• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
really, did that change recently? I consider myself lucky then for the pair I got awhile back.

Do indeed sell to the US market. No changes there, to be honest. We don't generally sell Alden online though, as we like to give people real fittings. Some are very well aware of their sizes, however.
Edit: @mdubs , sorry, thought I sent you a message about selling to US previously, or maybe it was over instagram. As you say though, we generally order e-widths.

@kwhitelaw
Those captoes are getting beautiful. Glad to see them being used :)
This specific model will probably not be around for a very long time, though.

Last edited:

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here they are after a wipe down with a very wet cloth and a wet toothbrush along the welt, and a towel dry. Scuffs and scratches show character.

Here they are after a quick treatment with Renovateur, some light paste wax, some brushing (not a lot), an application of Alden leather defender, and a buff with an old cotton t-shirt. They look fantastic. Shell is some great stuff.

Note the watermark--more character!

Looks like I may be wearing them down there again tomorrow for more marksmanship fun.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Perfect example of why shell is amazing. I mean, just look at how well the boots cleaned up. Alden's glow is unparalleled.

Your boots are lovely!

MT1982

Reaction score

FLW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wowzers! Not a model you see everyday. Are these old?
Thanks!

They are somewhat old. Certainly pre-#menswear Alden days, but not old enough to have the 4A Alden logo. The grain is a cool detail but the color is what really sets it apart. There is much more of a distinct red undertone to it than that photo would suggest.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do indeed sell to the US market. No changes there, to be honest. We don't generally sell Alden online though, as we like to give people real fittings. Some are very well aware of their sizes, however.
Edit: @mdubs
 , sorry, thought I sent you a message about selling to US previously, or maybe it was over instagram. As you say though, we generally order e-widths. 

@kwhitelaw

Those captoes are getting beautiful. Glad to see them being used :)
This specific model will probably not be around for a very long time, though. 

E Widths? My curiosity Is now piqued. Any interesting TruBalance makeups coming up?

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are there any shell corrdovan watch straps available similar to Alden's shell quality and in Whiskey or Ravello? 

pictures for inspiration? 

eBay.de (Search "shell cordovan 20mm" etc) will hook you up. Bought a whiskey Fluco and two color 8 bands there. Great bands and not one was over $50 shipped, my latest color 8 was only $35 shipped (pictured below). The color 8 bands even turned out to be Nomos straps, I believe the seller had them as seconds possibly.

20mm: http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_odkw...n+20mm.TRS0&_nkw=shell+cordovan+20mm&_sacat=0

22mm: http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_odkw...n+22mm.TRS0&_nkw=shell+cordovan+22mm&_sacat=0

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Are there any shell corrdovan watch straps available similar to Alden's shell quality and in Whiskey or Ravello?

pictures for inspiration?

I guess that I will jump into this conversation as well. I have the RIOS 1931 Natural Shell Cordovan watch strap (22mm) with an adapter kit for my Apple Watch. After approximately daily wear since October 14th, its probably closer in color to Ravello now than Whiskey. :)

I personally would buy my next one from Jesse (GuardedGoods or @Deusis ).

-Mike

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've tried cordovan straps from Leffot and Leathersoul in Whiskey and Color 4 (all from Horween). Same as Alden cordovan, stamped Horween on the back.

And to the Mayor, I am constantly haunted by your whiskey indy's.

mattw

Reaction score
Hey watches, something I can actually contribute on...

I have a Fluco black shell strap, and Hodinkee straps in navy, green, and natural. Definitely recommend the Hodinkee straps, they're much, much more supple. No idea why, could be the different stitching, different thickness or grade of shell if that is such a thing, etc. Never would have believed there'd be such a difference just seeing them online.

Also have my eyes on Deusis/Guarded Goods and a formfunctionform button-stud in Color 8.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.coolvintagewatches.com/watch-straps/shell-cordovan-sport

These are Horween like Aldens. I haven't seen the tan in person to know what it looks like, but i'd guess somewhere in the Ravello range. The 20mm one taper to 16mm at the buckle which they don't state on their site.
Hello fellow shell and Alden fans. I have been making custom watch straps since 2007, which are completely hand sewn by me. I have a full supply of shells including Color #8, Black, Cigar, Navy and Whiskey. I also have a couple of Dark Cognac shells coming from Horween tomorrow.

Straps can be completely customized with or without taper, padding, backing ect. My website does not currently list all of the options, however all of the above can be done in any width, thickness, thread ect. The link is in my signature.

Here is a cross post from the WAYWRN thread of a whiskey shell nato:

I do realize I am blatantly advertising here so mod's please feel free to delete my message. I am a regular on SF, so I thought I would throw my name in the hat for watch straps.

Best,

DL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads