1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xiaopigu

xiaopigu Active Member

Interesting, because Thromb said that the Barrie is great for people with a high instep. Thanks for the input :)

2. jjschube

jjschube Senior Member

Thanks Mike!

3. HeyBremen

HeyBremen Member

Hi gentlemen,

I'm planning for my next Alden purchase and hope to seek your advice.

I'm looking for a LWB/Wingtip boot in tan calf and considering these three options:
    1. Tan Calfskin Wing Tip Boot from Brick+Mortar

2. Waxed LWB (18582) from J.Crew
    3. LWB in burnished calf tan (979) from Lost & Found

My first question is: what's the difference between the "waxed" calf of the 18582 and the "burnished calf" of the 979? It really puzzles me that the 18582 shows a darker shade in the photos on J.Crew's website, but looks virtually the same as the 979 in other photos I found on Google......

The second question (a few sub-questions actually) is about sizing. I tried on a J.Crew PCT boot in 8D, which seemed to fit me well and not snug at all; and an unlined dover (with storm welt) in shell in 7.5D, which was a little bit snug but seemed to wrap my feet perfectly, I assume it would be my ideal fit after breaking in. However, when it comes to a lined calf shoe/boot, I'm not sure if my ideal size would still be the same. So I wonder, given the same last and size, is there a difference between:

(a) lined and unlined;

(b) calf and shell;
    (c) shoe and boot; and
    (d) storm welt and flat welt?

I apologize for asking so many questions, but I'm really curious to know whether there is any general consensus on these issues. Thanks a lot!

4. ylku

ylku Well-Known Member

I have high arch and instep but not extremely. I am 7.5E on brannock. Most of my boots/shoe on barrie last are 7E size. They fit well.

One pair of LWB is 7.5D which is a little bit tight at instep and too narrow.

5. M635Guy

M635Guy Distinguished Member

I'm a borderline E on brannock and the short side of 12, and have a fairly high arch and instep. I'm a 11.5 D in barrie and they feel custom-made for my foot. I think the styling/design of this boot is pretty forgiving for higher arch/instep.

6. wdahab

wdahab Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

Whiskey commando wingtip boots on the 379x. For 14oz but via TSM seconds (and an eBay seller who at the end of the day sold them for only slightly above his cost).

7. Akeem

Akeem Distinguished Member

love this model. if only my flat feet didn't hate the last.

8. Akeem

Akeem Distinguished Member

I typically prefer flat welts, but in this instance I am leaning towards the storm welt. If only they were all eyelets..

9. xiaopigu

xiaopigu Active Member

Oh thanks!

That's just like me. I'm almost 7 and just barely an E.

:)

10. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior Member

I personally find Barrie a tad wider than my brannock measurement. As far as how to size down (width vs length) it depends on the foot. I personally have long, wide toes, so the best fit for me is the same size in length as Brannock, but down in width.

I think a good starting point would be half size down, D width.

Order from a place that accepts returns. Try not to crease them and stay on carpet and don't lace too tightly. You want to make sure that if you return a pair, they're in a condition you'd be happy receiving as new.

11. gilby

gilby Senior Member

Yes I agree with Thromb that the barrie is a versatile last that could work for both high and low insteps.
    My comments were geared more toward the Grant last having more volume in the instep than the Barrie
    in my experience. You may want to try a 4060 which is a grant last boot. I've tried and failed with 5 pairs
    on the Grant last until I accepted that it just has to much volume in the instep for my duck feet.

You will also get some size variation between shell and calf with shell generally running larger. You may want
    to try a grant boot from the Shoemart as they have an easy return policy.

12. Don L

Don L Distinguished Member

J. Gilbert Plaza Tanker
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. chipshot

chipshot Distinguished Member

[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
    These are beginning to lighten up now.

14. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Distinguished Member

(a) lined is definitely more snug (narrower) bc the fit is supposed to be a bit different no lining.
    (b) I swear my non-shell make-ups are slightly bigger/looser than my shell make-ups of the same last and model. (LWB)
    (c) should be the same but the J Crew PCT boot is slightly more snug than other shell boots on barrie that I own
    (d) I haven't noticed too big a difference

Some may say differently here, but that's my two cents...

15. Rstldr

Rstldr Senior Member

Alden X Leathersoul color 8 wingtip. Good Tuesday gents!
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.