1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayDotz

JayDotz Senior member

Looking for some input from you guys. I got the shell pct boot from j crew on the recent sale. They look good except there are a couple of broken stitches where the quarter panel meets the vamp. Is this something that will get worse? I'm inclined to think it won't since there isn't any pressure against it when laced.

I talk to customer service and they told me I could send them back and they will prove match for me whenever they get a restock. I talked with them a little more and the rep offered me a additional 10% off of I wanted to keep them. That brings them down to about $410 which is a steal. I'm inclined to keep them provides the problem won't get worse.

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Heatmiser

Heatmiser Senior member

I have done my best to search online for an answer to this question. I am between a 9.5D and 10D on the Brannock scale. However, I have a "meaty" foot which requires me to buy shoes with room for a higher instep. I am in the market for an Alden Indy boot in Natural Chromexcel on the Trubalance last so I went to my only local Alden shoe store to try on a few sizes. Unfortunately they only carry D size widths.

I first tried on the 9.5D Alden Indy boot and the length/heel/instep felt fine but the toe box area was too snug and my pinky toe was bulging out a little immediately. So I jumped up to the size 10D and the heel/instep/toe box felt fine although the length seemed a little to long (my toes were maybe just over 1 inch from front of boot on 10D). Both the 9.5D and 10D were fine in regards to the ball of foot fitment on the widest part of the shoe.

My initial thought was I should special order the boots in a 9.5E which would solve the tight toe box issue on the 9.5D and length issue moving up to the 10D. However, the shoe guy said that the heel in a 9.5E boot will be a size C which is (obviously) bigger than the size B heel in a 9.5D sized boot. For a point of reference, I asked him how the size C heel in the 9.5E boot would compare "fit-wise" to a size B heel in the 10D boot and he was unsure.

Can anyone with experience let me know?

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  3. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

Try the modified last if you can, the guys at Moulded have Indy boots not sure what their specific stock is but give them a call they are very nice and helpful people.

The length on the 10D may not seem as extreme once you break the boot in but sounds like it is probably not ideal. The larger heel of the E width ie the C will be slightly bigger than its size up brother down one width (10 D/B) but since they are boots it may not be that big of a deal in terms of mitigating heel slip or whatever may be the issue with a larger heel. There is variance pair to pair as well and you will never know until you try it unfortunately. Check out what TSM has in stock, I did a quick look and they have at least one 9.5E, if it doesnt work they have a very customer friendly return policy.

If I were you I would not wear the the narrower 9.5D squeezing my pinky, it will stretch and may end up "comfortable" but you will be doing that at the expense of your anatomy which IMO is a bad idea.

Or, seek another brand (I know I am talking sacrilege within the Alden Forum) but there is always the possibility that the last does not work for you and short of bespoke there may be a better option out there.

4. AMD500

AMD500 Senior member

Think your gonna get some heal slip. I have the same problems...I tend to go a little snug as Natty Chrome is a big stretcher.

5. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

If your pinky toe is bulging out on a Trubalance last on a 9.5D, you likely meausre between 9.5E or 10E on a Brannock, not 9.5D to 10D. I measure ~10F on Brannock and find 9.5E to fit well on the Trubalance last. Alden E Widths are readily available, so you should be able to buy one online to try on.

6. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

[​IMG]

Well aged Whiskey in dire need of some Renovator. That is all I use anymore on my shells. Maybe on some lighter models I'll coat once every blue moon with neutral wax very lightly.

2 people like this.
  7. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

Both are the same exact marked size and very similar pattern which I think makes the comparison a little easier.

[​IMG]

Whiskey Truflare Cigar NST

[​IMG]
    Cigar NST

1 person likes this.
  8. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Great looking shoes, but with the picture taken on an angle it makes the perspective look really weird.

9. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

Hahaha - fait point. Didnt realize it was that off. Ill try again in a few.

10. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

you know who to call if you decide to unload those cigar nst

11. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

Haha, Ill keep that in mind

As for the pic, hopefully this one is better:
    [​IMG]

12. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Picked these up off the classifieds here for an extremely good price. I cleaned them up with my usual routine (wet brush, Bick 4, VSC). First pair of loafers. I'm not a loafer guy but I think these will be nice for the summer time. Ravello shell, Aberdeen last full-strap loafer. 2009 production, model 6846. Not sure which retailer offered these, but I'm guessing from the standard Alden heel pad that it was either Alden DC or @Alden of Carmel .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  13. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

I believe Kathy told me she made them and they sold horribly for some reason. How times have changed.

14. bustert

bustert Senior member

Thanks much!

15. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Ha, how times have changed.

I believe TheShoeMart had these as well at some point, but they don't have the Bootmaker Edition heel pad.

16. thromb

thromb Senior member

New Epaulet Alt Wein Bluchers at the end of the first day of wear. Well worth the year+ wait :)

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  17. RevisIsland

RevisIsland Senior member

I was told she wont make them anytime soon again because the demand isnt there. I asked for exotic full straps or tassel loafer and was told they wont sell as well as a lwb, or a boot- so they use their exotic leather allocation for what sells.

18. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

While I agree that Alden's boots and bluchers are more popular than the dress shoes, exotic dress shoes and loafers would definitely sell.

Retailers have made cigar (Citishoes) and ravello tassels (Leffot) recently - they sold well. I remember Alden Madison and Alden DC having whiskey balmoral wingtips and whiskey full straps, those have sold out as well and haven't been made in a while. I would love a ravello dress balmoral of some kind.

19. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

In 2016 one could make a whiskey croc sandle and it would sell.

4 people like this.
  20. bustert

bustert Senior member

Awesome! Thanks! They look quite similar - the truflare looks a touch wider.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.