• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Indy Appreciation Thread

ecworks

Reaction score
First day trip into the bush wearing my formerly new Indy boots. Moremi game preserve which we pretty much had to ourselves.

sightings:
fairly fresh baby giraffe carcass
giraffes
lioness with her cub and sister
Cape Buffalo
hot water station with elephant repellent spikes
and a tremendous amount of elephant dung

405’s got some scuffs and scrapes but holding up great

Attachments

• 200B03AF-3F9A-42EC-A0F8-61C521D96B93.jpeg
    200B03AF-3F9A-42EC-A0F8-61C521D96B93.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 60
  • C3CE9A63-7995-46BF-9A10-98DE7CCF03AD.jpeg
    C3CE9A63-7995-46BF-9A10-98DE7CCF03AD.jpeg
    423.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 6F123973-74D0-4D07-9858-8141612C9FB4.jpeg
    6F123973-74D0-4D07-9858-8141612C9FB4.jpeg
    325 KB · Views: 57
  • 5B0B8012-07ED-4340-9DCC-9DBE27C67C9C.jpeg
    5B0B8012-07ED-4340-9DCC-9DBE27C67C9C.jpeg
    439.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 0258B5DC-1784-4008-8CA8-6E7795BD964A.jpeg
    0258B5DC-1784-4008-8CA8-6E7795BD964A.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 64
  • FB4BFBE5-FA47-4D41-9C9F-01FA6CA575A5.jpeg
    FB4BFBE5-FA47-4D41-9C9F-01FA6CA575A5.jpeg
    358.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 6BDDAA68-760F-4BCF-8752-09280E6F1882.jpeg
    6BDDAA68-760F-4BCF-8752-09280E6F1882.jpeg
    296.1 KB · Views: 124
  • 840A8A09-C867-481F-80D4-A1080C0C5079.jpeg
    840A8A09-C867-481F-80D4-A1080C0C5079.jpeg
    195.6 KB · Views: 159
  • C571CE4B-1F6A-4A29-AD3B-35294D31E7CE.jpeg
    C571CE4B-1F6A-4A29-AD3B-35294D31E7CE.jpeg
    450.9 KB · Views: 165

ecworks

Reaction score
Just got back from 5 days in the bush, taking my new Indy 405's for a serious workout in some pretty rough terrain. We headed up to Khwai in the northern boundary of the Moremi game reserve. And yes, there is a bridge over the river Khwai.
The Indys picked up some pretty good Botswana patina including some black tar of some sort (any advice on removing it would be appreciated). When this adventure is over I'll give the Indys some well deserved TLC. In the mean time I just gave them the once over with a damp microfiber cloth and back out into the bush.

Saw just about everything in this beautiful area, including honey badger, wild cat, mongoose, Kudu, Water Buck, Dik, Dik, elephants everywhere, water buffalo, hippos, endless giant termite mounds, and a very large elephant going thru our campsite at 11pm snacking on the trees around our camp. Also, brought the Seiko Turtle along for the experience. Pics below. Came back into Maun today, repacked, refueled and heading out to Savuti early tomorrow. This time camping in a tent on the ground.

IMG-1400.JPG
IMG-1399.JPG
IMG-1343.jpg
IMG-1345.jpg
IMG-1347.jpg
IMG-1348.jpg
IMG-1340.jpg
IMG-1396.JPG

Attachments

• pic6.jpg
    pic6.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

Drzdave58

Reaction score
First day trip into the bush wearing my formerly new Indy boots. Moremi game preserve which we pretty much had to ourselves.

sightings:
fairly fresh baby giraffe carcass
giraffes
lioness with her cub and sister
Cape Buffalo
hot water station with elephant repellent spikes
and a tremendous amount of elephant dung

405’s got some scuffs and scrapes but holding up great
Show us some Kudu!

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got back from 5 days in the bush, taking my new Indy 405's for a serious workout in some pretty rough terrain. We headed up to Khwai in the northern boundary of the Moremi game reserve. And yes, there is a bridge over the river Khwai.
The Indys picked up some pretty good Botswana patina including some black tar of some sort (any advice on removing it would be appreciated). When this adventure is over I'll give the Indys some well deserved TLC. In the mean time I just gave them the once over with a damp microfiber cloth and back out into the bush.

Saw just about everything in this beautiful area, including honey badger, wild cat, mongoose, Kudu, Water Buck, Dik, Dik, elephants everywhere, water buffalo, hippos, endless giant termite mounds, and a very large elephant going thru our campsite at 11pm snacking on the trees around our camp. Also, brought the Seiko Turtle along for the experience. Pics below. Came back into Maun today, repacked, refueled and heading out to Savuti early tomorrow. This time camping in a tent on the ground.

View attachment 1652161 View attachment 1652162 View attachment 1652164 View attachment 1652165 View attachment 1652166 View attachment 1652171 View attachment 1652172 View attachment 1652173

Awesome. I think the best cleaner that won't damage your shoes is by Saphir. RenoMat is their top cleaner. It's not for regular use because it can dry leather if used too often. It won't strip the original finish, but might remove the tar stains. I use Renovateur, which is both a cleaner and moisturizer and for more standard cleaning. If those don't work embrace the patina, it's got a great story attached to it.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1652161 View attachment 1652162 View attachment 1652164 View attachment 1652165 View attachment 1652166 View attachment 1652171 View attachment 1652172 View attachment 1652173
Awesome, Honey Badgers are one of the toughest animals on the planet, you are lucky to have seen some.

ecworks

Reaction score
Bad news, about 1 1/2 hours out of Maun, on the way to Savuti we discovered a split seam on the rear of the exhaust manifold (70 series Land Cruiser), how we knew? The Land Cruiser suddenly started sounding like a very old Allis Chalmers tractor.
Had to turn around and limp back into Maun and we have a local Toyota repair shop attempting to weld/repair the exhaust manifold so hopefully we can head out first thing tomorrow morning for Savuti. Out here when it comes to your vehicle you always have to err on the side of caution, especially if you are heading out to a very remote area.

Update:
Toyota shop in town (Maun) was able to weld the exhaust manifold so it looks like we'll be giving Savuti another try tomorrow first light. These washboard roads beat the tar of your vehicle, hours of filling loosening, kidney bruising, badly maintained roads. You really have to pay your dues to get to these remote safari sites.

But I'm happy to report that the Indy's seem built for Botswana bushland. They are no posers, and I have to emphasize the out of the box comfort.

Last edited:

ecworks

Reaction score
I agree, love those guys!
Also saw an even more rare wild cat, all the seasoned safari guides were the most impressed to hear about our sighting of this reclusive feral cat.

ecworks

Reaction score
I tend to agree with you, all the scratches, etc are adding up to a memorable patina that I'll try to keep, every time I wear them I'll remember the adventures in this beautiful country taking a new pair of Indys into the wild.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Those Indy boots are looking awesome!!! Really like the shot on the termite mound :)

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bad news, about 1 1/2 hours out of Maun, on the way to Savuti we discovered a split seam on the rear of the exhaust manifold (70 series Land Cruiser), how we knew? The Land Cruiser suddenly started sounding like a very old Allis Chalmers tractor.
Had to turn around and limp back into Maun and we have a local Toyota repair shop attempting to weld/repair the exhaust manifold so hopefully we can head out first thing tomorrow morning for Savuti. Out here when it comes to your vehicle you always have to err on the side of caution, especially if you are heading out to a very remote area.

Update:
Toyota shop in town (Maun) was able to weld the exhaust manifold so it looks like we'll be giving Savuti another try tomorrow first light. These washboard roads beat the tar of your vehicle, hours of filling loosening, kidney bruising, badly maintained roads. You really have to pay your dues to get to these remote safari sites.

But I'm happy to report that the Indy's seem built for Botswana bushland. They are no posers, and I have to emphasize the out of the box comfort.
You had me at Land Cruiser...

20191226_131956.jpg

Our 80 series is a mountain goat. The LC pairs perfectly with workhorse Indy's.

ecworks

Reaction score
Just rolled back into Maun after a pretty eventful trip to Savuti which had to be extended due to multiple breakdowns of our LandCruiser.
After our initial exhaust manifold hole mishap we headed out again a day late but shortly after arriving in camp our refrigerator/cooler died, full of our food and no place to buy anymore. So we went into survival mode and started cooking the most perishable items first. Eventually everything went room temperature or higher so we ended up rationing the can goods, oatmeal, crackers and the water we brought. Ended lasted from Saturday night to Wednesday evening with nothing remaining and 3 liters of water for the trip back.

During the game drives we started having the first of many mechanical issues/breakdowns.

#1. We were at a water buffalo kill involving the Marsh pride of lions lead by their legendary leader "Sekekama"

We got very close to watch the amazing feeding frenzy as this pride of over 12 lions, females, sub-adults, 2 adult males and some juveniles ate themselves into a stupor. Then one young male sought shade under our Land Cruiser and fell asleep. Then things got really interesting. We decided to leave and turned the key and it would not start, dead battery. Not a soul around and surrounded by lions eating a water buffalo that would keep them their for at least 2 days. Even if someone did show up how would they jump start us or hookup a tow strap with lions that close?

Eventually we got it to start and got out of there. 30 minutes of increased concern followed by huge relief. Turns out our battery was almost dry. Got back to camp and poured water to fill each cell and it was serviceable but still a weak battery with 3 more days left at camp. Not good.

The last night we discovered a major leak at the transfer gear box, leak in the lines that dumped most of our oil. We discover this in camp as we found a conspicuous oil trail snaking around the camp leading back to our tent. It was our LC pumping out transfer case oil.
Recruited a mechanic from nearby lodge and had it patched up by noon the next day (thanks Luther!). Headed back to Maun but 1/2 hour down the very tough sandy road we sprang a coolant leak, major. We had called a friend from Maun to head up to rescue us and he arrived with tow strap. We initially tried using our winch but, of course, it runs off our very weak battery and it died in mid-pull. We had to remove a couple of drive shafts in the bush (lion country remember) and then started an 8 hour, very slow tow thru very tough roads, getting stuck a couple of times but rolling into Maun near midnight after a 12 hour towing experience thru bad road at very slow speeds.

The Indys made it thru fine. Snapped one of the laces mainly due to the sharp edges of the speed lacing hooks.

Lesson, keep your vehicle in good repair. One thing breaks in the bush and that could be the start of a domino effect of issues that escalate into something pretty serious as you get late into the day in lion country in very remote places with no cell service. Satellite phones are great to have. Also, highly recommend Savuti. And the night skies were amazing, such dark skies that I saw the Andromeda galaxy, very large object (as wide as 3 moons) but very faint. In very dark sky areas it is a naked eye object.

Totally random encounter with shoe polish in the bush. The camp had a small "store" known as a Tuck or Tuc shop and on the top shelf, for no apparent reason was a box of Kiwi black shoe polish, not brown or neutral, black. Never found out why they would stock that in this remote location.

Now that I've returned to Maun I cleaned up the Indy's with a damp cloth as before. No product here to use to it is damp cloth and dry until I return to the states.

some pics below

Attachments

• IMG-1463.JPG
    IMG-1463.JPG
    370.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG-1473.JPG
    IMG-1473.JPG
    292.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG-1477.JPG
    IMG-1477.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG-1478.JPG
    IMG-1478.JPG
    238.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG-1481.JPG
    IMG-1481.JPG
    305.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG-1482.JPG
    IMG-1482.JPG
    258 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG-1488.JPG
    IMG-1488.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG-1455.JPG
    IMG-1455.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 100
  • image_123927839 (3).JPG
    image_123927839 (3).JPG
    281.4 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG-1498.JPG
    IMG-1498.JPG
    219 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG-1421.PNG
    IMG-1421.PNG
    279.8 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG-1407.JPG
    IMG-1407.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG-1458.JPG
    IMG-1458.JPG
    314.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG-1491.JPG
    IMG-1491.JPG
    334.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG-1492.JPG
    IMG-1492.JPG
    575.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG-1490.JPG
    IMG-1490.JPG
    252.2 KB · Views: 139
  • Sekekama.jpg
    Sekekama.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

Drzdave58

Reaction score
Just rolled back into Maun after a pretty eventful trip to Savuti which had to be extended due to multiple breakdowns of our LandCruiser.
After our initial exhaust manifold hole mishap we headed out again a day late but shortly after arriving in camp our refrigerator/cooler died, full of our food and no place to buy anymore. So we went into survival mode and started cooking the most perishable items first. Eventually everything went room temperature or higher so we ended up rationing the can goods, oatmeal, crackers and the water we brought. Ended lasted from Saturday night to Thursday morning with nothing remaining and 3 liters of water for the trip back.

During the game drives we started having the first of many mechanical issues/breakdowns.

#1. We were at a water buffalo kill involving the Marsh pride of lions lead by their legendary leader "SecaComa" (think that is the spelling). We got very close to watch the amazing feeding frenzy as this pride of over 15 lions, females, sub-adults, 2 adult males and some juveniles ate themselves into a stupor. Then one young male sought shade under our Land Cruiser and fell asleep. Then things got really interesting. We decided to leave and turned the key and it would not start, dead battery. Not a soul around and surrounded by lions eating a water buffalo that would keep them their for at least 2 days. Even if someone did show up how would they jump start us or hookup a tow strap with lions that close?

Eventually we got it to start and got out of there. 30 minutes of increased concern followed by huge relief. Turns out our battery was almost dry. Got back to camp and poured water to fill each cell and it was serviceable but still a weak battery with 3 more days left at camp. Not good.

The last night we discovered a major leak at the transfer gear box, leak in the lines that dumped most of our oil. We discover this in camp as we found a conspicuous oil trail snaking around the camp leading back to our tent. It was our LC pumping out transfer case oil.
Recruited a mechanic from nearby lodge and had it patched up by noon the next day (thanks Luther!). Headed back to Maun but 1/2 hour down the very tough sandy road we sprang a coolant leak, major. We had called a friend from Maun to head up to rescue us and he arrived with tow strap. We had to remove a couple of drive shafts in the bush (lion country remember) and then started an 8 hour, very slow tow thru very tough roads, getting stuck a couple of times but rolling into Maun near midnight after a 12 hour towing experience thru bad road at very slow speeds.

The Indys made it thru fine. Snapped one of the laces mainly due to the sharp edges of the speed lacing hooks.

Lesson, keep your vehicle in good repair. One thing breaks in the bush and that could be the start of a domino effect of issues that escalate into something pretty serious as you get late into the day in lion country in very remote places with no cell service. Satellite phones are great to have. Also, highly recommend Savuti. And the night skies were amazing, such dark skies that I saw the Andromeda galaxy, very large object (as wide as 3 moons) but very faint. In very dark sky areas it is a naked eye object.

some pics below
Wow! Your Indies almost became lion food! I hope You take care of those boots better than they take care of their truck.?

ecworks

Reaction score
Wow! Your Indies almost became lion food! I hope You take care of those boots better than they take care of their truck.?
These roads just beat up any vehicle. The gravel roads are the worst, like extreme washboards for miles and miles. This Land Cruiser just accumulated enough issues that became apparent at the worst possible time, in the middle of a remote safari.

In the shop now in Maun getting fixed up.

ecworks

Reaction score
More bumps in the road, came down with Covid-19 and just ending my 10 day initial quarantine, will actually stay isolated for 14 days and then get tested. I was vaccinated back in April but still came down with a pretty intense version of the virus. Didn't drop into my lungs but upper sinus clogging and super tired. No smell or taste either. After 10 days just starting to feel up to doing anything. Had to reschedule our flights out of Botswana and even then it is not sure thing as you must test negative to get on the plane, they won't accept a letter of Covid-19 recovery. That could be problematic as it is possible to test positive for weeks if not months after Covid-19 recovery even though you aren't contagious. So I'm stuck here for a while.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads