The Official Affordable Swag Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by AJPA, Dec 19, 2011.

1. AJPA

AJPA Well-Known Member

I was actually thinking about a pair of these

Also Uncontrol mentioned leather converse as being a great budget sneaker, I have to agree

Im really starting to hate chinos too =( Its all anywhere sells anymore when it comes to pants and they are all the same (boring)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011

2. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

There needs to be some sort of bar as to what constitutes "affordable" ...

3. AJPA

AJPA Well-Known Member

I agree, but Idk what that would be, Id be more than happy to set one in the first post or the title of the thread (If that can be changed)

Id say 150 dollars for outerwear/shoes

Under 100 for shirts/pants/sweaters

?? any other ideas

Also

[​IMG]

Can be found for pretty cheap, still only 95$? full price

4. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I actually wanted to ask this but coming from me, people would just think I was being a jackass. I remember the "conditioning" thread where people posted their limit on certain items and what they deemed reasonable was surprised at how much higher it was than expected. So for affordable, I wouldn't put Epaulet or R&B or even APC into the mix. When it comes to chinos, the JCrew Bowery Urban Slim Fits are perfect fit for me and can be had for $35 (50% off at MrPorter) to $50 (30% off at JCrew) is what I would deem affordable. Epaulet is still at $170-$180 range for a pair of trousers.
    $40 for H&M jeans is a rip-off, I get my jeans from there for $15-$20 the most. If you're going for $40, go with Levis. They have plenty of different fits now to accommodate anyone, 510, 511, 513, 514, 521, etc...

5. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Just buy the regular chucks, you're paying double for the heart logo. It's awesome but if you're on a budget, just get the $30 alternative.

6. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Quote:
    I didn't think Levi's sold overdyed black jeans? I wouldn't buy any of h&m's regular colors (ie, blue).

7. AJPA

AJPA Well-Known Member

I was thinking of Levi's as well for a pair of black jeans, Fuuma had said he had a pair of (511?) that he really liked.

I don't mind the inclusion of midrange stuff, but I agree maybe thats not for this thread. So maybe well just see where it goes? arguing about prices etc could be a good thing

Also RFX, any ideas on non chino pants?

8. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

I really like Uniqlo's black overdye. Proxy from suddenlee seems reasonable enough if you're ordering a few things. They charged me $22 for shipping AND fees for products worth $160.

9. AJPA

AJPA Well-Known Member

I was wondering how this worked, from what i've been reading seems like a pretty good service as long as you aren't buying say a single item. Does the service fee scale if you buy more items or from different stores?

10. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

[​IMG]

Add $4 or something to the total if you're not on the east coast.

11. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

12. AJPA

AJPA Well-Known Member

I was basing this off uniqlo/+j/gap pricing too, Im just not sure what to set as a price :embar: I think I got my last two coats for all under 100 dollars, one from gap and one from martin+osa when it was still in business, these were on sale though. Any suggestions?

13. dibango

dibango Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

beaters, tho

14. ennui

ennui Senior member

Suddenlee works great if you are buying over $150-200 of stuff, as the proxy fees become lower than most of the individual proxiers on here around that point, and they seem quick to respond and eager to please. And they do returns.

I consider affordable stuff to be $50 or lower for pants/shirts/etc., $100 or lower for suit separates/shoes/etc. Basically anything that I wouldn't care if it got lost or trashed. Basically half of my wardrobe is this stuff because it works well enough when combined with more expensive, nicer articles of clothing.

My recommendations for affordable stuff (I'm short and sort-of skinny):

Jeans:
    I like 511s as they have the perfect fit for me and can be had for as low as $20-25 if you are willing to wait for the right deal. Perfect beater jeans.

Button-up shirts:
    I'm a fan of Club Monaco slim-fit button-up shirts on deep discount. The XS especially in a slim fit I will essentially insta-kop if the pattern is good and the price is $29 or lower.

J. Crew slim-fit XS is a really good fit for me. When on sale these can be had for $30-40.

Suits:
    Uniqlo +J suit separates are a great deal when on sale; they are the only suit I have tried that needs virtually no alternations. Most of them are not 100% wool though if you care. Too bad the collaboration is over after this season.

Shoes:
    Fratelli Rossettis when on sale on Yoox are probably the only sub-100$ dress shoe I would buy. Otherwise you are talking about ALDOs and house-branch crap from Macy's - definitely do not go there.

A couple of Vans can pass in a pinch for a low-key, low-profile casual sneaker for around $50 or so on sale. Otherwise I haven't seen anything that even comes close my MMM GATs or CPs for sneakers.

Sweaters:
    Express Men's wool v-necks on sale are a good choice if you want a sweater in this price range. They don't pill much and are thin but not super-thin. There is no good cheap cashmere sweater - skip the J. Crew and others in this price range, even when on sale.

15. istasi

istasi Senior member

Anyone got recs for where to kop cheap, longish tees?