• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
27. Would rather be busted looking at real Appreciation than shoe Appreciation in public - check.
28. Wonder if MDubs owns a horse stable - check.
29. Wonder if DV gets his lawn fertilizer from MDubs horse stable - check.
So many of these I love. These three made me smile the most. Thanks for the thoughtful post @ironclad . I think my future pics/posts need to include some high end repp ties.
rotflmao.gif

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
After spending far too much time in this thread over the past 3 years, I've realized that I've come full circle and checked just about every single stereotypical box:

The most entertaining post I've read on this thread. Or the old thread for that matter. Well done @ironclad

ironclad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unlined Whiskey. From the horse stable.

-Mike
You got me, Mike! You got me.

So many of these I love. These three made me smile the most. Thanks for the thoughtful post @ironclad . I think my future pics/posts need to include some high end repp ties.
rotflmao.gif
Thanks RTP!

The most entertaining post I've read on this thread. Or the old thread for that matter. Well done @ironclad
Tif, I'm blushing. I've read some great stuff on this thread over the years. Most of the best witty stuff comes from you.

#26.....at least once a day!
26. Angle my phone screen away from people when viewing this forum in public - check.
I'm not alone then.

Ditto.

Epic post.
Thank Buda. So is it safe to say you don't live in in Hungary?

@ironclad wins today. Fantastic work.
Thanks DV.

Love it!
Also nice to know I still have quite some time before I reach this level. I mean, getting on a pre-order list from LeatherSoul... Me flying to the moon might happen sooner than that.
LS was a stretch for me. I got my foot in that door before the number of hardcore Alden buyers increased tenfold in recent years.

[/spoiler]

Well done! I'm somewhere around the upper 30's. "Miles to go before I sleep..."
Hope it was restful and the list didn't induce nightmares.

This made my day. Perfect.

And Yes, I am as happy as that guy in my profile pic (that's Louis Prima, by the way)...but only when I'm reading this thread, shining my Aldens, or unboxing a new pair (of course, only after the 1-in, 1-out policy has been adhered to. Cough, cough.
Excellent. You must be the living embodiment of that guy.

Perfect post! #26,#27. Too funny.
Thanks Rstldr!

Excellent, guys!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Right back at you.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Was an Epic post and very real. I've never seen anything in #4 Bigfoot size, doubt I ever will.

Steve
I was there was a bigfoot/sasquatch emoji.

@ironclad

41. Realize my rotation is too big and both promise to go on a one-in one-out policy - check.
42. Sell 1 pair of Aldens - check.
43. Immediately buy 3 more pair of Aldens - check.

This made my night LOL
Truth!

Fantastic love letter. I think far too many of us can easily relate to this!

-Mike
Thanks Dubsy! Hope your fingers are on the mend.

My Alden evolution-revolution:

Buy first pair of Alden shell unlined lhs at Brooks Brothers. Except that I didn't know what shell leather was, that Alden was the maufacturerer, or what Alden was
Buy classic shell tassel loafers for work, again from Brooks
Buy shell full-strap loafers from Brooks
Learn that Alden makes the shoes and has a restoration service. Perfect for my sensibilities: expensive shoes, but can be justified by having them last a long time
Have 3 or 4 pairs restored and they come back as good as new
Discover Alden of Carmel and that there are different lasts that fit differently (naif) and lots of shell styles and colors
Realize Plaza last is probably my favorite
First resale of slightly used, too big shoes. Who knew there was such a secondary market?
Find this forum
Start buying big: cigar, whiskey, dressy boots, Indy boots. From several online shops, especially Shoemart
Rediscover the wonders of suede, especially mocha kid suede
First chromexcel
30 pairs later...
Now in the how much is enough phase
Great story too. 30 pairs later...that is truly amazing.

od1017

Reaction score
Need some advice here - I want to replace the soles on my 990 to a plantation crepe sole. Who can do that well for a good price? I am in the New York area but am open to the option of shipping them elsewhere to get this done well and economically.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Need some advice here - I want to replace the soles on my 990 to a plantation crepe sole. Who can do that well for a good price? I am in the New York area but am open to the option of shipping them elsewhere to get this done well and economically.

B. Nelson in NYC will do this

Wesley Crusher

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Hope you're all having a nice long weekend.

I had my boots and LWBs topy'd the other week so I've been wearing them now without fear of wearing down the toe. I am happy with the results.

100 yrs

Reaction score
my version of @ironclad's list would include: "pay way, way to much to get a makeup from the foreign market."

I have modified last cap toe boot currently en route from Anatomica. the ordering process has been fun in a weird way. trying to triangulate the details of the makeup between emails from Anatomica and forum posts. two calls to the store, having to wait a few days to actually place my order until the "guy with the paypal password" gets back in town. now tracking shipment when I have no idea of the expected delivery date. good times.

prez

Reaction score

Color 8 perf cap toe bals on Hampton last.
Getting ready for Valentine's dinner last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads