• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Indy Appreciation Thread

SSingh1975

Reaction score
For whatever reason, my 405 took over a month to break in but now super comfortable. I replaced the #$%^ laces with RW taslan laces. Also minked oil for winter which darkened up the color but I like it.
20211223_130107.jpg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For whatever reason, my 405 took over a month to break in but now super comfortable. I replaced the #$%^ laces with RW taslan laces. Also minked oil for winter which darkened up the color but I like it.
View attachment 1725642
Mink oil will darken leather as will Neatsfoot oil. The Indy's look great.

DG123

Reaction score
View attachment 1725642

To me the Indy boot is a dressy work boot and I think that is one reason it is such a popular, iconic model of footwear. The stock Alden laces are high quality and in keeping with the dressy style. Your new laces give the boot a traditional work boot appearance, which is fine.

marinemustang

Reaction score

Taco Belly

Reaction score
Just read through this entire thread and saw your question. I have purged all of my socks and transitioned exclusively to merino wool socks, year round. My favorite are Darn Tough. They have different thicknesses, cushions and styles. All come with a lifetime guarantee! And they are made in USA.
I also wear SmartWool too.
Same here...switched all of my socks to Darn Tough...can't speak highly enough!

Jsh1990

Reaction score

1030,q75.jpg

I love the brass lace hooks, chromexcel, commando soles that make this look rugged yet polished. Sadly, the site have told me they are out of stock in size 7.5D and won't be restocking in the future.

Does anyone know where to get them or custom make them?

DG123

Reaction score

View attachment 1861238

I love the brass lace hooks, chromexcel, commando soles that make this look rugged yet polished. Sadly, the site have told me they are out of stock in size 7.5D and won't be restocking in the future.

Does anyone know where to get them or custom make them?

The Alden commando sole has a rubber patch at the forefoot and a rubber heel.
Those in ypur photo are lug soles (full rubber outslole). That pair is a make up order so to get the same specs an Alden dealer will need to order a run (24 pairs?) of same.
Alden does offer a stock model #404 Indy boot, which has the full rubber lug sole. The 404 is of kudu leather (oiled chromexcel) and that model is essentially colored all brown.

Last edited:

Frankie Fuzz

Reaction score
Does anyone know where to get shorter laces that are the same style and color as the Alden 405 dark brown laces? I’ve found waxed laces of shorter lengths on Amazon, as well as non-waxed, but all the non-waxed are a khaki color rather than the same dark brown as the original.

Soundchasr

Reaction score
Hi all. Just joined the group and got my first pair of Indy boots. Question about whether they look OK. See how the side bulges out on the inside of the right boot? There's a lot of room in there. Is that a defect or just normal variation? Thanks!

Attachments

• indy1.jpg
    indy1.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 129
  • indy3.jpg
    indy3.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 224

marinemustang

Reaction score
Same here...switched all of my socks to Darn Tough...can't speak highly enough!
Has anyone tried a pair of Covert Threads? I've been wearing these socks exclusively for 5+ years and find they offer amazing durability, comfort and support. Also, it's a Veteran operated business! I am a Veteran but zero personal affiliation with the business. Just a fan!

DG123

Reaction score
Hi all. Just joined the group and got my first pair of Indy boots. Question about whether they look OK. See how the side bulges out on the inside of the right boot? There's a lot of room in there. Is that a defect or just normal variation? Thanks!

That size width is too wide a width for you.
How is the length ? If it's at all short go up a .5 size in length and down one width more narrow.
Also, instead of the CXL model 403 you will find that the calf model 405 upper is a bit more sturdy.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads