Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Cigar gunboats 2day. These are from the recent dark cigar run, but they are lightening up nicely esp. on the vamp.

[​IMG]

2. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I think that @bool2gom is interested in a pair of Van-lasted LHS that are in a size 8.0D. Based on the sizes he has experience with and my experience with Tricker's and my EU numbered Vass (I wear a 7 on the Stowe boot and 41 on Vass's "New Peter" last), I advised him that the LHS loafers in 8.0 would probably be a bit small.

Does the throbbing SF-brain concur with that assessment?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016

3. bool2gom

bool2gom Member

hehe cheers Danny :foo:

4. tobiasfunke

tobiasfunke Senior member

I just ordered my first pair of Aldens—the 9901 PTB in Black Shell Cordovan from The Shoe Mart. I'm a 10D on the Brannock so I sized down to a 9.5D based on the recommendations here.

I also got some Alden cedar shoe trees as well as some Alden paste wax (which I understand should be used sparingly and infrequently).

I still need to get a horsehair brush—what you recommend? And as far as storage goes, what should I be doing in addition to using shoe trees?

5. Fawkes007

Fawkes007 Well-Known Member

Allen Edmonds has decent horsehair brushes for not too much.

After I wear my cordos, I let them cool off a bit, then put the shoe trees in, then put them in the Alden shoe bags (they come with those so you don't need to buy them) and you're done. You may want to spritz a little water on a washcloth and wipe them down (gently) before and after each wear. From what I've been told, less is more in terms of upkeep of your cordos. There are all kinds of videos on youtube and such that will give you a good idea for maintenance.

I hope the shoes work out for you - my PTB shells, as are all my Aldens, fantastic shoes. Make sure the fit is right for you (wear them indoors and only on carpet - don't crease them).

Hope this helps.

6. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Quote:I like the AE brushes except they are pretty small. I always seem to get a little careless and bonk the shoes, so I've moved to 8" brushes. This one has been awesome for me: [​IMG] http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ANOYGW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage I have three of those brushes - one for the quick brushing at the beginning and end of the day, one for shoe care with brown and one for clear. I have one of the smaller AE brushes dedicated for shoe care with my single pair of black shoes, and another AE brush I take when I travel. Yes, I have a brush problem. It isn't worse than my shoe problem. ;)

7. BurntPockets

BurntPockets Senior member

8. chrisefi

chrisefi Senior member

Thanks! I was hesitant about the flat welt vs. the Leffot makeup with the storm welt and all eyelets. I now actually prefer the flat welt in terms of aesthetics. I plan to splash around on rainy and snowy days with these, so I am hoping that these are just as waterproof. I don't plan on standing in a river, but maybe a puddle or two.

I also tend to like the speed hooks if I'm going to be wearing these frequently at all. All eyelets looks amazing, but they're a huge pain in the ass when it comes to lacing them up in the morning.

I'd give Yenni a call - she's likely going to run these again and keeps a list. She might even take a small deposit if she has them on her roadmap. She doesn't have them for Spring/Summer, but maybe for Fall 2016 (perfect boot weather)!

9. Michigan Planner

I think there's a good reason we don't see that makeup more often. :stirpot:

10. tobiasfunke

tobiasfunke Senior member

11. Hill

Hill Senior member

I use an old t-shirt. Works well.

12. Michigan Planner

Ditto the old t-shirts. If you have a soft old flannel or chamois cloth shirt, those work really well too. I just use whatever soft cotton shirt has met the end of its useful life as a shirt.

13. EP Sam

EP Sam Well-Known Member

The TO Tie Guy boot has arrived...WOW! We are so thrilled with how these made up [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Anyone who ordered one should have an email in their inbox and the balance payment page is here.

14. Michigan Planner

@EP Sam - Awesome news! Deposit has been paid and I cannot wait for them to be on my feet!

15. iLuveketchup

iLuveketchup Senior member

That snuff Epaulet make up is nice!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.