• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Indy Appreciation Thread

Neognosis

Reaction score
though that was not directed at me, I'll respond by saying that for me, I can fit a 9D Barrie, but a 9E Barrie is more comfortable. So, I think I'll try a 9D Truebalance.

Thoughts?

Carson

Reaction score
though that was not directed at me, I'll respond by saying that for me, I can fit a 9D Barrie, but a 9E Barrie is more comfortable. So, I think I'll try a 9D Truebalance.

Thoughts?
That's what I wear. Trubalance is a more generous last than barrie, but not by a lot. What do you wear in other shoes/boots for comparison? What model Indy are you interested in?

Neognosis

Reaction score
I wear a 9 1/2 E in Allen Edmonds 65 last. I have a pair of 10D wolverine 1000 miles, but they are too big, and a pair of redwing beckman's in 10 that are too long and too narrow.

I am interested in leather soul's ultimate Indy, but barring that, something on a commando sole. So, just starting research in preparation for a late summer/early fall purchase.

typericey

Reaction score
Do you know your size yet in Alden's trubalance last?
I haven't tried on one, but based on the suggestions from the main Alden Thread, it looks like I'm an 8.5D.

I'll be going to HK next month and I am hoping my schedule allows a visit to Tassels, and that they have a 405 in my size available.

Carson

Reaction score
I wear a 9 1/2 E in Allen Edmonds 65 last. I have a pair of 10D wolverine 1000 miles, but they are too big, and a pair of redwing beckman's in 10 that are too long and too narrow.

I am interested in leather soul's ultimate Indy, but barring that, something on a commando sole. So, just starting research in preparation for a late summer/early fall purchase.

Yeah, I would imagine the 1000 mile and beckman are way too big.

Here's how I size up:
Brannock measurement @ 9.5D

AE Dalton 9.5 d (could do an E)
RW Beckman 9D
Wolverine 1000 9D
Alden Barrie 9D+
Alden Trubalance 9D
White's semi dress 9E

As for commando, yes, the ultimate Indy is great, BUT I've heard the Epaulet is going to get in some stock models of their Alden x Epaulet Innsbruck model, which I think is better than the LS Ultimate. It's brown CXL on commando, but it has brass eyes and hooks. Looks great. Get on their email list or send them an inquiry, since it's coming up.

Also, Alden of Carmel almost exclusively does boots on commando sole. All stuff to think about…also, I've done plenty of buying and selling on EBAY, so it's also a good place to look for an Indy at a discount...

Last edited:

Neognosis

Reaction score
Thank you, the advice is much appreciated. I'll continue to monitor this thread, and hopefully contribute some pictures in the fall.

Carson

Reaction score
So, these are trubalance lasted Tanker boots and technically not Indy's (the hand-sewn split toe in the front is the difference), but I am posting them here to let folks know that
having brass eyes and hooks on certain Indy models (brown CXL and color 8 come to mind) really makes them look great. Randy the Cobbler, in Tempe, AZ did a fine job with these (he also did an antiqued edging, which looks great with color 8) and he is getting some business from people on the main Alden thread. Also, Brian Truong, "Brian the Bootmaker" who hand makes his Role Club boots, also does great work. He is in Los Angeles (Torrance). Just some of the cool ways you can modify stock Indy's...

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

#8, Whiskey cordo, black cordo, ultimate brown cxl, snuff , blue.

Oops, and cigar cordo too.

Last edited:

dsk321

Reaction score
just put in an order for indy 405 original brown from sherman brothers. I'm taking an educated guess at my size (10.5ee) and they are the only shop with that particular width. Went to Carroll and Co in Beverly hills and even though they only carry D's (that was a tight squeeze trying on an 11d), finally getting to handle all the styles up close got me fairly giddy.

Carson

Reaction score
Brian Truong of Role Club Boots, just installed these solid brass eyes and hooks on my Indy 403s. Less than 10 day turnaround on these and great work. Brass and brown CXL are a great combo, IMHO...

GONZOtheMAN

Reaction score
Hey everyone

Here are my Indy CXL boots. I beat the hell out of these boots. The pictures I have provided are from when the back sides of the boots took a serious beating with some concrete. It may appear that this is dried mud but it is just CXL that has been scraped down pretty badly. And the next pictures are after some Venetian Shoe Cream has been applied. These pictures were taken a few weeks apart so the exposed ‘raw’ leather was subjected to the elements before I had a chance to clean them. Damn good boots.

Cleaning Procedure:
Damp cloth
Wipe down dry
Brush
Venetian Shoe Cream
Brush

Carson

Reaction score
My 403's just arrived back from bookmaker Brian Truong in Los Angeles this afternoon. Just pulled them out of the box a few minutes ago, and I am very happy with his work…less than 2 week turnaround and $45 (+$15 return shipping). Brass and brown CXL is a great combo. Brian also makes amazing hand-welted engineer boots with some of the best Horween leather you can get...

gr789

Reaction score
Gonzo- great post demonstrating the durability and versatility of CXL Indy boots.

Carson - loving the brass hardware conversions you've been showing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads