The Official Affordable Swag Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by AJPA, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Kross

Kross Senior member

I think that's what I'm gonna have to do as well. /collegelife

2. jaychiz

jaychiz Senior member

this thread is really isolated to uniqlo and mall, it's not really going to go anywhere

affordable varies, plus there are plenty of threads about "college budget fashion"

3. dibango

dibango Senior member

plus I'd like to see some worldwide options. outside US anyways.

4. worakl

worakl Senior member

Well, in Europe COS is a great alternative, at least on sale.

5. dibango

dibango Senior member

What in particular? I think I heard their sweaters can be pretty high end.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  6. surrender

surrender Senior member

Well, having an OP about how to spend wisely on clothes would be a good idea - general advice on what belongs in a proper wardrobe, and stuff that's worth splurging on early. Also, maybe something on good brands that regularly appear on Gilt and Yoox

7. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

This thread never really went in the direction I was hoping it would. You don't have to buy everything. If you're broke you're pretty much stuck with jeans/tshirts/uniqlo, and you can either buy some designer swag to look a little more creative... or just actually be a little more creative. Some thoughts from the King:

Jewelry is totally overlooked on this forum. It's also super cheap. I never really got the point of buying designer jewelry; I'd rather have a ring that I bought from a leper in Morocco than some fancy thing from Margiela that doubles as bottle opener or whatever. Mick Jagger used to tie all sorts of stuff he found around the world into his hair, partly because he's a drug-addled old man but I think it looks pretty cool. You can find stuff all over the place, rings are like $15 in the mall and random jewelry is usually under $20 from street vendors in pretty much any city in the world. Tshirt + jeans = boring, but tshirt + jeans + cool shiny swag looks real good.

[​IMG]

Also, don't be afraid to make stuff. If you're like me you've got like 7 pairs of bootcut jeans sitting around. It'll take you about an hour with a sewing machine to taper a pair, and enough dye to turn then black / pink / tie dye or whatever will run you about $10 at Michaels. Also, those Undercoverism / RRL jeans that're distressed to perfection can be kinda replicated with an afternoon and some fabric from random stuff you don't wear anymore.

You can get a watch cap and gloves from a hardware store for a few dollars and cut the fingers off.

The ladies' section at Marshalls usually has a bunch of scarves for under $15. Avoid the cashmere ones because they're crap but sometimes the cotton ones are pretty nice.

I always wished SF was more into making things than shelling out for designer goods, but I guess those people get sucked up by Etsy and end up making throw pillows shaped like dinosaurs and shit instead. I'll try to think of more stuff later.

8. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

That photo up there sucks.

9. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

10. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I have three beat up american apparel organic cotton shirts, nice jeans, and some boots; that is pretty much the extent of my wardrobe yet I still get comments on how well I dress.

11. Noctone

Noctone Senior member

Part of it is relative to where you live. You can get away with a lot less outside of the major metropolitan areas. I've been living in Nebraska since 2002 (Omaha since 2008, Lincoln before that) and I've literally met only one person in this state who was even aware of the simple concept of raw denim. "High end" clothing here means stuff like Diesel, Hugo Boss and William Rast.

12. wogbog

wogbog Senior member

Specific question: I'd like some white V-necks that fit like pre-wash Hanes (fairly long) that are roughly the same price, any suggestions? Would buying Hanes and only air drying them stop shrinkage?

13. byte

byte Member

I agree. If I saw someone on the street in that outfit, I wouldn't assume he had put any effort into his dress at all--and that, in parallel with it not looking all that great, means I'd probably put it down to laziness and not some impeccably subtle fashion sense. I think getting rid of the jewelry would be an improvement, unless he's on his way to the frat rave.

14. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Quote:

Where the hell do you live where frat boys dress like that? I get Johnny Depp from that, not frat boy.

[​IMG]

15. stick

stick Senior member

You're not Johnny Depp.