we decided to order Cordovan wingtip shoe (Barrie last) in size 9.5 C and 10 C. Also ordered the Cordovan captoe boot (grant last) in size 9.5 D as Cathy did not have it on 10 C but most likely 9.5 D will be short.

Today after eagerly waiting for UPS, I was dismayed to discover that they end up sending someone else's order to me. My order has been sent to NYC by mistake. So now I am looking at a next week delivery, urghh

13. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

10.5 B???

Have you ever thought about trying TTS?

I know a great shop that has a pair that might fit you:

http://aldenofsandiego.com/for-sale-alden-ravello-shell-cordovan-plain-toe-bluchers-10-5b/

Rare model to boot...or shoe in this instance.

14. AliMurtaza

AliMurtaza Well-Known Member

Apparently Cordovan grant last boot doesn't come in 10.5 B. Thus, I wanted 10 C. On the Barrie last, everyone sizes down. I tried a Barrie last CXL boot in 9.5 D in Chicago and it was loose. Thought I should check both 9.5 C and 10 C in Barrie last.

Thanks, I will check the model.

15. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Welcome over to the Alden thread, @neofio, I appreciate your concern. Unfortunately, all Shell Cordovan shoes crease no matter how hard you try to not crease them. Each shoe fits differently on your feet due to variability in foot (and shoe) sizes. Therefore, I am not surprised to see different creasing between the two. The creases are deeper, but I don't think this has much to anything to do with the dryness or moisture in the shell. It's just a factor of how the shoes were flexed and how the material accommodated the flex. I have a few pairs that have deep creases like yours do. It shouldn't be a problem. That's just how they were meant to crease. As noted, if it pleases you, like it does me, you can brush and buff out the creases between wears. -Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.