The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrVenneri

MrVenneri Senior member

[​IMG]

PSA: Snuff Suede WT Boots are shipping to B+M this coming week. If you fit a 9D Barrie and want to assume my pre-order send me a PM.

2. HenryIII

HenryIII Senior member

A little snuff LWB today

[​IMG]

3. HenryIII

HenryIII Senior member

I agree with this for CXL as well. In addition, I've used a brown cream polish on some of the rougher scuffs to put a little color back into the leather with good results. Cream polish tends to impart a bit more pigment than wax paste IMO.

4. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I'd use the neutral most of the time, but that is me. My brushing vs. product session are something like 10 to 1...

5. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I'm on that order, and I'm really excited! My first suede! I got a little carried away and bought a snuff belt from Epaulet when I ordered these in Octobern and I wonder what tone this batch of boots will have. The belt leans a little more brown than some of the olive tones I see around - I'm not worried about a perfect match though. Can't wait to see them!

6. swils8610

swils8610 Senior member

Do you guys use diff horse hair brushes based on the color of the shoe? Separate brushes for diff color shoes?

7. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Here's a cut/paste of the short version of my take on shoe care (heavily based on things learned on this forum) - the next-to-last addresses the brush question:
    :
    • Use a shoe horn every time you put the shoes on if at all possible. I carry a small plastic horn in my laptop bag, travel with a bigger one and have a nice natural horn one at home.
    • Use trees with shoes when they're not being worn. Let them breathe for a few minutes before putting in the trees
    • Brush shoes for 30 seconds or so before and after each wear. Brushing before shines them up a bit and brings up the leather, brushing after helps keep them clean after a day's use. I'm a fan of bags, too.
    • Allow any pair of leather shoes rest for at least 24 hours between wears if possible. It won't kill them if you occasionally have to go back to back (e.g. when traveling), but always better to rotate.
    • Develop a shoe rotation. Having 3-4 pairs of shoes you rotate through helps keep your shoes happy, but even two pairs should more than double the lifespan of the shoes.
    • There are no hard rules on care routine. Most people probably overdo it. If your days tend to be long and hard - exposure to outdoors, lots of steps, etcs. - condition more frequently - I'd say minimum every 3-5 wears depending on how the shoe looks/feels. If you drive to an work, walk into a carpeted office and walk minimally around and then go back home, I'd say every 5-8 wears. I wind up picking 1 Sunday a month and doing several pairs I wear the most. If the shoe doesn't look or feel like it needs some love, I'll wipe/brush and leave it alone.
    • For care products. I have one brush for each color of polish (marked with a sharpie for what color I use it for) I use and one for daily brushing (which I also use for uncolored conditioner, in my case Saphir Renovateur or Bick 4). I've got a couple welt brushes that come in handy, but 90% of my routine is handled with the big brushes and cloths. I use 8" brushes because I tend to whack the shoes with smaller 6" brushes, though I do have one 6" I use when I travel. I use creme wax infrequently and paste wax about half as much as creme, but I'm not a shiny-shoe guy.
    • Use cut-up old t-shirts for cloths as long as they are 100% cotton. Cut away any seams and edges (the thread might scratch). I put patches as well as long strips for buffing. Allen Edmonds sells flannel polishing cloths for $2 that a very nice also (http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/s...loth/SF591.html?dwvar_SF591_color=545#start=1).

I'm probably forgetting something (and it really isn't very short [​IMG]), and I'm certainly not an expert, so some may take issue with something above, but all of that works well for me.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016

8. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Yes. I have 5 brushes.

Black and Navy (I use a different cotton cloth for Navy)
    Color 8
    Cigar and Cognac
    Ravello and Color 4
    Whiskey and Color 2 (I use a different cotton cloth for Color 2)

It's worth the few bucks to prevent dye hoping.

-Mike

9. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

i love the alden box cartoon. if hank hill ever bought 975s..
    thank you sir.
    thank you sir. yes, patinaed is a word.
    welcome to the thread. glad to hear you're keeping the shoes. that flaw is not a deal breaker.
    thanks mayor.
    great pick ups and photo. enjoy your new horses.
    yes. i use 4, i'm sure one could argue only 2 are needed... i like 4.

10. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Gentlemen,

Hope you don't mind a shot of these:

[​IMG]

Alden Ravello Day-Trippers.

Happy Saturday!

11. orionz06

orionz06 Active Member

They're in and on the way to me now!

12. KPDarb

KPDarb Senior member

^^ Damn. Those gave me this instant urge to go swimming... Thats a hell of a shine of those daytrippers @watchman

btw, thanks to the kind stranger who passed on their 11.5D BM snuff suede boots. It made my day after telling Yenni I cant do 11D. Cheers

13. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Conservation boots. Super Comfy out of the box

[​IMG]

14. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I know a lot of regular posters on this thread aren't a fan of the wedge sole, but honestly this is one of the best uses of the wedge sole I have seen on an Alden boot. This is really an excellent casual/weekend boot. I also like the Leffot natural CXL chukka on the wedge sole...

15. swils8610

swils8610 Senior member

Great boots gentleman!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.