• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Indy Appreciation Thread

Carson

Reaction score
Exotic shell cordovan is how the Official Alden Thread rolls, so I thought the Indy Boot - in all of its incarnations - deserved its own thread (not that we wouldn't appreciate a shot of an exotic shell Indy boot, of course).

Also, I really like the Trubalance last. It fits my foot nearly perfectly, and I find it very comfortable and supportive when I am on my feet all day long. Some people complain that the Trubalance is "blobby" - in other words, not sleek and refined - but who cares? Not everyone wears a suit and works in an sophisticated urban environment where sleek lasts are appreciated and appropriate.

Oddly, walking through the Financial District in San Francisco regularly, my shined up Indy boots are nicer than probably 95% of the shoes I see people wearing, which is frankly shocking. Cheap, square-toed monstrosities are still the norm.

But I digress…

In this thread we celebrate the Indy Boot. Feel free to post photos, ask questions, whatever . Where do you wear your Indy's? How do you care - or not care - for them?

Have any epic stories about you in your Indy's worthy of Dr. Jones himself?

Here's my current collection…

1. Basic 403. I just sent mine to boot-maker Brian Truong in Los Angeles this morning to install brass eyes + hooks, to make up for the fact that i was stupid enough to sell my Alden x Epaulet Innsbruck Indy's. I brush my CXL a lot, as I prefer it shined up and I am not really into trashing it. Rough wear is reserved for my 405.

2. The original 405. I am curious to see how the leather patinas and wears-in on these, since the waxy cow hide is very different from CXL. Right now I've thrown a few coats of Saphir medium brown cream (after using some reno) to play with the color a bit. Also, I inevitably change up the shoe laces to black waxy on all my Indy's. I like these because I don't feel like I have to baby them.

3. Natty CXL - a brand new acquisition from Alden of SF. I've dropped too much money there in the last
year but their team is always fun to hang out with. I don't plan to put anything on these except, maybe once a
year or two, some Saphir Greasy for CXL. Just brushing. Don't want to darken the natty….

4. As you can imagine, a cigar shell Indy has always been a "grail" boot for me, so when fellow boot aficionado Inn8chiro put one up on Ebay, I jumped on it, though it cost me a pretty penny...

One boot I regret flipping was a Shoe Mart special make up in smooth tobacco chamois on a commando….this was a great boot and I should have kept it!

Finally, I have a pair of color 8 shell NST Tankers, which are basically Indy boots on Trubalance with the unique hand-sewn toe. Right now they are at Randy Lucas' getting the edging antiqued and brass eyelets installed:

So, that's my collection. I love the Indy, and wear them often for casual or dress-casual, and often hiking Marin or the East Bay hills, though I'd probably get a White's special make up if I was heading into the Amazon...

Last edited:

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome.
I have 2 tb lasted indys.

cigar x epaulet

whiskey x aom

Last edited:

gr789

Reaction score

Never liked the contrast stitching, but being a big fan of Alden, I found Indy models that had more subtle stitching! Black calf, commando sole, Alden of Carmel.

Carson

Reaction score

Never liked the contrast stitching, but being a big fan of Alden, I found Indy models that had more subtle stitching! Black calf, commando sole, Alden of Carmel.
Looking good. I've been looking at the model for a long time. One day, when it's time to get a black boot (maybe in the autumn), that might make my short list! I like the commandos on the AoC models...

Last edited:

gr789

Reaction score
Carson, should you buy the AoC black Indy, you won't regret it, the commando and the all black gives it a subtle, relatively versatile look!

Also the Church Hill from Need Supply is pretty "sleek" (in relative terms for Alden Indy) and the leather sole is a plus for me! Actually, after thinking about it, I've never used the Church Hill so maybe I shouldn't be so quick to praise the double leather sole on them...

mp94

Reaction score
Looking to pick up a pair of 405's. I currently wear a 10.5 D on the barrie (both cordovan) and have an offer to buy a Trubalance in an 11 D. Would these fit?

gr789

Reaction score
Looking to pick up a pair of 405's. I currently wear a 10.5 D on the barrie (both cordovan) and have an offer to buy a Trubalance in an 11 D. Would these fit?
Trying to be helpful - I wear the same size in in shell cordovan Barrie boots and Indy Trubalance boots. I find the Trubalance a little more roomy. So I personally would not buy a Trubalance boot 1/2 size larger than my Barrie. YMMV.

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Wish the Indys were readily available in a narrower last like Barrie or Plaza. I have the 403 and the LS Ultimate Indy in Kudu. I'll post pics shortly.

The Barrie is not much narrower than the Trubalance. The Indy pattern is occasionally found on other lasts. Frans Boone does the Plaza Indy or "Dr. Jones" in Black Shell, Color 8 and occasionally Ravello and DC does the Grant Last Indy or the "Joseph Boot" in Black Shell and Color 8.

-Mike

Carson

Reaction score
It's doubtful… the J Crew 405 or the original 405?

Carson

Reaction score
Wish the Indys were readily available in a narrower last like Barrie or Plaza. I have the 403 and the LS Ultimate Indy in Kudu. I'll post pics shortly.
I've thought about those kudu UI's…love to see pics

Carson

Reaction score
I would like to find one of these:
leather soul. snuff on commando.

unionmade. snuff on brick
I saw snuff suede Indy's at Alden SF last week…probably on TB…very nice…don't know what sole they are on...
I have yet to take the plunge with Alden suede. Snuff is my favorite color

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads