1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dennnnis777

dennnnis777 Active Member

2. jjschube

jjschube Senior Member

I love these....really on the fence on whether to get them...This would make four Alden's in two years for me! Yenni does have one more in my size too :/

3. patrick_b

patrick_b Distinguished Member

+1

I love your images, please keep 'em coming.

4. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Distinguished Member

Ah @Burzan is Sartorial Sketches. Was trying to figure it out. ;)

5. sazon

sazon Distinguished Member

Thank you Sir. And your awesomely patinaed (word???) cigar indys are superb!

6. Burzan

Burzan Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

7. drewvacavaliers

drewvacavaliers Member

hey everyone, been lurking in the thread for a while, but this is my first post here. i became interested in aldens about one year ago after reading a lot of posts on the "goodyearwelt" subreddit of reddit.com (i'm guessing some of you have stumbled across it) and learning more about shoes/boots. my first purchase was the venerable indy 403. i owned other reasonably nice shoes/boots at the time (e.g., allen edmonds and wolverine 1000K), but i was blown away by the indys.

i've been trying to expand my collection since i picked up the indys, and i have some aldens in CXL, suede, and reverse chamois, but i've never had anything in shell. i recently decided to take a chance on a pair of seconds from the shoe mart and ordered a cap toe boot on the modified last in color 8. the boot seems to fit me well, and i personally like the look of the modified last (i gather some people find the shape a bit odd).

anyway, the only flaw i can find is a scratch or abrasion on the right toe (see attached photos), and i'm trying to determine if it's a deal breaker/reason to return. i've read a bit about cordovan care, and it seems like scratches, etc., can be buffed or polished away with a deer bone. would that be an option here? would a paste wax polish work? any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Mghart

Mghart Senior Member

If that's the only flaw that made them 'seconds', I'd keep them if you like them. That can be buffed out/polished and will most likely go away with time. Those are great looking boots!

9. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Disco, just a few things. First, your photographs are excellent and despite many people here not commenting or even "thumbs upping" them, I can assure you that they are well received and greatly appreciated. Second, don't put all of your hopes into people, especially online, they will always inevitably let you down. I take all of my pictures for myself and if other people enjoy them, then great. If not, then I have a fantastic way of remembering some of my favorite things.
    BK, your Black Navals are looking superb and are great with those Gustin jeans. Hope you had a good Black Friday!
    I say do it. The Snuff CT Boots are pretty cool. I also vote on adding a Natty CXL LHS.
    Your CC CTs are looking very good. It's good to see them out and in action!
    Looking like not your average Joe in your Choco Tanker Zenny Boots. I have to wait for my pair to make the cross country excursion.
    Soupy, congratulations on your find. Finding an Alden at a thrift is not a daily occurrence. Especially a Shell Cordovan makeup. Those to me appear to be the stock 2160, Color 8 Captoe Blucher on the Aberdeen Last. The final digit on model number typically refers to slight variances to the pattern, whether it is sole or edge dressing. For example, the 975 is the Color 8 LWB, 9751 is the Black Shell LWB, 9750 is the Ravello LWB with Mohagony Edges, 97504 is the Ravello LWB with Tan Antique Edges, and 97506 is the Ravello LWB with Tan Antique Edges and a Double Waterlock sole. I don't see anything different there. In terms of the repair work done to the inside, it will slightly impact resale prices of them, but your focus should really be on getting the upper as pristine as possible. As you mentioned, the soles look pretty darn good!
    Looking great DV! Love them Cigars!
    As Mg said, those are really good for Seconds. I would personally keep them and enjoy them. You will likely get bigger scuffs on them through wearing. If you wanted to, you can heavily reduce or remove that with brushing, buffing and use of a deer bone. -Mike

10. swils8610

swils8610 Senior Member

Question on polishing Alden calf and Adlen CXL. Do you recommend polish or cream for polishing brown calf and for polishing brOwn CXL's? And lastly what brand? Alden or maybe Saphir products?

11. drewvacavaliers

drewvacavaliers Member

@mdubs @Mghart thanks, guys. i appreciate the advice. i was leaning toward keeping them but would've had second thoughts if someone strongly advised against it.

12. KPDarb

KPDarb Distinguished Member

Well for any calf one would recommend using a wax based product for polishing as you can achieve a much better shine. Creams are not intended for a high gloss shine (correct me if I'm wrong). I don't have any experience with Alden wax polish but their cream is great for cxl. Wax, water, and work is what you need for a good shine of calf shoes. The cream doesn't "polish" but help retain the natural sheen that is already part of cxl's character. I use VSC and Alden neutral cream on my cxl shoes/boots and both work great.

13. M635Guy

M635Guy Distinguished Member

The general recommendation is wiping with a slightly damp cloth and then brushing for a few minutes. I use Alden Boot cream every once in a while (twice in 6 months, which is probably still a little much), but have also heard good things about the Saphir Greasy cream.

14. swils8610

swils8610 Senior Member

So Alden wax for calf and Alden boot cream for CXL. What color boot cream for the brown CXL? Neutral of brown?

15. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Distinguished Member

My four most recent buys - all captoes, three different leathers

Leather Soul Color 8 Jumper Boot (Trubalance)
    Leather Soul Brown CXL Conservation Boot (Trubalance)
    Moulded Shoe Medallion Captoe Blucher (Modified)
    9070 - Straight Tip Captoe Balmoral (Hampton)

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.