The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J One

J One Senior member

What do you use to nurish your CXL to avoid darkening?

2. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

They have darkened a bit. I've used Alden boot cream a couple times, but mainly I just wipe down with a damp cloth and brush.

Here they are the day I bought them:
    [​IMG]

I like the patina/color they are developing. I'm especially glad the welt has darkened up a bit. I was tempted to do something myself, but leaving it alone to do its own thing was the right choice...

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  3. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

Deer bone is good for scuffs and dings, but not so much for creases. At least, not to lessen them. Sometimes creases get a sandy texture, and it helps to smooth that out.

4. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

These make me rethink my opinion of CLX. These look fabulous not to mention the nice Tan color. Cool

5. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

I just wanted to circle back to this, and the others who chimed in on narrow footed Aldens. Thank you all

I'm a TTS 9C and wear 9.5 in most sneakers. Brannock 9.5C but that IMO is pretty useless for assessing fit. On wide lasts I can sometime go 8.5US or 7,5UK.

Ends up a Barrie 8D is a perfect fit for me in a LWB. Just enough length, heel is solid, instep and midfoot well supported. I also tried on an 8.5D Barrie boot, and the fit was equally as nice, perfect midfoot and snug heel with a bit of extra toe room, which I can appreciate for heavier sock use.

Anyway thanks again gents. And big thanks to our local Alden retailer (Lost&Found). Cool as hell shop.

First of many Aldens I'm sure. Brown CXL, double leather.
    [​IMG]

6. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

You know, that is an interesting question. I do not know the answer to that. I would possibly imagine that that may have been the case at one point in time, otherwise it seems silly to mark both widths.

Both of your Natural Chromexcel shoes are looking superb. They have a nice golden color on them.

Interesting Canada, I am surprised that an 8D US is your perfect fit if you are a 9C TTS. Have you tried wearing more narrow widths like 8.5B or 8.5C or 9B? I did a similar thing where I wore 10D's when I first bought Aldens but found that 10.5B was my best fit. If at all possible, I highly recommend that you go to a shop that stocks a wide variety of widths, such as Alden SF, Alden Madison, or ShoeMart and see if you can possibly find your best fit... It *may* actually be 8D, but from what you have written, I believe that the 8D is a good fit and not your best fit...

-Mike

7. mdubs

Continuing along my family photos, we finally hit Color #8 today.

Alden King Army.

[​IMG]

L to R (boots): Alden Color #8 WT Boot (on Grant with Antique), Alden Color #8 Semi-Brogue Boot (on Plaza with Antique), Alden Color #8 Dr. Jones "Indy Boot (on Plaza), Alden Color #8 Cap Toe Boot, Alden Color #8 Naval Boot (on Barrie with Antique), Alden Color #8 Chukka Boot.
    L to R (shoes): Alden Color #8 LWBs, Alden Color #8 Wingtip Balmoral (with exposed eyelets on M-75 Last), Alden Color #8 Wingtip Balmoral, Alden Color #8 NST Blucher (on Plaza), Alden Color #8 Full-Strap Loafer, Alden Color #8 Tassel Loafer, Alden Color #8 Perforated Tip Balmoral, Alden Color #8 x Black Calf Grain Saddle Shoe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Mike

8. mdubs

Leisure Sunday. Super Bowl and Lunar New Years Eve Edition.
    Unlined Color #2 Shell Cordovan.
    CHUP Litir Socks.
    Gustin Tan Selvedge Chinos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Mike

9. mdubs

The Alden Wingtip Boot is an absolutely glorious thing to behold. Many other makers make Wingtip Boots, but no one gets the proportions down as perfectly as Alden does. This Cigar Wingtip Boot made by Alden Madison has every feature that anyone could want in a Wingtip Boot; exotic Cigar Shell Cordovan, beautiful antique edges, Alden’s custom Commando Sole, and Speed Hooks. This boot is made around the famous Alden Barrie Last and has a nice hefty quality to them. I am very fortunate and excited to get a pair made on their latest run.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More pictures.
    http://aldenofsandiego.com/alden-cigar-wingtip-boots/

-Mike

10. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

There is a real good chance you are right.
    I would guess 8.5 B or C might be my ideal size.
    I will be in NYC in a couple months and will see if I can find out.
    But I was pretty impressed with the 8D in terms of comfort, support and heel fit. More than enough to buy and try. I suppose time will tell.

11. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

Leisure Sunday. Super Bowl and Lunar New Years Eve Edition. Unlined Color #2 Shell Cordovan. CHUP Litir Socks. Gustin Tan Selvedge Chinos. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [COLOR=A74345][​IMG] [/COLOR] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    -Mike Wowser.. Watching the Phx Open, had to quote Miller.

12. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Mike - those Cigar WTB's are amazing. I've got to get there one of these days...

13. StrangeJeremy

StrangeJeremy Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Commando it is!

I'll post in here and in the pre-order forum when we open up ordering later in Feb. Makeups are going to be a full black-out indy on commando with no speedhooks, and reverse tobacco chamois PTB, barrie last, commando sole.

14. mdubs

That's a good decision Jeremy, but I am biased and live in a climate not requiring the Crepe.

-Mike

15. TO Tie Guy

TO Tie Guy Senior member

While that boot that Mike posted is definitely a beauty and a very special boot, my #1 is still @NAMOR Cigar WTB on Plaza. One day he will sell them to me and I will rejoice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.