1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

$835 is a LOT of money for a pair of shoes... but so is $775.

At that point it's not really about the money, more about like vs love, or want vs need. If you really love the $835 pair of boots, buy them as apposed to a slightly cheaper pair you don't love as much.

But yeah, it bugs me that they charge more for no apparent reason.

2. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

It is about the money. I have boots that have cost much more than $835. But, for me/to me, Alden shell boots are not worth more than $775.

2 people like this.
  3. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Long time no post, this thread seems like it's moving faster than ever and is nearly impossible to keep up with anymore! Whiskey Wednesday for me today:

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  4. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

I just started the Alden game about a year ago. In that short time, calf has gone from low 500s to high 500s and will be above 600 after the next increase. Shell was high 600s now mid 700s and will go to 800+ for sure in the next few months.

I have gotten most but not all of what I wanted already, but I won't be pursuing anything else new at this point. It's just too much per pair. For me we're hitting the crossroads.

C&J/Polo wanting $1K for their shell is absolutely laughable. They HAVE to have seen a huuuge downturn in interest, I don't care how rare shell is.

I say all this having spent $730 yesterday for the Harrison Cigar dovers :rolleyes

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

Thank you gentlemen for the kind words. I should have saved yesterday's picture for today's whiskey wednesday....
    jr, cheers
    henry, stay classy san diego
    sftg?!?!?! i thought you left us

6. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I think I am in the minority on this, but in my opinion, the Marlow shoes should be priced at or above Alden based on quality of construction and materials, how long they last, etc (my Marlow wingtips seem indestructible). They don't have Alden's shiny finishing, but everything else is on par or better. $995 seems unreasonable, but $800 for "regular price" doesn't seem too absurd if Alden 975s cost $750. Of course, over the past 15-20 years they have sold the shoes at a discount periodically, so the market is conditioned to them being available for less than Alden prices.

7. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

good lord... [​IMG]
    love the tassels and trousers dubs.
    Great whiskey - green pairing. that's my favorite whiskey combo.
    Best of luck with those. I would have PMed you if i didn't have a similar pair. They look awesome.

1 person likes this.
  8. bantone

bantone Well-Known Member

So help me out guys. One of the guys here is selling some Suede Snuff Loafers on here in a 10.5D Van Last but I'm confused in regards to sizing.

I am a 10D in my Alden 990. 10.5D in my Rancourt Loafers..these stretched out a but due to wearing them more in the fall/winter with heavy socks. I'm a 11.5D in my Allen Edmond Strands. I tried on an Aberdeen last before and was an 11D.

In form fitting shoes like a wrestling shoe I'm an 11.5. My sizing is all over the place. I'm thinking if I'm a 10D in Barrie then a 10.5D in a Van Last would be a perfect snug fit but I'm so hesitant in regards to sizing. I almost feel I need to try a pair of Van Lasts in person. Thoughts guys?

9. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

@bantone

How does Barrie fit in a 10D?

tight, loose, a bit long or short etc?

Thanks.

10. ATLVol

ATLVol Senior member

In my experience, the suede LHS fits more tightly than shell.

I am an 11d barrie and have the #8 LHS in an 11 and the snuff suede LHS in an 11.5....tried the snuff in an 11 but it was way too tight across the vamp.

11. kelpqq

kelpqq Senior member

Would anyone be interested in pair of Needsupply color 8 PTB with antique edging in size 8.5D (barrie)?

I was one of them who got them at the "wrong" price, I am about to send them back since I purchased another pair Longwings. I just wonder if anyone here would be interest in a deal. Only looking to get what I paid for it. PM if interested, see my forsale thread for pictures.

12. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

day 4. Alden #8

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

back row: sw x bb, halleck x unionmade, plaza x frans boone, cap toe boots, tanker x leffot, saddles
    front row: saddles x leffot, nst, alt wien x epaulet, lwb, tassels x bb

9 people like this.
  13. bantone

I guess my 10D Barrie I would say fits snug to me. It's still a roomy shoe.

14. bantone

double post

15. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

I think Van in 10.5D should be good then.

16. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Is it just me, or are fewer and fewer color 8 boots being made with dark edges and on leather soles?

17. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Just another passing fad.

It will all come around again.

I like the antique with #8, just not as much as black.

Also, I would rather have a leather sole with Topy's than commando or crepe.

But, I guess I am just an old fogey.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

I was blown away by the antique edge with color 8 combos when first getting into Alden and now I am drawn to the black edge. I do still love my Leffot tankers and I think it's because its still a bit darker of an antique edge and the flat welt keeps the color to a minimum compared to a storm welt.

I actually would love to get pair of plaza last cap toe boots on double leather in 2016. Maybe all eyelets though. No clue if anyone is making such a beast at the moment.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  19. gilby

gilby Senior member

Lovely collection sir. Do you find that you get much use out of the tankers and Plaza Dr. Jones boots.
    I have booth as well and find my tankers get the majority of wear.

20. Don L

Don L Senior member

Blackbird via AODC Black Grain and Color 8 Saddles

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.