• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Indy Appreciation Thread

DG123

Reaction score
^ I would just go with the Indys if price is not an issue. It's more "streamlined" VS Red Wing (more bulky work boots). Not to mention for most people that are new to RW in general, the hard break-in totally puts them off (VS Alden). OR Thursday Boots are another cheaper option in case he may turn out to be a "sneaker guy" only and doesnt like boots at all.

My daughter is also in College (1st year in UC Santa Cruz) and I visit her once a month and I notice a lot of guys on campus only wear white Nike Airs or converse sneakers. Haven't noticed anyone wearing boots in general.

I agree with your points about the Indy boots more streamlined appearance and easier break-in experience compared to an Iron Ranger. I will probably buy him a pair of Indy boots and if he doesn't wear them during his college years maybe a few years down the road he will wear them.

SSingh1975

Reaction score
While I'm awaiting delivery of my 405, what socks yall wear? I've been wearing the bland Costco Merino socks for years (gets the job done and for $12/3pair, u cant beat the price!). Works very well with my Red Wing boots.

Thinking to 'up' my game. I was out and about today and noticed a dood wearing Wolverine boots with red socks (hemmed pants). I really liked that look but thought it'd be creepy if I asked some random guy on the street as to what socks he was wearing.

So asking here :).

ltjaw

Reaction score
While I'm awaiting delivery of my 405, what socks yall wear? I've been wearing the bland Costco Merino socks for years (gets the job done and for $12/3pair, u cant beat the price!). Works very well with my Red Wing boots.

Thinking to 'up' my game. I was out and about today and noticed a dood wearing Wolverine boots with red socks (hemmed pants). I really liked that look but thought it'd be creepy if I asked some random guy on the street as to what socks he was wearing.

If you want to up your socks game, check out Chup.

SSingh1975

Reaction score
Got my 405s just now ...pre-owned for $300 ..did a horse-hair brush and replaced the cheap laces with red win taslan laces. Boots fit like a glove!! I was skeptical of the 405 color (seeing online) but loving it in real life. Not so orangy and a deep brownish/red hue.

Not sure if this is the older version or the newer one that's supposedly has less orange hue in the color.
20210524_152128.jpg

WestLinn

Reaction score
^ I would just go with the Indys if price is not an issue. It's more "streamlined" VS Red Wing (more bulky work boots). Not to mention for most people that are new to RW in general, the hard break-in totally puts them off (VS Alden). OR Thursday Boots are another cheaper option in case he may turn out to be a "sneaker guy" only and doesnt like boots at all.

My daughter is also in College (1st year in UC Santa Cruz) and I visit her once a month and I notice a lot of guys on campus only wear white Nike Airs or converse sneakers. Haven't noticed anyone wearing boots in general.
My son has a couple of classmates going to UCSC. I liked the place but didn't like the hills. He chose that UC school down in LA and I am quite sure he will never wear boots there. I can't remember seeing anyone under 25 wearing boots in the last many years (other than around where I grew up in Colorado and those were all cowboy boots) and I used to live in Portland, hipster ground zero.

WestLinn

Reaction score
I have no idea if the looks of one of them would appeal to a college student more than the other. I do believe the quality of leather and availability of width sizing makes the Alden a superior boot.

While I would love for my son to wear boots, I just don't see him giving up the Nikes, Adidas, ... any time soon. And while I think there will always be some guys who turn to boots from other shoes over time, I personally feel that there are the boot guys who have worn boots all their lives (I still have some boots that I wore over 40 years ago) and who will continue to buy them, there are those who have become boot guys due to the trend and will remain boot guys, and then there are the boot guys who only got boots for the same reason they grew beards and went and got tribal arm band tattoos and who will be chasing the next trend in the coming months/years (and who will be selling their boots in droves or having them collect dust in their closets). So, a long story to say "good luck" with him and I hope he likes whatever you get him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he never really wears them (I don't know anything about your son, but he sounds like he isn't a boot guy yet). I will be surprised if my son ever wears a pair of dress shoes for more than a wedding or an occasional night out personally. I see him working at a startup in four years and never wearing anything but joggers and sweatshirts.

DG123

Reaction score

Actually, a few days ago I learned that my son accepted a summer job at a restaurant where he will be standing/walking on tile floors for his work shifts. So, I ordered for him a pair of Wolverine 1000 mile boots with a wedge sole. If he does not like the style or fit I will return the boots.
He's home with us for a few days this week and the boots will arrive tomorrow. Other than photos, I've never seen a pair of 1000 Mile boots, but I figured Made in USA and wedge sole was worth a look.

Last edited:

DG123

Reaction score
That I can tell ya right now as I did own the 403 some years back. IMO, the Iron Ranger and Indys sizing is identical. Both run 1/2 size larger.

E.g in my Allen Edmonds boots, I wear US9. My Alden back then and my IR are both US8.5. I also own the RW Moc Toe in the same size.

The key thing with the IR is it takes months to actually break down the leather footbed and get the thick leather to mold around your feet. With the Indy, breakin is very very minimal. From what I remember, the overall comfort goes to the Indys (not saying the IR aren't comfortable but the Indy's are better cushioned inside and the footbed is more forgiving). That being said, I sold my Indys years ago and kept my Iron Ranger and even after 3 years of constant wear, it looks very very good.

Hope this helps!
View attachment 1611683

A few days ago I did stop by a Red Wing store and tried on a pair of Iron Rangers. My Alden Indy 405 size is 12.5B.
I tried on the Iron Ranger in a size 12 and the volume was too tall at the instep and toe box area. The length felt o.k. for walking about the store, but my guess is that for any significant distance walking the length of the size 12 would be too short.
I agree with your post that the Alden Indy and Red Wing Iron Ranger sizing is the same. However, Red Wing does not produce size 12.5, or a B width, so I will not be getting myself a pair of Iron Ranger boots.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Got my 405s just now ...pre-owned for $300 ..did a horse-hair brush and replaced the cheap laces with red win taslan laces. Boots fit like a glove!! I was skeptical of the 405 color (seeing online) but loving it in real life. Not so orangy and a deep brownish/red hue.

Not sure if this is the older version or the newer one that's supposedly has less orange hue in the color.
View attachment 1614977
I can't believe I didn't know this thread existed until today. Big Indy fan here. 405's were a darker brown, then went pumpkin orange, then within past year or two, went back to a reddish brown. Here is a photo of pumpkins
IMG_8204.JPG

Luscombe

Reaction score

Just read through this entire thread and saw your question. I have purged all of my socks and transitioned exclusively to merino wool socks, year round. My favorite are Darn Tough. They have different thicknesses, cushions and styles. All come with a lifetime guarantee! And they are made in USA.
I also wear SmartWool too.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just read through this entire thread and saw your question. I have purged all of my socks and transitioned exclusively to merino wool socks, year round. My favorite are Darn Tough. They have different thicknesses, cushions and styles. All come with a lifetime guarantee! And they are made in USA.
I also wear SmartWool too.
+1 on both brands. Another decent one is Thorlo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads