• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Indy Appreciation Thread

DG123

Reaction score
Below are photos of the Foot Balance rubber heel cap which Alden uses for their cork sole Indy boots. My experience has been that the Alden cap wears relatively fast. The SoleTech brand of aftermarket heel caps fits the Alden Thomas heel and seems to provide 50% more longevity than the Alden heel cap. Specifically, for my boots I wear thru 3 pairs of the Alden heel caps each year, and the Sole Tech heel caps require replacement twice per year.
IMG_9102.JPG
IMG_9103.JPG

IMG_9104.JPG

kelpqq

Reaction score
I guess during the past year or two the Indy boot with a wedge sole has been a make up from a few retailers. If anybody here has worn a pair please reply with your opinion of how they compare to the Neocork or Commando soled Indy boots. Thanks.

Here was mine, not quite worn in, I sold them when I moved. They were on another level in terms of comfort. I don't perfer the neocork sole Indys for the reasons you listed later, the heel wear away way too quickly and the lack grip.

DG123

Reaction score

Here was mine, not quite worn in, I sold them when I moved. They were on another level in terms of comfort. I don't perfer the neocork sole Indys for the reasons you listed later, the heel wear away way too quickly and the lack grip.

I don't mind replacing the heel caps of my Indy boots. It's only about .25" at the rear edge of the heel caps that gets worn away (yet the entire cap needs replacing because if the rear edge rubber wears away that will mean the actual leather heel would become compromised).
Regarding the wedge sole Indy boots I am considering ordering a pair and expect that when the rear edge of the wedge sole wears away I could just continue wearing the boot that way without affecting its integrity-support. The only thing stopping me from ordering a pair is that all the pre-order make ups I've seen with wedge sole also come with brass eyelets/speed lace hooks. The bright brassy look is not something I especially want, but I am thinking about it.

Last edited:

DG123

Reaction score
For daily exercise walks I've been rotating my 8 year old 405 boots with a new pair of 405's. My size in this boot is a B width, not a width Alden stocks except for the model 405 model. Five years ago I considered special ordering my B width in the 401 (black), but never got around to doing it. So, now I've gone ahead and placed an order for a pair which I hope to receive within the next few months :).

SSingh1975

Reaction score
Just chiming back in after like 3 years...I owned the 403 (cxl) for a year and loved the comfort. However, the Cxl turned into a love-hate relationship. That leather scuffs so easily and requires almost regular brushing. The worst part was the boots creased up a LOT (no pictures as I ebayed it years ago). And the most weird part was the boots fit perfectly at first but later, I experienced some slippage and had to revert to putting an in-sole. I also own a pair of Red Wing Iron ranger and still own it to this day.

I'm looking to pick up another pair of Indy's again but thinking to get the 405 (calf leather) instead. I think I'm going to be that minority group that just hates CXL leather now.

DG123

Reaction score
I'm looking to pick up another pair of Indy's again but thinking to get the 405 (calf leather) instead. I think I'm going to be that minority group that just hates CXL leather now.

My pair of 405 calf/work boot leather fit has remained the same for 8 years. At the present time Alden offers the calf/work boot leather in brown (405) and black (401). If the company could offer the same leather in a tan and, or, natural color I think it might be a good seller.

ac106

Reaction score
My pair of 405 calf/work boot leather fit has remained the same for 8 years. At the present time Alden offers the calf/work boot leather in brown (405) and black (401). If the company could offer the same leather in a tan and, or, natural color I think it might be a good seller.

The 401 is CXL. I realize Alden calls it "workbook leather" and lots of retailers list it as such but its CXL. Jim Pietryka from Ealdwine and Alden Madison has confirmed this, as has people who own the boot.

ac106

Reaction score
Just chiming back in after like 3 years...I owned the 403 (cxl) for a year and loved the comfort. However, the Cxl turned into a love-hate relationship. That leather scuffs so easily and requires almost regular brushing. The worst part was the boots creased up a LOT (no pictures as I ebayed it years ago). And the most weird part was the boots fit perfectly at first but later, I experienced some slippage and had to revert to putting an in-sole. I also own a pair of Red Wing Iron ranger and still own it to this day.

we are bigger than you think :)

DG123

Reaction score
we are bigger than you think :)

I find the look of CXL fine, but the CXL upper 403 boot did not fit me as well as the calf/work boot upper 405. Specifically, the CXL was a looser fitting boot.

DG123

Reaction score
The 401 is CXL. I realize Alden calls it "workbook leather" and lots of retailers list it as such but its CXL. Jim Pietryka from Ealdwine and Alden Madison has confirmed this, as has people who own the boot.

The pair of 401's I saw in a store looked and felt to the touch the same as my pair of 405 work boot leather. Alden's catalog reads that the 401 is work boot leather. Based on this I ordered a pair of 401's and am hopeful it is work boot leather (or at least fits me as well as my pairs of 405).

SSingh1975

Reaction score
Just my luck! Picked up the 405 from another member here in the same size I was looking for. Stoked. Time to clean my RW Moc Moe and Iron Ranger and put them up for sale.....

DG123

Reaction score
Just my luck! Picked up the 405 from another member here in the same size I was looking for. Stoked. Time to clean my RW Moc Moe and Iron Ranger and put them up for sale.....
When you've worn your new 405's please reply to this thread about how your size/fit compares to your Iron Ranger pair.

SSingh1975

Reaction score
That I can tell ya right now as I did own the 403 some years back. IMO, the Iron Ranger and Indys sizing is identical. Both run 1/2 size larger.

E.g in my Allen Edmonds boots, I wear US9. My Alden back then and my IR are both US8.5. I also own the RW Moc Toe in the same size.

The key thing with the IR is it takes months to actually break down the leather footbed and get the thick leather to mold around your feet. With the Indy, breakin is very very minimal. From what I remember, the overall comfort goes to the Indys (not saying the IR aren't comfortable but the Indy's are better cushioned inside and the footbed is more forgiving). That being said, I sold my Indys years ago and kept my Iron Ranger and even after 3 years of constant wear, it looks very very good.

Hope this helps!
20210514_110848.jpg

When you've worn your new 405's please reply to this thread about how your size/fit compares to your Iron Ranger pair.

DG123

Reaction score
That I can tell ya right now as I did own the 403 some years back. IMO, the Iron Ranger and Indys sizing is identical. Both run 1/2 size larger.

E.g in my Allen Edmonds boots, I wear US9. My Alden back then and my IR are both US8.5. I also own the RW Moc Toe in the same size.

The key thing with the IR is it takes months to actually break down the leather footbed and get the thick leather to mold around your feet. With the Indy, breakin is very very minimal. From what I remember, the overall comfort goes to the Indys (not saying the IR aren't comfortable but the Indy's are better cushioned inside and the footbed is more forgiving). That being said, I sold my Indys years ago and kept my Iron Ranger and even after 3 years of constant wear, it looks very very good.

Hope this helps!
View attachment 1611683

Thanks. Red Wing does not offer the Iron Ranger in my size (12.5B ), but I've been thinking of buying a pair of Iron Ranger's for my college age son. So, the sizing information you've given is helpful.
Like many/most college students he usually wears sneakers, flip flops etc...and I would like to get him to try some better quality, more supportive footwear. Comparing the Alden Indy boot, Red Wring Iron Ranger, Wolverine 1000 Mile boot etc...
I have no idea if the looks of one of them would appeal to a college student more than the other. I do believe the quality of leather and availability of width sizing makes the Alden a superior boot.

SSingh1975

Reaction score
^ I would just go with the Indys if price is not an issue. It's more "streamlined" VS Red Wing (more bulky work boots). Not to mention for most people that are new to RW in general, the hard break-in totally puts them off (VS Alden). OR Thursday Boots are another cheaper option in case he may turn out to be a "sneaker guy" only and doesnt like boots at all.

My daughter is also in College (1st year in UC Santa Cruz) and I visit her once a month and I notice a lot of guys on campus only wear white Nike Airs or converse sneakers. Haven't noticed anyone wearing boots in general.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads