The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alpina

Alpina Senior member

2. Matty123

Matty123 Senior member

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016

3. 91foxbody

91foxbody Well-Known Member

Leffot emailed me last night to let me know that my alpine grain wingtip boots are in. Hopefully they will ship today, and I will receive them early next week! They will be my first Alden boot, and I'm very excited.

Side note, I'm selling my 10D 975's on the classifieds here and eBay. Make me an offer I can't refuse!

4. Alpina

Alpina Senior member

Also inspired by @Mghart 's amazing boots, I spent some time cleaning up my 2014 Naval Boots:
    [​IMG]

Put some shine on my new Plaza derbies (first black shell). I solicited advice a few days ago about the suitability of wearing this shoe with a tux. Thanks for your replies. Because I'm not a big oxford fan, I went against the grain a bit and got what I liked. As is usually the case, looking around at what other gents are wearing, I have nothing to worry about. I put them on and kicked up my heels for a moment before I took the first step, and for just a brief moment, I felt like MM. @mdubs
    [​IMG]
    And I noticed the color change on the tongue of my Leffot Dovers. It's subtle, but you can clearly see the area that's been exposed to light is much browner than the original purple-y color.
    [​IMG]

5. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

I doubt that anyone - including the seller, really likes the practice of flipping shoes

If you believe in peak Alden, maybe its time to get long color 4, lol

Someone mentioned this last week or a couple of weeks, and it gets brought up repeatedly everytime someone puts a seemingly outrageous sale price on eBay, that is the nature of long lead times, delays, waitlist, my color 8 is not color 8 enough or is too color 8 etc and the ever popular resale market, makes the practice of shoot first and think later, appealing and necessary if you are trying to build a "collection" of what you "think" ultimately want. I just got my Epaulet Alt Wiens, I nearly forgot I had put a deposit down because it was almost 2 years ago, and while they look awesome, Im not nearly as excited for them today as I was 2 years ago and Im torn whether to keep them because I dont know how much use they will get but I want to hang on to them because its 2 years in the making.

Yeah its gross to see someone get in on a "rare" run and then turn around and sell it but I dont think that happens as often as it may seem. If someone offered me $5k for a pair of color 4 boots, I'd hand deliver them in the tri-state area today.

While not Alden, I have been trying to sell a pair of Viberg boots for a month, they are in every way perfect and new. I thought I really wanted theses things, bought them within 5min of the release, they are pretty much sold out and rare (not as rare as color 4) but something that I thought would easily resell after I missed the return window. Im now offering them 10% off ex. shipping. I would have returned them but I got busy doing life. Am I flipper? By some definitions, I am, but for a negative scalp - but nobody's is upset Im out $100 lol. I get that with some things like rare Alden shell its more obvious that you might get more than what you paid but its just the nature of the beast.

From time to time there is an egregious actor, and I would agree buying off the 2nds list to resell immediately looks and is ugly but for the most part its still just people rationalizing conspicuous consumption.

I've sold many different things(from gym equipment to clothes) on eBay and other B&S type sites and I used to be a big fan but in the last couple of years anytime I sell an Alden it has been an absolute nightmare. The volume of tire kickers, and bizarre fetishized behavior is something I have never experienced across a range of items, and Ive never had so many people back out, never pay, tell me they no longer want it 5min after choosing BIN. Its mentally exhausting, a total waste of time and definitely makes the notion of flipping comical as a profitable endeavor unless you have nothing but time on your hands and you like dealing with the above.

Little bit of a rant - Ill do my best not to broach this subject again.

6. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

:uhoh: sounds weird and gross

7. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

Hahaha, it is but not how you may be thinking. I probably could have left it at bizarre, but there is certainly something unique to it that I cant quite put my finger on ;)

8. gilby

gilby Senior member

9. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

10. gilby

gilby Senior member

I'd convinced myself that I didn't need to chase down any ravello. I was doing fine with color 8, cigar and black shell.
    You have shown me the error of my ways. These have jumped to the top of my must haves. Damn you sir!

11. postal007

postal007 Senior member

Sweet, looks like you're enjoying them! ;)

12. hkp2k

hkp2k Active Member

My new 979's came in from Alden yesterday, and I am happy with the quality of these, so I started wearing them around the house last night to begin the break-in process.

I really need these shoes to be work horses, so I would line to have Vibram topys installed. There doesn't seem to be any stellar cobblers here in Wichita, so I am thinking about sending them to Brian Nelson, but I think that shipping will be as much as the job itself (~$20 each way).

I have read that some cobblers recommend wearing shoes for a few days before installing topys - for those of you who use them, is this standard practice or do you have them installed when brand new?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

13. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Oh, am I ever. Such great color on this pair!

Ravello is a fantastic color. There's a decent amount of color variation across batches, with some shades (like this one) just looking amazing.

14. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

topy is a very simple job, I wouldn't worry about having it done by a top tier cobbler

15. TO Tie Guy

TO Tie Guy Senior member

Those colour 4's sure are beautiful. If they were no reserve I could see them going for $3000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.