• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

people don't like the practice of Alden's being flipped, nor do they like Alden raising prices. hrrrm ;)

seriously, IMO, they should just hike the price of Cigar 30%, Ravello and Whiskey 75%, and any other rare colors like #4 and #2 150%. price the rare things (in Alden world, anyways, Cigar is not rare for anyone else) to meet demand.

Nike employed a similar practice. Once they determined that resellers were just flipping models they wised and decided "why shouldn't we get that money?". Nest thing you know $220 jordans.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Numero Ocho.

-Mike

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
price Ravello at $1,300 (or $1,400, or whatever it takes) and people stop flipping and probably some hoarding goes down as well. people will be much less likely to buy them and stash in a closet.
Why does Alden care if customers buy their shoes and stash them in a closet? The sale is made, they are paid. Not like Alden only gets paid once the shoes get worn.

Only people who want Ravello and can't find it care if people stash Ravello in their closet. Not Alden.

Edit: Before I get beat up on...My response would have been the same whether or not I may or may not have one pair of unworn Ravello in my closet. Geez! Get off my back, @JSO1 @mdubs @rydenfan @BenLeaman
crackup[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

Last edited:

what whale

Reaction score
Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this but I figured I'd give a fellow Alden enthusiast a head's up before the broader Internet.

I'm on a preorder for Alden of Carmel's color 8 LWB on commando with antique edges, size 10.5D Barrie last. The shoes are set to arrive next month. I paid a small deposit (like $250) & am having second thoughts. Anyone interested in taking the spot? If not I'll purchase the shoes, reevaluate, and if not for me put up in the sale section. Thanks much.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this but I figured I'd give a fellow Alden enthusiast a head's up before the broader Internet.

I'm on a preorder for Alden of Carmel's color 8 LWB on commando with antique edges, size 10.5D Barrie last. The shoes are set to arrive next month. I paid a small deposit (like $250) & am having second thoughts. Anyone interested in taking the spot? If not I'll purchase the shoes, reevaluate, and if not for me put up in the sale section. Thanks much.
Technically this is the wrong place, yes.

You can put the sale of the "spot" in the sale section. You may get more traffic.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why does Alden care if customers buy their shoes and stash them in a closet? The sale is made, they are paid. Not like Alden only gets paid once the shoes get worn.

Couple thoughts:

1) As folks in the business of making shoes, they simply may prefer that their shoes get worn then stored away. Purely a preference, lots of folks who make things for a living derive pleasure from seeing those things actually used.

2) From a business POV, they may prefer that their shoes get worn so they need to get replaced faster (or resoled)

3) They may prefer that they / their retailers make all the money in the value chain, rather than the folks who sell for $1,200 on ebay

Last edited:

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cigar chukkas on a Tuesdayyy

Looking good!

Only people who want Ravello and can't find it care if people stash Ravello in their closet. Not Alden.

Edit: Before I get beat up on...My response would have been the same whether or not I may or may not have one pair of unworn Ravello in my closet. Geez! Get off my back, @JSO1 @mdubs @rydenfan @BenLeaman
crackup%5B1%5D.gif
lol8%5B1%5D.gif

I agree with you - absolutely no incentive for Alden (or retailers) to care or do anything about people hoarding their Aldens. I think that's very different from the whole "buy-and-flip" issue. And I don't think your response would have been different if you didn't have those Ravello NSTs gathering dust...

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Couple thoughts:

1) As folks in the business of making shoes, they simply may prefer that their shoes get worn then stored away. Purely a preference, lots of folks who make things for a living derive pleasure from seeing those things actually used.

2) From a business POV, they may prefer that their shoes get worn so they need to get replaced faster (or resoled)

3) They may prefer that they / their retailers make all the money in the value chain, rather than the folks who sell for $1,200 on ebay
1) Somewhat agree
2) Strongly agree
3) Agree. I didn't mention anything about flipping, though. My pair is still in my closet cause they are too pretty to crease. Not because I plan to sell them for a profit later.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) Somewhat agree
2) Strongly agree
3) Agree. I didn't mention anything about flipping, though. My pair is still in my closet cause they are too pretty to crease. Not because I plan to sell them for a profit later.

Alden is certainly amused by their newfound popularity but seems to be doing very little to capitalize on it. Quite the enigmatic company.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads