The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

I took so much time deer boning and brushing out creases on a few pairs, as soon as you take your first steps they are going to crease exactly how they were before. I gave up and just embrace the creases as they come now, just buffing and brushing quickly before and after wear (along with a damp cloth wipe down). Some pairs of mine show almost no creasing at all, some have beautiful roll creases and some have ugly creases. It's the luck of the draw based on the individual leather, last, and fit.

"Patina trumps pristine" as I read in someones signature haha.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  2. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

^ I think those look great and how shell cordovan is naturally going to look.

3. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Thanks, I agree. One of my fav models across all makers and they are aging very nicely. I recently conditioned them with a Lexol/VSC combo so they are showing some heavy whitish bloom in the creases, more so than normal today. They feel well conditioned and supple though.

4. tricky

tricky Senior member

Awesome perspectives from all of you. Perhaps I'll forget about the deer bone.

(but still not ready to get my watches scuffed up ;))

5. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

The deer bone is nice to have on hand to help smooth out any small scuffs, but you could always use the back of a spoon combined with a little VSC in a pinch.

6. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Couldn't agree more on the watches! As for the shell, doesn't hurt to have the deer bone if you want to give it a try - I know it works for many and I'm not saying my personal view is the best here. Also, if I remember correctly, even though you have a ridiculous wardrobe from what I've seen you're just getting into shell? If so, I can understand wanting to keep up the condition of your pair or two as opposed to somebody with 5, 10, 15, 20+ pairs (though some are admirably able to keep far more pairs in pristine condition, I don't know how). I got more relaxed as I got a deeper rotation.

7. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

the first scratch on my shoes or watch feels like somebody kicked me in my nutsack. after that, it worsens heartburn for a while. and then you have patina and everything is glorious.

8. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

We need some pics of your 635.

9. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Ha. I brush for about 5 minutes per shoe and about 15 minutes total care per pair. But I like my shoes looking crisp when I put them on personally.

I don't have a narrow heel issue personally. I just wish Alden carried the Grant Last in B widths. I can give him a very good reference who knows the heel width problem better than almost anyone.

Your Leffot Color 8's are looking good but they do miss their hair! I believe getting any dirt out of the creases is important for their longevity.

-Mike

10. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Yeah - I actually dropped something on my WTB's in January, and it made me sick. It put a cut/dent in the leather. I put a little color cream polish in it, burnished it with the back of a spoon and now it is character.

It is a Euro M635. :)

[​IMG]
    (it has some patina on it, too, but it's *nice* patina)

11. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

They were all buffed and brushed when I left the house this morning, I always brush before and after wearing. This pair really loves to crease up though.

12. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Is that pre-wear or your maintenance ritual? For maintenane, I've heard wipe CXL with a slightly damp cloth and brush is the thing (similar to shell).

I probably can't do 15 minutes in the morning...

13. tricky

tricky Senior member

Yeah I've never been a huge shell fan but recently been adding to it and appreciating it.

So far Alden #8 Alt Wiens for EP, Trickers boots, Carmina Ruby Balmoral for EP and #8 Tanker from AOM (these are not yet arrived). So...still early shell days compared to this thread but I'm enjoying them.

14. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

15. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

This is one photogenic pair of boots! The hand stitching is a joy to look at and photograph. I couldn't help but snap a few more with the late afternoon light.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.