• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tanker Tuesday

Black is the new ravello.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Couple thoughts:

1) As folks in the business of making shoes, they simply may prefer that their shoes get worn then stored away. Purely a preference, lots of folks who make things for a living derive pleasure from seeing those things actually used.

2) From a business POV, they may prefer that their shoes get worn so they need to get replaced faster (or resoled)

3) They may prefer that they / their retailers make all the money in the value chain, rather than the folks who sell for $1,200 on ebay
This isn't directed at you and meant solely in jest (well but just slightly seriously) but sometimes I think we think a lot more about Alden than the people at Alden think about Alden, and sometimes it can approach an SNL Bears Superfans level of speculation. In a fight between Color 4 wing tips and ravello tankers, who wins? (Answer: Ditka)

Really I just don't think Alden thinks that much about most of this.

Last edited:

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This isn't directed at you and meant solely in just (well but just slightly seriously) but sometimes I think we think a lot more about Alden than the people at Alden think about Alden, and sometimes it can approach an SNL Bears Superfans level of speculation. In a fight between Color 4 wing tips and ravello tankers, who wins?

(Answer: Ditka)

right. and the simplest answer may simply be that 50 pairs flipped on eBay per year isn't something that's going to raise flags for them / be something they even care about

circleslife

Reaction score
PSA: Alden irregulars just landed. Nothing exotic in 9 or 9.5. Not much in other shells either.

RobinM

Reaction score
.... I think we think a lot more about Alden than the people at Alden think about Alden...
I always have the same thought whenever I see somebody asking for opinions about the "defects" on brand new Alden shoes.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw a dude near my office yesterday wearing Indys. I almost said something to him - but then I thought - he may just a be normal guy (unlike us addicts) who has 1 pair of boots in his closet and they just happen to be Indys because he had some gift cards from J. Crew.

He may think a stranger approaching him on the street to comment about his boots is quite odd, or maybe he'd think I'm hitting on him. Either way, I didn't wanna be that guy, so I just admired the boots and walked on, thinking, I really do think about shoes wayyyyyy too much.

:sarcasm:

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

weird, I didn't see it on the list I got..have a pic?

I didn't see it either! I did however see the 4060 on 11.5D.... although, they're probably gone by now

Was def. just the 12D. If it had been the 11.5 I would have been calling. But I figured with the DC cigar captoe it'd be to close for now. I was talking myself into thicker socks for the B&M 12D though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads