The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

^^^ Looking good @prez. They are a highly underrated Alden Classic. I have a new pair I have yet to really use. Hope your Valentine's Night out was a great one!

2. Don L

Don L Senior member

Looks like J. Gilbert is formally out of the Alden game. All points to Yenni at B&M now.

3. bortalizer93

bortalizer93 Member

cross-posting from quick question thread, as i really need help on this one. please do inform me if i'm not supposed to post this here and i'll gladly delete it.

i've had this Alden LHS on colour #8 Shell Cordovan for quite some time now, and last week they got completely drenched under heavy rain.

as soon as i got home, i wiped them down with dry cloth, put shoe tree inside them, laid them sideways and let them dry naturally for a few days (no direct sunlight, no heat source).

the thing is, after i dried them they left this really unsightly water stain mark around the toe, a complete half-circle faded area right in the toe of my left pair.

[​IMG]

now, i'm a big fan of how shell cordovan patina over time, but that stain is just plain ridiculous.

before i realized the stain, i've tried conditioning them with saphir renovateur and due to my lack of information, i panicked and stripped down the conditioner again with saphir renomat, my logic being afraid of how the renovateur might make it harder for the upper to dry out completely.

after few more days and replacing the shoe tree with tissue paper, i checked back on the shoe and the stain is still there. i tried deliberately conditioning them again with the renovateur and brushing it with horsehair brush for a complete 10 minutes hoping for the damned stain to fade away.

it did not.

a few people has suggested that i should apply saphir creme cordovan in colour #8 to the upper to hide the stain but as i said before, i really appreciate the light, reddish hue my shoe has developed over time and would prefer not to go back to the dark eggplant-like colour of a brand new shell cordovan.

do any of you guys have an idea on how to make that stain go away?

i would be really grateful.

4. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:Interesting. I had heard Yenni was doing a makeup that used to be done over JGilbert. Before she said it couldn't be done. I wonder if they had any leftover stock or confirmed orders that still hadn't come in. However I imagine it was probably planned for a while.

5. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

@ironclad

That post should be added to the intro page...

Well my evolution was posting how dopey looking the Indy boot was...all off center and wacky non symmetrical moc toe stitching and all....

Now I have 7 indys

6. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Congrats, I concur with your assessment. I have put Toppy's on a few of my Aldens and have always been very happy with the result and felt much more relaxed when wearing them....

Looking good Don! Love your CT Boots de DC. They are getting a nice patina going on them.

Great photograph! Those boots look like they are getting ample love! Cool scenery!

Definitely an Alden classic and a great combo!

Sorry to hear and indeed those are developing a great patina!!! I do not think there is a magic trick to make it go away immediately. The mark will fade over time, wear, and brushings. A short term fix is to put a light coat of paste wax over them to help balance the color and wax on the surface. If you go light, it won't impact the patina much to at all.

-Mike

7. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

I PM'd you.

8. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Finishing up my 2016 family pictures... This time I will do the #2's and #4 and my Black (and Navy) Shell Cordovans.

Alden Color #2 and #4 Army.

[​IMG]

L to R: Alden Color #2 LWB, Alden Color #4 WT Boot, Alden Color #2 Unlined LHS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alden Black Shell Cordovan Army.

[​IMG]

L to R (Back): Alden Black Shell Tassel, Alden Black Shell CT Boot, Alden Black Shell Plaza Semi-Brogue Boot, Alden Black Shell Grant Indy Boot, Alden Black Shell Tassel.
    L to R (Front): Alden Black Shell Perf Tip Balmoral, Alden Black Shell Semi-Brogue Balmoral, Alden Black Shell Wingtip Balmoral, Alden Black Shell LWB, Alden Black Shell NST Bluchers, Alden Black Shell LHS, Alden Black Shell Full-Strap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Full Black and Navy Shell Army.

[​IMG]

L to R (Back): AE Navy Shell Tassel, AE Navy Shell CT Boot, Alden Black Shell CT Boot, Alden Black Shell Plaza Semi-Brogue Boot, Alden Black Shell Grant Indy Boot, Alden Black Shell Tassel, Alden Black Shell Tassel.
    L to R (Front): AE Black Shell Cap Toe Balmoral, Alden Black Shell Perf Tip Balmoral, Alden Black Shell Semi-Brogue Balmoral, Alden Black Shell Wingtip Balmoral, Alden Black Shell LWB, Alden Black Shell NST Bluchers, Alden Black Shell LHS, Alden Black Shell Full-Strap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Mike

9. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

Interesting. Might explain why I never got a response asking what they might have in stock in my size..

Also might explain the fairly poor shipping/packaging for these that came today.

[​IMG]

They were pressed into a box that was shallower than the alden box, causing the exterior "packaging" to bulge quite a bit.

10. JETTASY

JETTASY Well-Known Member

Hello,
    Today is Cigar LWB.
    I'ts dim, so photo is not well.

[​IMG]

11. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

I just cared for some huge water stains. process which I know the watchman also has posted about

Step 1: Wipe them down with plain ole water and let them air dry.
    Step 2: Brush with a horse hair brush. (2-3 min per shoe is sufficient.)
    Step 3: Apply a minuscule amount of the conditioner cream of your choice. Because Venetian Shoe Cream is the most available and cheapest, that is what we shall use for illustrative purposes.
    Step 4: Apply to the shoe and work it vigorously into the leather. Let them sit for 20 min. And them finish by brushing again for 2-3 min per shoe.

they do not look pristine a la shell from mdubs, but the huge water marks are gone. now they just look like well patina'd Americana

12. Mutombo

Mutombo Senior member

I just put a deposit down for the AF53 with antique welt/edge through AoC. I've always liked this model but the change to antique edging for the next run was too much to resist. :slayer:

13. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

14. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Senior member

Wearing mine right now on a rainy day. Wish they had antique though! I'm just letting it happen naturally with wear and tear, touching up with AE Chili to slowly antique it.

15. schmallo15

schmallo15 Senior member

Beautiful photo! And great patina on those boots too

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.