Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Nice looking Cigar Boots. Enjoy your day! Had a good day today enjoying the sun at Cabrillo National Monument today myself.
    Lovely looking Snuffs! Enjoy your Chukkas.
    Hard to tell, but guy is that those look too big. Suggest you try a variety of sizes to nail the fit.
    Looking great Andy, those are amongst my favorites!!!
    Welcome Matt! You can slow the Brownout by using Paste Wax a pidge more as well. You should be able to send to Alden for a refinish (not a restore) if you change the soles.
    You and BK did a good job rocking the PTBs. Enjoy them today! -Mike

2. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Definitely do not go up a width to E. Barrie already has a very wide heel. If you're experiencing heel slip in the 9.5D, the best choice is probably to try a 10C or a 9.5C. 9D and 9E will be way too short and 8.5E will be impossible. You want your toes to have some room to wiggle and breathe. You could try 9.5C as well, although I would not recommend it. I think the best choice would be to order a pair of 10C and 9.5C and go from there.

For most people, the best option with Barrie is to go down a width from their Brannock size, not a 1/2 size in length. However, due to the limited availability of narrow widths, most people go down a 1/2 size in length instead.

Alden DC, Alden SF, and TheShoeMart all can order the 9901 in C width for you. There should be stock in the Alden warehouse.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016

3. mattw

mattw Well-Known Member

Thanks mdubs!

4. MrVenneri

MrVenneri Senior member

I would opt out of the 9E idea unless you felt so inclined as to humor yourself.

I would try a 9D and 8.5D as finding C widths can be a bit of a challenge. While the 8.5D will likely be too small, it'll give you a good idea of how sizing changes incrementally. However if you have the access, the more the merrier! Trust me when I say a well fitting shoe that supports your foot in all the right places can quite literally brighten your day. Adversely...a sloppy fit can have the inverse effect.

5. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Respectfully, unless he was sized by a total novice on the Brannock, there is no way a 10D Brannock foot (especially with a high instep) is going to fit into an 8.5D Barrie shoe (especially the PTB, which tends to be a touch tighter than other styles). Given his statement that the toebox on his 9.5D pair feels good, even the 9D will likely be too short for him. An 8.5D is going to be laughably small.

Like I said above, the best option for him is to try a 10C and a 9.5C. Going shorter than that is going to lead to crushed toes and some nasty nerve pain down the road.

6. MrVenneri

MrVenneri Senior member

I certainly respect your opinion and I welcome additional insights as I find them beneficial to the entire community...however my own personal experience differs significantly.

As previously mentioned I am both a 10 in length and instep on both of my feet. I've been measured under a variety of different variables (dress socks, boot socks, no sock, 10AM - 9PM) and can definitely claim to be said length beyond any and all reasonable doubt. My width in both feet is closer to a C than D and my arches/instep are low. That said, for me, a 9.5D is huge all-around, a 9.5C is 'okay' in width but too long in length and a 9.5B is too tight. Going down a half size the 9D is pretty good and I still have ~.5" left in toe length. Additionally I wear a UK8.5 in EG's.

I think the overarching theme here is that fit is a relative term unique to the perspective of the wearer. While advice can be offered via second perspective there is absolutely no substitute for a first hand experience trying on different sizes in person.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. tobiasfunke

tobiasfunke Senior member

Hey guys, I appreciate all the feedback I'm getting with regards to sizing. As a sanity check, I just got back from my local Allen Edmonds store where I got properly measured on the Brannock. What they measured was pretty much exactly what I remembered from the last time I was measured:

Heel to toe: 10
    Instep: 12
    Width: D

Because of the high instep, he recommended a 10-10.5 in Allen Edmonds.

What's baffling to me is why the 9.5 Barrie looks and feels so long. I tried them on again and there's easily 1.25"+ of extra space. And because of my instep, shouldn't the ball of my foot be resting more forward in a narrower part of the shoe?

8. HenryIII

HenryIII Senior member

Color 8 Alt Wein x Epaulet

[​IMG]

9. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Those look great! I noticed they've released a natty CXL version, but have already sold out of 11.5. I wish Alden or whoever orders sizing would put a higher mix of 11.5's out there. Always seems very hard to get..

10. HenryIII

HenryIII Senior member

Thanks! I think there were very few stock units available for the natty Alt Wein, most were spoken for through pre-orders.

11. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Quote:When did the preorder happen? Surprised I missed that... Still seems true in any case - lots of 11 and 12's in shoes I'm interested in, but 11.5D seems to sell out quickly and often. e.g. Yenni's brown CXL NST's. I'd buy a pair today if she had them in 11.5, but she has an 11 and a 12.

12. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Traditionally you size at the larger of the ball or toe measurement, and adjust the width accordingly. so in a 12, you'd be closer to a B width (estimating, no factual evidence). I would suggest going to get professionally fit.

13. cyclohexane

cyclohexane Senior member

I have February 27, 2015 as the date for my preorder for the Epaulet natural Alt Wein.

14. tobiasfunke

tobiasfunke Senior member

So I've heard. Based on what I've seen from this 9.5, a 12 would look like clown shoes.

My only other pair of dress shoes I have to compare these to is a cheap pair of Stafford Wing tips: http://dappered.com/2014/06/in-review-the-jc-penney-stafford-logan-wingtip/

They recommended going a half size down on those, so I went with a 9.5D and they fit perfectly. Placed side by with my Barrie, the Barrie dwarfs the shoe, and is a good inch longer.

Is it possible I got a mislabled pair? How much extra toe box space do you guys have when sizing 1/2 down from Brannock?

15. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

If you are referring to the just arrive EP natty alt wein, I have 11.5D enroute but might not be keeping them. If you might be interested, PM me and I'll follow back up with you once I get them in my hands and make the determination.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.