• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Indy Appreciation Thread

McQ7

Reaction score
First wear of my newly acquired 405 calf boots in brown. I think these are from 2010. They're the classic, much truer brown color than the current tan 405 ones that I have. I also noticed the interior heel construction is different. On the older ones there's a dark brown heel cup liner in addition to the light brown lining, as well as a dark brown stripe of lining running up the back of the boot, covering the rear seam. Also, the vamp lining on the older boot appears to be almost white, and different in texture than the light brown lining throughout the newer 405 boot. Some interesting differences.

Since there's a nice event coming up for which I plan to wear these, I gave them some Meltonian cordovan cream followed by Lincoln marine cordovan wax. They come off slightly darker in person.
Original listing pic:
Alden 405 original listing pic rs.jpg
Today's wear pics:

True to life color pic:
Alden 405 true color.jpg

Last edited:

Dugafola

Reaction score
going back to mali west africa next week. debating on which boots to bring over. brown 405s or my natty innsbrucks with commando. the brown 405s fit like a glove are heavier and therefore will be warmer. the natty innsbrucks fit a lit looser (same size for both pairs), are lighter and the commando sole will let them breath a little better.

day time highs will be in the mid 90s. lows in low 60s.

leaning towards the innsbrucks because of weight and not as warm. soles have some life left but this trip may be the last romp for them. i'd consider resoling with neoprene when i get back.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd personally go with the Innsbrucks if there's any weather in Mali.

Sounds like a cool place to wear 'em!

rusticchasm

Reaction score
Where do your toes hit? Mine are hitting about 0.5" below the stitching... wondering if I should keep sizing down...

American_Psycho11

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me why Aldens are so prone to loose grain? I don't think I've seen another boot besides the Wolverine 1000k that gets it as often. What is it about Alden that makes them so bad with their CXL clicking?
I really want a pair of Indys, but if I do it will definitely be in calfskin, as I just can't trust Alden to click good CXL

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me why Aldens are so prone to loose grain? I don't think I've seen another boot besides the Wolverine 1000k that gets it as often. What is it about Alden that makes them so bad with their CXL clicking?
I really want a pair of Indys, but if I do it will definitely be in calfskin, as I just can't trust Alden to click good CXL
Most people are incorrectly calling grain creasing "loose grain", and Alden does a good job avoiding loose grain. Grain creasing is pretty much inherent to CXL, and is harder to avoid in clicking. Frankly most of the work-boot styles look better with it to me - my pair higher up on this page were fantastic IMHO.

Alden does a far better job than Wolverine or any of the more retail-tier makers for actual loose grain.

That said, if you don't like grain, CXL isn't your leather choice. Grain happens.

Dugafola

Reaction score
sent my natural CXL Innsbrucks to brian the bootmaker for a new soles. the existing commandos were falling apart after my romp through west africa earlier this year. i got a little analysis paralysis with all the options for the resole....in the end i opted for a cord half soles with a natural edge finish. my natural CXL has darkened up a good amount...the natural edge will hopefully make it pop for a while.

Tweedboy

Reaction score
Here are my 403s with about 8yrs wear. Wore them a lot to begin with, then less for a while. Got them totally refurbished by the Shoe Healer and they are back to the top of my pile. The put on a leather and two part rubber sole and changed out the metal ware as well.

Attachments

• 96F15F0A-72A6-4A3E-BA66-722B3BF586EE.jpeg
    96F15F0A-72A6-4A3E-BA66-722B3BF586EE.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 258
  • E94BA8B5-9C1F-4016-AE8C-A150FA8B0DF8.jpeg
    E94BA8B5-9C1F-4016-AE8C-A150FA8B0DF8.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 351

Tweedboy

Reaction score
Here they are today after a bit of wear put back into them

Attachments

• F65D4571-9053-4ACC-818D-E74EBACB792D.jpeg
    F65D4571-9053-4ACC-818D-E74EBACB792D.jpeg
    212 KB · Views: 361

Dugafola

Reaction score
forgive me the question if it's common knowledge....but is there a place where i can buy the the foot balance heel? or can a cobbler source them fairly easily? i'd rather take em to my local cobbler then send back to Alden.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads